Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long Does COVID-19 Immunity Last?

A new study from King’s College London inspired a raft of headlines suggesting that immunity might vanish in months. The truth is a lot more complicated—and, thankfully, less dire.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...months/614377/

Comment

• Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

The Sunday (7/19/20) early afternoon numbers:

Worldwide: 14,312K (+1%) cases & 603K (+1%) deaths
      The USA : 3,782K (+3%) cases & 140K (+1%) deaths
      New York : 407K (+0%) cases & 32,470 (+0%) deaths
      NYC only: 221K (+0%) cases & 16,261 (+0%) deaths
      New Jersey: 177K(+0%)cases & 15,706 (+0%) deaths
      Bergen Co.: 19,980(+0%)cases & 2,033 (+0%) deaths

NY, NJ, and Bergen deaths include probable as well as confirmed deaths. NYC deaths are only confirmed deaths.

NJ had 144 new cases and 11 new confirmed deaths.
      NY had 502 new cases and 13 new confirmed deaths.
      The USA had 775 new deaths.

NJ had 766 hospitalizations which is less than 10% of the April peak of 8,065.
      The Monday (7/20/20) early afternoon numbers:

Worldwide: 14,567K (+2%)cases & 607K (+1%) deaths
      The USA : 3,834 (+1%) cases & 141K (+0%) deaths
      New York: 407K (+0%) cases & 32,409 (+0%) deaths
      NYC only: 222K (+0%) cases & 16,264 (+0%) deaths
      New Jersey: 177K(+0%)cases & 15,715 (+0%) deaths
      Bergen Co.: 20,034(+0%)cases & 2,033 (+0%) deaths

New Jersey had 177 new cases & 9 new confirmed deaths.
      New York had 519 new cases & 8 new confirmed deaths.
      New York’s total deaths were revised downward.
      The USA had 372 new deaths.

New Jersey’s positivity rate is 2.80%, & its Rt dropped to 0.90.

New Jersey has 798 hospitalizations and NY has 716.
      Last edited by Halfmiler2; 07-20-2020, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• Meanwhile....

Teachers unions sue Florida’s governor over order requiring schools to reopen despite virus surge.

Teachers unions sued Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida on Monday over his administration’s emergency order pushing schools to fully reopen next month even as coronavirus cases in the state are surging.

The suit, which appears to be the first of its kind across the country, sets up a confrontation between unions and politicians that could change the trajectory of school reopening over the coming weeks. In other parts of the country, including California and parts of Texas, many large school districts have concluded in recent days that it is not safe to hold in-person classes. But Mr. DeSantis, a Republican, has been pushing for things to be different in Florida, which is home to five of the country’s 10 largest districts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/20/w...rus-cases.html

Comment

• Originally posted by J Rorick View Post

India & China are both way lower per Worldometer. Of course, that's if you believe their stats.
          Per Population is the metric.

Comment

• Interesting and compelling view from someone who has long term Covid symptoms.
            "Part of the problem is how we talk about Covid-19. The general narrative tells us that people who contract the virus fall into two categories – those who experience acute or fatal symptoms and require hospitalization, and those who are able to ride the virus out at home, like the flu. This dangerous narrative fails to recognize the experiences of “long-haul” Covid-19 patients, many of whom are initially diagnosed with “mild” cases, but remain sick for months. Since my hospitalization, I’ve heard from hundreds of patients with lingering and debilitating symptoms, including prolonged fevers, extreme weight loss, and neurological issues, despite initially mild diagnoses. Many feel isolated and invisible, as mainstream news coverage and scientific studies are only just starting to delve into the experience of what many are now calling “long-haulers.”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/20/some-covid-19-patients-are-struggling-to-get-doctors-to-listen-heres-why

Comment

• Meanwhile....

People ask me if I’ve recovered from COVID-19. That’s not an easy question to answer

“Are you recovered yet?”

I can’t count how many times I’ve been asked this question in the three months since I came home from the hospital after a near-death experience with COVID-19. I’m grateful for the concern. I don’t know if I would have made it through those 17 days in the hospital, including almost a week on a ventilator, without the thoughts, prayers and other support that I received from family, friends and strangers.

But when I answer this question, explaining the state of my lungs, cough, vocal cords and muscle weakness, I sometimes feel I’m disappointing the questioner, who just wanted a simple “yes.”

So why can’t I just say “yes” when asked if I’ve recovered? Because, to be honest, I don’t know if that’s true.
              When it comes to COVID-19, what is “recovery”? One definition is “a return to a normal state of health, mind or strength.” But what is “normal”?

