Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BREAKING: Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves issues statewide mask mandate. "I want to see college football. The best way for that to occur is for us all to realize is that wearing a mask, as irritating as that can be & I promise I hate it more than anyone watching, is critical."

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
      meanwhile, the price of your next fur coat may have just gone up.....A million mink culled in Netherlands and Spain amid Covid-19 fur farming havochttps://www.theguardian.com/world/20...virus-outbreak
      Amazing market and story, something we dont see too often. This reminds me of two incidences one when I was a young boy and one just recently. As a young boy i had a neighbor that was a very old man and he would regale us with what to us seemed like fantastic stories, one story was how he would tell us how he made his pocket change as a child in the 1910s. He told us how he would go out to the river and set various traps to catch all manner of furry critters. He would sell the pelts to make some money. Wow, we thought, and we thought picking squash and mowing lawns was tough!!

That was quite a while ago now fast forward recently I was looking at a piece of property and the owner and another old timer was showing me his land and how he and his father had raised mink by the hundreds and he showed me every step of the process and how humane the euthanizing was. He had me just about convinced that a mink had a better life in his cages than in the wild. He also went on to tell me that he and his father had to shut the mink farm down many years prior (definitely more than 25 years ago) because it just wasnt profitable. The mink farms in Canada were just orders of magnitude larger scale operations and they could not compete. It is a mink eat mink world out there!
      Last edited by user4; 08-04-2020, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• After a prolonged period of rising cases, Wisconsin has declined a bit from its maximum of 920 per day down to 840 (over 9 days), while the Daily percentage change is down to 1.67%, the level last seen in late June. Dane Co (i.e., Madison) has declined 50+% since peaking at 105/day (550,000 pop) since July 4 while testing has increased to 2400 persons per day (and number of tests is 30% higher because some have been tested before 180,000 tests, 128,000 people tested) so the fraction of tests that are positive is just under 2%. Positives are still concentrated in younger groups with the 10-19 group starting to catch up on the 20-29 in numbers per day (I have a 17-year old) but the 20-29 make up 40% of the total cases to date. Just 8 in ICU, but some may be from outside the county because it has space and is the regional trauma care center.

I do not know how it will work with UW if it opens, when the bars opened we went from 17/day to 105/day in a week. Schools will start with remote instruction, might be some special circumstances for special needs. The Big Ten is a little more conservative than the SEC; not at all sure we will see any football (no cases from the team reported). Sports limited to in-conference only - not sure that works for XC, might as well red-shirt everyone.

Finally, a mask joke. "If you are refusing to wear a mask due to concern your brain won’t get enough oxygen, I’m here to tell you; that ship has already sailed."

Comment

• Brazil August 4

Daily new cases 56,411
          Total Cases 2,808,076

Daily new deaths 1,394
          Total deaths 96,096
          Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
            BREAKING: Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves issues statewide mask mandate. "I want to see college football. The best way for that to occur is for us all to realize is that wearing a mask, as irritating as that can be & I promise I hate it more than anyone watching, is critical."
            Thank God! A politician who has his priorities straight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
              Meanwhile....in The Atlantic...free to read.

How the Pandemic Defeated America

A virus has brought the world’s most powerful country to its knees.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ailure/614191/
              It's a great article. It's as if the virus is telling us our major weaknesses in our mish mash health system. Not to mention the political one and the class division.

Comment

• Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

The Tuesday (8/4/20) early afternoon numbers:

Worldwide: 18,196K (+1%)cases & 692K(+0%) deaths
                The USA : 4,795 (+1%) cases & 158K (+0%) deaths
                New York : 418K (+0%) cases & 32,719 (+0%) deaths
                NYC only: 226K (+0%) cases & 16,309 (+0%) deaths
                New Jersey: 183K(+0%)cases & 15,847 (+0%) deaths
                Bergen Co.: 20,609(+0%) cases & 2,041 (+0%) deaths

NY, NJ, and Bergen total deaths include probable and confirmed deaths while NYC includes only confirmed deaths.

NJ had 416 new cases and 11 new confirmed deaths -several days of very low death numbers.

NY had 746 new cases & only 5 new confirmed deaths.
                NYC had 316 new cases & no new confirmed deaths.

Some good news: the Rt for NJ dropped again from 1.48 to 1.41. Still over 1.0 but in the right direction.
                The Wednesday (8/5/20) early afternoon numbers:

Worldwide: 18,580K(+2%)cases & 701K(+1%) deaths
                The USA : 4,850K (+1%) cases & 159K (+1%) deaths
                New York: 418K (+0%) cases & 32,725 (+0%) deaths
                NYC only: 227K (+0%) cases & 16,311 (+0%) deaths
                New Jersey:183K(+0%)cases & 15,842(+0%) deaths
                Bergen Co.: 20,639(+0%)cases & 2,038(+0%) deaths

NJ had 378 new cases and 8 new confirmed deaths but its probable deaths were revised downward resulting in a slight decline for total deaths in NJ and Bergen.

NY had 639 new cases and 6 new confirmed deaths.

NJ had a new positivity rate of 2.52% and its Rt dropped for the 3rd straight day to 1.32.

NJ has 784 & NY has 564 COVID-19 hospitalizations.
                Last edited by Halfmiler2; 08-05-2020, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• https://www.livescience.com/convales...19-deaths.html

Very early data suggest convalescent plasma may reduce death rates.

Comment

• The nation's top infectious disease expert, who has advised six presidents, tells @drsanjaygupta
                    he and his family are getting death threats:

https://mobile.twitter.com/davidgura...69695911698432

Comment

• Meanwhile.....

Fauci warns pandemic will continue 'smoldering' without unified response

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2020/0...s-dnt-live.cnn

Comment

• California having trouble keeping an accurate count due to tech issues?

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...demic-response

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
                          California having trouble keeping an accurate count due to tech issues?
                          Yes, it's affected my county and Garry's county (Santa Clara). You'd think California would do much better with its technology.

Comment

• Brazil August 5

Daily new cases 54,685
                            Total Cases 2,862,761

Daily new deaths 1,322
                            Total deaths 97,418
                            Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

• Back-to-school preparations: teachers writing their obituaries.

Comment

• Gone for good? Evidence signals many jobs aren't returning due to coronavirus changes

The pandemic has lasted far longer than most Americans expected, with likely profound consequences for the economy. Traditional retail stores will probably never regain their pre-pandemic levels of sales or employment as consumers increasingly turn to internet purchases. Online health care will likely eliminate some doctors' office jobs. And online videoconferencing will replace some portion of business travel. Those changes alone could destroy millions of jobs.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...urning/529167/

Comment

Working...
                                X