• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
    But still no news for J&J'ers.
    Here's something:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...ter-shots.html
    We also anticipate booster shots will likely be needed for people who received the Johnson & Johnson (J&J) vaccine. Administration of the J&J vaccine did not begin in the U.S. until March 2021, and we expect more data on J&J in the next few weeks. With those data in hand, we will keep the public informed with a timely plan for J&J booster shots as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Considering how few are vaccinated in NZ the antivaxxers have to think they are winning.
      The low vaccination rate is a definite failure by "Mother Teresa" aka Jacinda Ardern

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
        Only 19.4% of NZers are fully vaccinated???

21.7% in Australia
        These figures are pretty close and highlight the failure and complacency of both governments to act aggressively in pushing vaccination.

Comment

• But they are winning the most important battle -- preventing deaths.

Deaths per million.

New Zealand 5.
          Singapore 7.
          Hong Kong 28.
          Taiwan 35.
          Australia 38.
          South Korea 43.

All but one of them have been slow at vaccination. (Singapore has 76% of people fully vaccinated.)

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...re-from-aug-18

Comment

• To add to the confusion apparently J&J may be better for Delta.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/...ould-overtake/

A new study from South Africa, called Sisonke, has shown Johnson & Johnson's vaccine to be highly effective against one of the most concerning variants around right now -- delta. The trial is massive and involves 480,000 healthcare workers (Johnson & Johnson's initial phase 3 trial was relatively large and had only 45,000 participants). Although the data hasn't been peer-reviewed, the initial numbers are extremely encouraging -- showing 71% efficacy in preventing hospitalizations in delta-related cases. And in terms of preventing death, the overall efficacy rose to 96%.

By comparison, studies on two doses of the Pfizer vaccine suggest efficacy rates could range between 42% and 96% against delta. Moderna has also had varying efficacy rates but it looks to be a bit higher, at around 76%. But what's common to both is that people need two doses of the vaccine, as a single dose offers weaker protection. And that's where the advantage could sway significantly in Johnson & Johnson's favor as its single-shot vaccine would be significantly easier to administer.
            Last edited by jeremyp; 08-19-2021, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• So if you started on one of the two-shotters, maybe use J&J as a booster?
              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                So if you started on one of the two-shotters, maybe use J&J as a booster?
                not sure it would have the desired effect: the 2-shotters work with messenger RNA, J&J uses a disabled adenovirus not related to C19

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                  not sure it would have the desired effect: the 2-shotters work with messenger RNA, J&J uses a disabled adenovirus not related to C19
                  Nobody really knows. There have been several papers on boosters and what happens if you mix and match but they are very speculative as there aren't enough numbers yet to be able to tell with any certainty. Karen and I will get boosters in a couple weeks (we were vaccinated back in January so that will be 8 months per the Biden Administration rules) and we'll stick with Moderna.

Comment

• [QUOTE=bambam1729;n1719072]

Nobody really knows. There have been several papers on boosters and what happens if you mix and match but they are very speculative as there aren't enough numbers yet to be able to tell with any certainty. Karen and I will get boosters in a couple weeks (we were vaccinated back in January so that will be 8 months per the Biden Administration rules) and we'll stick with Moderna./QUOTE]

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                    So if you started on one of the two-shotters, maybe use J&J as a booster?

Good info, thanks. My 2nd was also January (Pfizer) so I'm in the contemplation phase concerning my next move. I'm still relatively young with zero comorbidities and very fit so...???

Comment

• Meanwhile...

166 million Americans are fully vaccinated against COVID. Of that entire population, 6,000 have been hospitalized or died of COVID — the vast majority over 65. That's a 0.0036% rate of death or serious illness among the vaccinated.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ByronTau/...57174436642818

Comment

• One thing that I have learned after eight years of Multiple Myeloma is that you have to play the odds. I will have no problem taking the booster when available.

Comment

• Me neither....

Comment

• About time....

The F.D.A. is aiming to give full approval to Pfizer’s Covid vaccine on Monday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/u...e=articleShare

Comment

• I intend to get shot at every opportunity. Can't hurt. I am not smart enough to outguess anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                                I intend to get shot at every opportunity. Can't hurt. I am not smart enough to outguess anyone.
                                But...but you might have side effects in 15 years! You will miss your chance at a 105 second 440.

Comment

Working...
                                X