Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Master403 View Post

We already have Yale's announcement, a preprint of the study, and the protocol of how to license the test. What exactly does WSJ bring to the table to justify paying for content behind a paywall?
    Its not behind a paywall....

Comment

• Meanwhile....

Trump eyes new unproven coronavirus "cure"

To the alarm of some government health officials, President Trump has expressed enthusiasm for the Food and Drug Administration to permit an extract from the oleander plant to be marketed as a dietary supplement or, alternatively, approved as a drug to cure COVID-19, despite lack of proof that it works.

Driving the news: The experimental botanical extract, oleandrin, was promoted to Trump during an Oval Office meeting in July. It's embraced by Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson and MyPillow founder and CEO Mike Lindell, a big Trump backer, who recently took a financial stake in the company that develops the product.

https://www.axios.com/trump-covid-ol...m_content=1100

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

requires "membership"

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post

Wow - this would be a huge step forward in fighting new surges.
          Agree entirely. If you look at the SIR model, those of us who have avoided Susceptibility by isolating are just as susceptible as we were six months ago. We can increase Recovered with a vaccine, but that is problematic. If we can reduce Infected with quick, accurate, cheap test, that would reduce exposure to Susceptible.

As far as quick turnaround goes, we could use a little help. The time for a test depends on getting to a CLIA Diagnostic center. The CDC search is not working well for me.

My guess is that many D1 schools have med centers that may qualify to run these tests, but who knows?
          Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Meanwhile....

Trump eyes new unproven coronavirus "cure"
            Can't we discuss the value, or lack thereof, of oleandrin

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1....203489v1.full

and get away from rejecting it just because axios doesn't agree with the politics of those bringing it to our attention?
            Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Can't we discuss the value, or lack thereof, of oleandrin

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1....203489v1.full

and get away from rejecting it just because axios doesn't agree with the politics of those bringing it to our attention?
              Thank you, Master 403.

Comment

Whatever it is called, I am electronically blocked from reading the article.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Whatever it is called, I am electronically blocked from reading the article.
                  Well I never registered and never subscribed to the Journal and I read it. Maybe copying links it doesn't work.

Anyways I noted the only difference from the other stories on the saliva test.

Comment

Well I never registered and never subscribed to the Journal and I read it. Maybe copying links it doesn't work.

Anyways I noted the only difference from the other stories on the saliva test.
                    FWIW...I attempted to get to the article using 3 or 4 different approaches and got the same "membership" message. Maybe you registered a while ago and don't recall doing so.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

FWIW...I attempted to get to the article using 3 or 4 different approaches and got the same "membership" message. Maybe you registered a while ago and don't recall doing so.
                      That could be but I certainly don't recall. I never go the WSJ website.. I just find these articles on Twitter. Anyways I posted the relevant part.

Comment

• Just when you think you have the virus under control:

Spain has registered more than 16,000 new cases of the coronavirus since Friday, according to new data from the country’s health ministry, adding to a tally that already ranks as the highest in western Europe.

In total, 59,162 cases have been detected across Spain in the past two weeks, leading public health experts to warn that the country is in a critical moment in its ongoing battle against the virus.

Others have warned that the rapid growth of cases could see a return to the dark days of March and April that left Spain with one of the highest excess death tolls in Europe.

Comment

• From The Atlantic (which allows people free access to covid articles):

But some recent studies suggest that by day 14 or so—nine days after your symptoms began—you are no longer infectious, even if you are still symptomatic. By then, there is no longer live virus in your upper respiratory system. But because millions of dead virus particles line your mouth and nasal cavity, and because they contain strands of intact RNA, and because the PCR technique is very sensitive, you will still test positive on a PCR test. For weeks, in fact, you may test positive via PCR, even after your symptoms abate.
                          And here is PCR’s second problem: By this point in your illness, a positive PCR test does not mean what you might expect. It does not mean that you are infectious, nor does it necessarily mean that there is live SARS-CoV-2 virus in your body. It does not make sense to trace any contacts you’ve had in the past five days, because you did not infect them. Nor does it make sense for you to stay home from work. But our country’s public-health infrastructure cannot easily distinguish between a day-two positive and a day-35 positive.
                          https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/08/how-to-test-every-american-for-covid-19-every-day/615217/
                          So if I understand this correctly the gold standard PCR test (accurate) does not tell you whether you are stil infectious, so you can test + but not be infectious anymore. The test proposed (e25) while less accurate does show virus load which determines (presumably) infectiousness. I don't know whether the Yale test does so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

The Sunday (8/16/20) early afternoon numbers:

Globally: 21,480K cases & 772K deaths
                            The USA: 5,437K cases & 170K deaths
                            NY State: 426K cases & 32,833 deaths
                            NYC only:230K cases & 16,349 deaths
                            NJ State: 187K cases & 15,912 deaths
                            Bergen: 21,195 cases & 2,036 deaths

NY, NJ, and Bergen County’s total deaths include confirmed and probable deaths. NYC includes only confirmed deaths.

NJ had 329 new cases & 4 new deaths,
                            NY had 607 new cases & 6 new deaths.
                            NJ has 450 (a 5-month low) and NY has 527 COVID hospitalizations. The Rt for NJ is 0.99.
                            The Monday (8/17/20) early afternoon numbers:

Globally: 21,740K cases & 776K deaths
                            The USA: 5,489K cases & 171K deaths
                            NY State: 426K cases & 32,839 deaths
                            NYC only: 230K cases & 16,350 deaths
                            NJ State : 188K cases & 15,916 deaths
                            Bergen : 21,277 cases & 2,036 deaths

NJ had 316 new cases & 4 new confirmed deaths.
                            NY had 408 new cases & 6 new confirmed deaths.
                            NJ has 472 & NY had 534 COVID hospitalizations.
                            The Rt for NJ ticked up to 1.03. Positivity%=1.65.
                            Last edited by Halfmiler2; 08-17-2020, 11:48 PM.

Comment

We already have Yale's announcement, a preprint of the study, and the protocol of how to license the test. What exactly does WSJ bring to the table to justify paying for content behind a paywall?
                              Unlike most publications, the Wall Street Journal has had a paywall since it began offering an electronic edition back in the 1990s. Print subscribers (like me) get access to the electronic edition also. Before I retired, the print edition would go to my office. Now it is delivered to my driveway.

The only three newspapers with national print circulations are Wall Street Journal, NY Times, and USA Today.

Comment

• Texas just became the 4th State with over 10,000 deaths behind NY, NJ, and California.

Comment

Working...
                                X