Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the no-nonsense, nothing-but-the-facts-m'am C19 thread

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
    I hope Russia is right and it is a vaccine that is effective

    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/russia-app...QrSmZpJ04d5fL3
    "I wouldn't take it, certainly not outside a clinical trial right now," says @ScottGottliebMD
    on breaking news from Russia that the country has approved a #COVID19 vaccine. "It appears that it's only been tested in several hundred patients at most."

    https://mobile.twitter.com/SquawkCNB...36151109402625


    Comment


    • Russia was reported to be behind disinformation campaigns to sow doubts in U.S. about our Covid vaccines; and today’s news that they “approved” a vaccine on the equivalent of phase 1 data may be another effort to stoke doubts or goad U.S. into forcing early action on our vaccines

      https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottGott...42775328845824

      Comment


      • Looks like the Florida guy may be inching ahead of the Georgia dude in the kill-your-constituent competition:

        As Gov. Ron DeSantis pushed this summer for schools to reopen, state leaders told school boards they would need Health Department approval if they wanted to keep classrooms closed.

        Then they instructed health directors not to give it.

        Following a directive from DeSantis’ administration, county health directors across Florida refused to give school boards advice about one of the most wrenching public health decisions in modern history: whether to reopen schools in a worsening pandemic, a USA TODAY Network review found.

        In county after county, the health directors’ refrain to school leaders was the same: Their role was to provide information, not recommendations.


        https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/3317014001/

        Comment


        • By my calculation the Americas have 60% of the World's deaths, and 10% of the population.

          Comment


          • Deaths per 100K population (per https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases):

            Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 11.53.14 AM.png

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
              Looks like the Florida guy may be inching ahead of the Georgia dude in the kill-your-constituent competition:
              More gratuitous political shots at GA and FL.

              Deaths per 1M population:

              504 USA Total
              398 FL (16th among states)
              398 GA (17th)

              More nonsense.

              Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Master403 View Post

                More gratuitous political shots at GA and FL.

                Deaths per 1M population:

                504 USA Total
                398 FL (16th among states)
                398 GA (17th)

                More nonsense.
                As a Georgia resident, we deserve all of the shots we're taking. 1. Death is not the only outcome of this disease. 2. Science and data have not driven the state's response. 3. Localities have not been allowed to enact more stringent controls even though the state constitution specifically enshrines "home rule." 4. Our 7 day moving average for deaths is currently the highest it has been.

                Comment


                • Not sure why NYC is separated out from NY. NY's #'s are minus NYC? I am sure if one did this for cities only it would be more definitive. Is there such a chart?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                    I hope Russia is right and it is a vaccine that is effective

                    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/russia-app...QrSmZpJ04d5fL3
                    The Russian leader added that one of his two adult daughters has received two shots of the vaccine. “She has taken part in the experiment,” Putin said.


                    Putin said that his daughter had a temperature of 38 degrees Celsius (100.4 Fahrenheit) on the day of the first vaccine injection, and then it dropped to just over 37 degrees (98.6 Fahrenheit) on the following day. After the second shot she again had a slight increase in temperature, but then it was all over.

                    "Is good enough for daughter, is good enough for peeples!

                    Comment


                    • New Zealand On Alert After 4 Cases Of COVID-19 Emerge From Unknown Source

                      More than three months after its last case of community spread, New Zealand has four new cases of the coronavirus from an unknown source. The island nation, seen as a global exemplar in the battle to contain the coronavirus, moved quickly to identify the source of transmission and halt further spread.

                      https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...unknown-source

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

                        The Monday (8/10/20) early afternoon numbers:

                        Worldwide: 19,920K(+1%)cases & 732K(+1%) deaths
                        The USA : 5,134K (+1%) cases & 165K(+1%) deaths
                        New York: 421K (+0%) cases & 32,774 (+0%) deaths
                        NYC only: 228K (+0%) cases & 16,324 (+0%) deaths
                        New Jersey:185K(+0%)cases & 15,878 (+0%) deaths
                        Bergen Co.:20,794(+0%)cases & 2,038 (+0%) deaths

                        NY, NJ, & Bergen include confirmed and probable deaths in total deaths, while NYC includes only confirmed deaths.

                        NJ had 258 new cases and 4 new deaths.
                        NY had 476 new cases and 6 new deaths.
                        NJ has 545 and NY had 535 COVID hospitalizations.

                        The big news is that the Rt for NJ dipped under 1.0 to 0.98 which means the pandemic is contracting again. NJ’s daily positivity rate is at 1.62%.
                        The Tuesday (8/11/20) early afternoon numbers:

                        Worldwide: 20,134K(+1%)cases & 737K(+1%) deaths
                        The USA : 5,187K (+1%) cases & 165K(+1%) deaths
                        New York: 422K (+0%) cases & 32,781 (+0%) deaths
                        NYC Only: 225K (+0%) cases & 16,302(+0%) deaths
                        New Jersey:185K(+0%) cases & 15,890(+0%) deaths
                        Bergen Co.:20,894(+0%)cases & 2,038 (+0%) deaths

                        NYC numbers were revised downward.

                        NJ had 498 new cases & 14 new confirmed deaths.
                        NY had 667 new cases & 7 new confirmed deaths.
                        NJ has 538 & NY 540 COVID hospitalizations.

                        The Rt for NJ dropped again to 0.94.
                        NY had done 6.6 million tests -about 1/3 of its population. NJ has done 2.35 million - over 1/4.

                        Comment


                        • NY, NJ, and CT subtracted 5 states (AK, OH, NM, RI, and WA) from the quarantine list and added 2 states (HA and SD) and also added the Virgin Islands. There are now 31 states (+ DC and VI) on the list.

                          I know some of you are expecting that the recent upturn would develop into a second wave, but the current numbers look like it may have plateaued and is headed down again. We will see what the rest of the week brings,
                          Last edited by Halfmiler2; 08-11-2020, 06:53 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by bhall View Post

                            As a Georgia resident, we deserve all of the shots we're taking. 1. Death is not the only outcome of this disease. 2. Science and data have not driven the state's response. 3. Localities have not been allowed to enact more stringent controls even though the state constitution specifically enshrines "home rule." 4. Our 7 day moving average for deaths is currently the highest it has been.
                            And deaths are a lagging indicator, so they will rise relative to others. If you look at deaths and cases since June 1 you will get a very different picture, in part because treatment technology, knowledge and drugs were not what they are now. If you take into consideration that early surge as leading to higher fatalities, there are almost no states on that list ahead of Georgia - Mississippi and Arizona. And, the deaths in the last week are probably not fully in these data and since Georgia is peaking later than almost all other states, its peak in deaths is probably yet to come (the 7-day average is up 175% from July 20 and has set or tied its record ten times since July 25th. Also, we have yet to see the impact of opening many schools and the high percentage of positive cases indicates that Georgia probably is missing more cases and most states.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

                              The Russian leader added that one of his two adult daughters has received two shots of the vaccine. “She has taken part in the experiment,” Putin said.


                              Putin said that his daughter had a temperature of 38 degrees Celsius (100.4 Fahrenheit) on the day of the first vaccine injection, and then it dropped to just over 37 degrees (98.6 Fahrenheit) on the following day. After the second shot she again had a slight increase in temperature, but then it was all over.

                              "Is good enough for daughter, is good enough for peeples!
                              This is the epitome of "small sample" problems, bias, etc. And the problems might arise over time.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
                                By my calculation the Americas have 60% of the World's deaths, and 10% of the population.
                                That assumes that China had only 4K deaths. Believe what you want to believe. If China had 2 million deaths, then the USA drops under 10%.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X