Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the no-nonsense, nothing-but-the-facts-m'am C19 thread

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Right....

    Noem blames surge in cases on testing as hospitals fill

    South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem on Tuesday blamed South Dakota’s recent surge in coronavirus cases on an increase in testing, even as the state saw a new high in the number of people hospitalized by the virus.

    There are currently no open general-care hospital beds in the southeastern part of the state, which contains the two largest hospitals, according to the Department of Health. Hospitals are dealing with both an increase in COVID-19 patients and people needing other medical care. The hospitals in Sioux Falls do have about 41% of their Intensive Care Units available.

    The Republican governor did not explain how an increase in hospitalizations would be connected to an increase in testing.

    https://apnews.com/article/virus-out...764f3ecb4e1cb5
    It's called Sturgis thinking.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

      But how many were repeats?
      Good question!

      Comment


      • Very good question. There are lots of people who are required to be tested regularly because of their jobs.

        Comment


        • NJ Governor Murphy did his opening salvo about Thanksgiving - discouraging out-of-state guests or going out-of-state, and having only smaller family groups.

          The Governor even urged people to have Thanksgiving dinner outside if possible! The high in NJ for Thanksgiving is likely to be only about 50 degrees. Even with a fire pit or portable heaters, it could be chilly. We will see if the Gov takes his own advice.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

            The Thursday (10/15/20) early afternoon numbers:

            Globally: 38,514K cases & 1,089K deaths
            The USA: 8,016K cases & 220K deaths
            NY State: 479K cases & 32,916 deaths
            NYC only: 253K cases & 23,837 deaths
            NJ State: 217K cases & 16,197 deaths
            Bergen: 23,495 cases & 2,050 deaths

            N.Y., NJ, NYC, and Bergen County deaths include confirmed & probable. Bergen probables were revised down.

            NJ had 973 new cases & 6 new confirmed deaths
            NY had 1,460 new cases, 13 new confirmed deaths
            NJ has 733 & NY has 897 hospitalizations.
            The Rt for NJ bumped back up to 1.16.
            The latest NJ daily positivity rate upped to 4.35%.
            The Friday (10/16/20) early afternoon numbers:

            Globally: 38,929K cases & 1,094K deaths
            The USA: 8,079K cases & 221K deaths
            NY State: 481K cases & 32,935 deaths
            NYC only: 253K cases & 23,838 deaths
            NJ State: 218K cases & 16,202 deaths
            Bergen: 23,569 cases & 2,050 deaths

            Global totals exclude China (86K reported cases & 4.6K reported deaths).

            NJ had 823 new cases & 5 new confirmed deaths
            NY had 1,707 new cases, 10 new confirmed deaths
            NJ has 728 & NY has 928 hospitalizations.
            The Rt for NJ edged up to 1.18.

            NJ has fallen to 10th place in total cases behind Tennessee. It remains in 4th place in total deaths behind New York, Texas, and California.
            Last edited by Halfmiler2; 10-16-2020, 07:50 PM.

            Comment


            • I went back to look up the numbers on July 4th which was just about mid-way between when the pandemic hit the USA in March and now. They looked like this on 7/4:

              Globally: 11,100k cases & 526K deaths
              The USA: 2,802K cases & 130K deaths
              NY State: 396K cases & 32,034 deaths
              NYC only: 212K cases & 23,104 deaths
              NJ State: 173K cases & 15,189 deaths
              Bergen: 19,562 cases & 2,003 deaths

              Global cases have more than tripled and deaths more than doubled. USA cases have increased over 280% while deaths have increased about 60%. NY & NJ cases have increased 20+% but deaths have only increased mid to low single digits.

