• Show
Clear All

• lonewolf
    replied
    How do you diagnose covid in animals?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    The consensus of what I've read agrees that Covid will be a problem for a long, long time, esp. as it mutates and makes end-runs around vaccines.
    Covid no govid
    It ain't near ovid.
    Won't quit me dayjib either

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
    a major force in making Covid stick around forever, as you can't vaccinate or quarantine them like zoo or farm animals, and the high rate of human interaction with them (via hunters) will provide many opportunities for deer-borne mutations to spread back.
    The consensus of what I've read agrees that Covid will be a problem for a long, long time, esp. as it mutates and makes end-runs around vaccines.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    With the recent addition of hippos to the list, so far Covid-19 has been detected in:

hippos
    mink
    bats
    otters
    hamsters
    tree shrews
    rabbits
    domestic cats
    big cats
    dogs
    apes
    ferrets
    North American wild deer

I may be missing a few species. The last one could be a major force in making Covid stick around forever, as you can't vaccinate or quarantine them like zoo or farm animals, and the high rate of human interaction with them (via hunters) will provide many opportunities for deer-borne mutations to spread back into humans.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    I guess you would need a preety bucket to collect hippo-snot.

And I am guessing the Pfizer vax needle might not work very well on hippos.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...irus-positive/

Snotty-nosed hippos test positive for coronavirus in Belgium, the first known cases in species

Two hippos in Belgium that vets noticed were “expelling snot” have been placed in quarantine after testing positive for the coronavirus, the Antwerp zoo said, in what appears to be the first known case of covid-19 among the species.

It remains unclear how hippopotamuses Imani, 14, and Hermien, 41, contracted the virus, but the pair appear to be doing well and have no symptoms other than their runny, sticky noses.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    and some good news....

WHO says no deaths reported from Omicron yet as Covid variant spreads

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ariant-spreads

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post
    and another vicious anti-vaxxer Christian televangelist has died of Covid: Marcus Lamb of Daystar Network.
    Why do I have the feeling that the Big Fella is tsk, tasking him?

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    This just out from JAMA Internal Medicine - answers a question someone was asking recently which I said I didn't know the exact #s. This doesn't answer the ? exactly but is still reassuring:

"Meanwhile, the odds of hospitalisation after 14 days among those who received a booster dose were 92% to 97% lower than those who had received just 2 doses."
    And that's why I am looking forward to my booster tomorrow

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Here's the graph from that tweet - this is better

EuropeVaccineEffectiveness.png

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    And a tweet showing the effectiveness of vaccines in preventing deaths in Europe - https://twitter.com/AndreasShrugged/...18387688480768

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    This just out from JAMA Internal Medicine - answers a question someone was asking recently which I said I didn't know the exact #s. This doesn't answer the ? exactly but is still reassuring:

"Meanwhile, the odds of hospitalisation after 14 days among those who received a booster dose were 92% to 97% lower than those who had received just 2 doses."

Leave a comment:

• SoCal45
    replied
    and another vicious anti-vaxxer Christian televangelist has died of Covid: Marcus Lamb of Daystar Network.

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    Sorry but no weekly update of COVID numbers this week - too busy at the USATF Annual Meeting.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    From the NFL thread:

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    As DrJay, schigh, Pego, and the other MDs on this board will surely confirm, most people who claim to have an "allergy" to some obscure medicine or treatment, really do not have an allergy. They may not like the side effects of the treatment, but that is a not a true "allergic" reaction. A true allergic reaction, termed anaphylaxis, can be a life-threatening situation.
    A friend of mine had a pair of particularly unpleasant reactions (but not anaphylaxis) to a component of the mRNA vaccines (Pfizer & Moderna): PEG - Polyethylene Glycol.

The experiences were particularly unpleasant because PEG is also a common ingredient in many bowel-cleansing colonoscopy prep meds. They couldn't figure out the problem after his first (aborted) c-scope rodeo so round two had similar results. They figured it out before his third trip to the colonoscopy plate – welcome to the age 50 club, dude! After that it was not surprising that he had no desire to give PEG another go with the mRNA vaccines, and waited for non-mRNA J&J.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X