Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the preferred source of truth for case and death count? I’ve always used worldometer.com because it is easier to use on an iPad.

Comment

• ourworldindata - they have also been highly critical of worldometer's stats

Comment

• I get a daily coronavirus update email from The Times (London). They show total and daily cases and deaths for the world and the UK. This morning's email said there were 32,734,330 confirmed cases globally and 992,886 deaths. I've no idea where they are getting their data from.

Comment

• Washington Post, New York Times, The Financial Times...all use Johns Hopkins.

Post...

Data on deaths and cases comes from Post reporting and Johns Hopkins University. Post-reported data, including hospitalizations, is gathered from state sites and from county and city sites for certain jurisdictions. Deaths are recorded on the dates they are announced, not necessarily the dates they occur. All numbers are provisional and may be revised by the jurisdictions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave View Post
            What is the preferred source of truth for case and death count? I’ve always used worldometer.com because it is easier to use on an iPad.
            Ditto.I also rely on The Covid Tracking project for U.S. data, although they insist that N.Y. only has 25K deaths.
            Last edited by jeremyp; 09-26-2020, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
              Washington Post, New York Times, The Financial Times...all use Johns Hopkins.

Post...

Data on deaths and cases comes from Post reporting and Johns Hopkins University. Post-reported data, including hospitalizations, is gathered from state sites and from county and city sites for certain jurisdictions. Deaths are recorded on the dates they are announced, not necessarily the dates they occur. All numbers are provisional and may be revised by the jurisdictions.
              One can always expect slow data collection over the weekend and then a jump around Tuesday/Wednesday. Mexico and Spain are notorious for going for days without a shift and then Boom!

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                Washington Post, New York Times, The Financial Times...all use Johns Hopkins.

...]
                as does SF Chronicle

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

Ditto.I also rely on The Covid Tracking project for U.S. data, although they insist that N.Y. only has 25K deaths.

Due to an exclusion of probable COVID-19 deaths in the state's data, New York City and New York State report substantially diverging death counts. As of June 1, 2020, New York City reported 5740 more deaths than New York State. We use the data from the state, so our dataset excludes these probable COVID-19 deaths. New York State has not reported new Ever hospitalized data since June 2, 2020.

https://covidtracking.com/data#state-ny

Comment

• Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                    Globally: 31,970K cases & 978K deaths
                    The USA: 7,045K cases & 205K deaths
                    Please mark me down as skeptical that the US accounts for over 20% of all global deaths from the virus. We simply have one of the most advanced health and medical infrastructure systems in the world, comparing reported numbers across countries of such disparate means is folly.

Comment

• The numbers that I post daily for NY And NYC generally include both confirmed and probable deaths which I indicate. Occasionally, I also show the confirmed-only numbers. NY has over 7K probable deaths which are mostly from NYC.

The bottom line is that when reporting confirmed deaths, NY & NYC have over 25K & 16K. When reporting confirmed & probable deaths, they have over 32K & 23K.

NJ reports daily its confirmed number and also its probable number for the state and its counties such as Bergen which is its largest county. I usually report the combined total. NJ has over 14K confirmed deaths and almost 2K probable deaths.
                      Last edited by Halfmiler2; 09-26-2020, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by user4 View Post

Please mark me down as skeptical that the US accounts for over 20% of all global deaths from the virus. We simply have one of the most advanced health and medical infrastructure systems in the world, comparing reported numbers across countries of such disparate means is folly.
                        Anybody who believes that China has had only 85K cases and 4.6K deaths with virtually no new ones reported in months ought to be interested in buying a bridge in Brooklyn that I know about.

Comment

Anybody who believes that China has had only 85K cases and 4.6K deaths with virtually no new ones reported in months ought to be interested in buying a bridge in Brooklyn that I know about.
                          Probably true but their dousing of the virus has put the west to shame. But then they can do what they want to because the kickback is minimal.

Comment

• Originally posted by user4 View Post

I'm with you, but we also have more transparency than anyone except Europe. Many of our deaths went unreported as well. Many have died without a test.

Comment

Yeah, but there is no reason to single out China. North Korea and Turkmenistan are by far the biggest offenders.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                                Yeah, but there is no reason to single out China. North Korea and Turkmenistan are by far the biggest offenders.
                                Per The NY Times, the US is probably understating deaths by 15% or more, they point to “excess deaths” over last year. I’m sure a lot of countries are understating the mortality rate though. It isn’t just the US.

Comment

Working...
                                X