              Comment


              • Pfizer delivers final blow to Trump's hope for pre-election vaccine


                There won’t be a coronavirus vaccine ready before Election Day, despite President Donald Trump’s repeated promises and vaccine makers’ breakneck speed.

                https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...lection-429843

                Comment



                • Ekc5AQ6XYAY0GJr?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                    I went back to look up the numbers on July 4th which was just about mid-way between when the pandemic hit the USA in March and now. They looked like this on 7/4:

                    Globally: 11,100k cases & 526K deaths
                    The USA: 2,802K cases & 130K deaths
                    NY State: 396K cases & 32,034 deaths
                    NYC only: 212K cases & 23,104 deaths
                    NJ State: 173K cases & 15,189 deaths
                    Bergen: 19,562 cases & 2,003 deaths

                    Global cases have more than tripled and deaths more than doubled. USA cases have increased over 280% while deaths have increased about 60%. NY & NJ cases have increased 20+% but deaths have only increased mid to low single digits.
                    By the way, I could not find numbers for China for July 4th, but I did find numbers for July 28th. At that time, they were reporting cases at 84K and 4,634 deaths -which is the exact same number of deaths that they are still reporting now. In other words, their reported total cases have gone up 2% in nearly 3 months, and their total deaths have changed 0%. I wonder why they need to do 9 million tests in one city.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

                      By the way, I could not find numbers for China for July 4th, but I did find numbers for July 28th. At that time, they were reporting cases at 84K and 4,634 deaths -which is the exact same number of deaths that they are still reporting now. In other words, their reported total cases have gone up 2% in nearly 3 months, and their total deaths have changed 0%. I wonder why they need to do 9 million tests in one city.
                      Because the Chinese are taking this very seriously. Any kind of outbreak they put the hammer down. My nephew arrived in China yesterday....is in quarantine for 2 weeks. Leaving the US was a huge hassle. Had to get a PCR test send the result to a consulate in Chicago. Got the OK and then had to be on a plane to China in 72 hours. His plane left San Francisco for China 8 hours before the deadline.

                      Comment


                      • oh my word, based on that chart you would have to guess that Belgium has a 10x greater population density (persons/km^2) than the US... oh wait..

                        Belgium : 383 per Km2 vs US: 36 per Km2

                        Comment


                        • meanwhile, in the treatment department....

                          Remdesivir and interferon fall flat in WHO’s megastudy of COVID-19 treatments


                          https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...-19-treatments

                          Comment


                          • Perfect timing to hear that....

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

                              The Friday (10/16/20) early afternoon numbers:

                              Globally: 38,929K cases & 1,094K deaths
                              The USA: 8,079K cases & 221K deaths
                              NY State: 481K cases & 32,935 deaths
                              NYC only: 253K cases & 23,838 deaths
                              NJ State: 218K cases & 16,202 deaths
                              Bergen: 23,569 cases & 2,050 deaths

                              Global totals exclude China (86K reported cases & 4.6K reported deaths).

                              NJ had 823 new cases & 5 new confirmed deaths
                              NY had 1,707 new cases, 10 new confirmed deaths
                              NJ has 728 & NY has 928 hospitalizations.
                              The Rt for NJ edged up to 1.18.

                              NJ has fallen to 10th place in total cases behind Tennessee. It remains in 4th place in total deaths behind New York, Texas, and California.
                              The Saturday (10/17/20) early afternoon numbers:

                              Globally: 39,359K cases & 1,101K deaths
                              The USA: 8,146K cases & 222K deaths
                              NY State: 482K cases & 32,944 deaths
                              NYC only: 254K cases & 23,841 deaths
                              NJ State: 219K cases & 16,204 deaths
                              Bergen: 23,639 cases & 2,050 deaths

                              NY, NJ, NYC, & Bergen deaths include confirmed & probable.

                              NJ had 958 new cases & 2 new confirmed deaths
                              NY had 1,784 new cases, 9 new confirmed deaths
                              NJ had 759 & NY has 929 hospitalizations.
                              The Rt for NJ dipped to 1.17.
                              Last edited by Halfmiler2; 10-18-2020, 12:48 AM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

                                Because the Chinese are taking this very seriously. Any kind of outbreak they put the hammer down. My nephew arrived in China yesterday....is in quarantine for 2 weeks. Leaving the US was a huge hassle. Had to get a PCR test send the result to a consulate in Chicago. Got the OK and then had to be on a plane to China in 72 hours. His plane left San Francisco for China 8 hours before the deadline.
                                So you really believe that they have not had a single death in three months? Would you be interested in buying a bridge in Brooklyn?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X