But I’m still not back to normal, if normal means the way I was before COVID-19. I can’t jog — to say nothing of run — for more than a few minutes. I took a gallon of milk out of the refrigerator the other day for my son, and it felt like a 30-pound barbell. I tried reading a book about fire engines to him, and my voice, while much better than before, can’t make the “whoo-whoo” noise of a fire truck.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...mpression=true

Comment

• been camping in the Sierras for about 3 1/2 weeks...looks like Govs. DeSantis and Kemp continue to drink the kool-aid and you knew The Villages would catch on fire eventually... https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...paign=trending

Comment

• Brazil July 20

Daily new cases 21,749
                  Total Cases 2,121,645

Daily new deaths 718
                  Total deaths 80,251
                  Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

• If you have time to read a really long article on the subject, here's one:

Headline - How to Understand COVID-19 Numbers

https://www.propublica.org/article/h...vid-19-numbers

I won't attempt to summarize it--much too complicated.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1runner1 View Post
                      been camping in the Sierras for about 3 1/2 weeks
                      Where'd you camp at?

Comment

• Meanwhile....

The C.D.C. says the number of people infected ‘far exceeds the number of reported cases’ in parts of the U.S.

The number of people infected with the coronavirus in different parts of the United States wasanywhere from two to 13 times higher than the reported rates for those regions, according to data released Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The findings suggest that large numbers of people who did not have symptoms or did not seek medical care may have kept the virus circulating in their communities. The study is the largest of its kind to date, although some early data was released last month.

“These data continue to show that the number of people who have been infected with the virus that causes Covid-19 far exceeds the number of reported cases,” Dr. Fiona Havers, the C.D.C. researcher who led the study, said in an email. “Many of these people likely had no symptoms or mild illness and may have had no idea that they were infected.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/21/w...-covid-19.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

The Monday (7/20/20) early afternoon numbers:

Worldwide: 14,567K (+2%)cases & 607K (+1%) deaths
                          The USA : 3,834 (+1%) cases & 141K (+0%) deaths
                          New York: 407K (+0%) cases & 32,409 (+0%) deaths
                          NYC only: 222K (+0%) cases & 16,264 (+0%) deaths
                          New Jersey: 177K(+0%)cases & 15,715 (+0%) deaths
                          Bergen Co.: 20,034(+0%)cases & 2,032 (+0%) deaths

New Jersey had 177 new cases & 9 new confirmed deaths.
                          New York had 519 new cases & 8 new confirmed deaths.
                          New York’s total deaths were revised downward.
                          The USA had 372 new deaths.

New Jersey’s positivity rate is 2.80%, & its Rt dropped to 0.90.

New Jersey has 798 hospitalizations and NY has 716.
                          Sorry that we are a little late but we were busy at the Apple Store buying anew iPhone.

The Tuesday (7/21/20) early afternoon numbers:

Worldwide: 14,764K (+1%) cases & 611K (+1%) deaths
                          The USA : 3,896K (+2%) cases & 141K (+0%) deaths
                          New York: 408K (+0%) cases & 32,506 (+0%) deaths
                          NYC only: 222K (+0%) cases & 23,424 (+0%) deaths
                          New Jersey: 177K(+0%)cases & 15,737(+0%) deaths
                          Bergen Co.: 20,052(+0%)cases & 2,032 (+0%) deaths

NY, NYC, NJ, and Bergen deaths include probable and confirmed deaths.

NJ had 424 new cases and 22 new confirmed deaths. Its Rt remained at 0.90.
                          NY had 855 new cases.
                          The USA had 431 new deaths.

NJ added ten states and subtracted one from the quarantine list bringing the total up to 31 states. The entire Delmarva peninsula is now on the list.
                          Last edited by Halfmiler2; 07-22-2020, 01:54 AM.

Comment

• Y'all thought the governors of Georgia and Florida were clueless? How about Missouri?

Headline: Missouri Gov. Says Students Who May Contract Coronavirus at School Are 'Going to Get Over It'

“These kids have got to get back to school,” Parson, a Republican, said during a Friday interview with local radio station KFTK. “They’re at the lowest risk possible. And if they do get [coronavirus disease] COVID-19, which they will — and they will when they go to school — they’re not going to the hospitals. They’re not going to have to sit in doctor’s offices. They’re going to go home and they’re going to get over it.”

“We gotta move on,” Parson, 64, also said about COVID-19 during the interview.
                            https://people.com/politics/missouri...-19-at-school/

Comment

• NJ Governor Murphy said that that if the schools open in September, students will still have the option of remote instruction.

Comment

• White Neighborhoods Have More Access To COVID-19 Testing Sites

With nearly 4 million coronavirus cases across the United States and hospitalizations surging in different parts of the country, there continues to be a growing demand for tests. Today, Americans routinely wait for hours to get an exam — if they can get one at all. Access is not available equally nationwide. Simply put, where Americans live and how much income they earn can still determine the ease with which they get a COVID-19 test.

According to a new, extensive review of testing sites by ABC News,1 FiveThirtyEight and ABC-owned television stations, sites in communities of color in many major cities face higher demand than sites in whiter or wealthier areas in those same cities. The result of this disparity is clear: People of color, especially Black and Hispanic people, are more likely to experience longer wait times and understaffed testing centers.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...testing-sites/

Comment

Working...
                                X