Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the no-nonsense, nothing-but-the-facts-m'am C19 thread

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

    Many thanks Jeremy
    I will post on my FB page

    Yesterday we had an additional 43 positive case and 0 deaths. The UK had 30,838 cases and 174 deaths.

    NZ was lucky in that our first covid-19 case was in March last year, and therefore we benefitted from learning from China, NY and Italy etc. However, after thst our strategy of a hard and fast lockdown has proved to be our saviour.
    AND (most importantly) your status as a tiny, remote island nation!

    My relatives in Hamilton are happy about that, I'm sure.

    Comment


    • NY Governor Kathy Hochul who was sworn in at midnight following the effective date of Governor Cuomo’s resignation, just added 12,000 to the NY State cumulative COVID death count. From 43K to 55K. It is expected that many if not most of the change is due to past undercounts at nursing homes.
      Halfmiler2
      Senior Member
      Last edited by Halfmiler2; 08-25-2021, 06:15 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
        NY Governor Kathy Hochul who was sworn in at midnight following the effective date of Governor Cuomo’s resignation, just added 12,000 to the NY State cumulative COVID death count. From 43K to 55K. It is expected that many if not most of the change is due to past undercounts at nursing homes.
        Strange the last time I checked NY was at 54k, and had been 50k+ for awhile. Then just read this "The higher number is not entirely new. Federal health officials and some academic institutions tracking COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. have been using the higher tally for many months because of known gaps in the data Cuomo had been choosing to publicize."
        jeremyp
        Senior Member
        Last edited by jeremyp; 08-25-2021, 09:30 PM.

        Comment


        • Children are now being hospitalized in record numbers across the United States, and doctors are warning that it could get worse as schools begin to reopen and the swift-moving coronavirus delta variant drives cases higher.

          New Covid hospital admissions for kids have reached their highest levels since the U.S. started tracking pediatric cases about a year ago, peaking at an average of 303 new admissions per day over the week ended Aug. 22, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data shows.

          https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/25/pedi...-for-more.html


          And in Florida:

          More than half of Florida’s students are now enrolled in public school districts with mask mandates despite threats of sanctions from the administration of Gov. Ron DeSantis (R), who decreed that only parents can decide whether their children wear masks.

          On Tuesday night, two school districts — in Orange and Indian River counties — approved mandates to try to stop the spread of the delta variant of the novel coronavirus. They joined eight other districts that recently moved to require a medical exemption from a doctor to opt out.

          https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...-revolt-grows/
          jeremyp
          Senior Member
          Last edited by jeremyp; 08-25-2021, 08:23 PM.

          Comment


          • Meanwhile....lots of stupid people in Chicago.


            Lightfoot forges ahead with Oct. 15 vaccine mandate for city employees, despite opposition from all four police unions

            “This has literally lit a bomb underneath the membership,” said Fraternal Order of Police President John Catanzara. “We’re in America, G-ddamn it. We don’t want to be forced to do anything. Period. This ain’t Nazi f---ing Germany.”


            https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-ha...1&DE=WBEZEmail

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
              Meanwhile....lots of stupid people in Chicago.


              Lightfoot forges ahead with Oct. 15 vaccine mandate for city employees, despite opposition from all four police unions

              “This has literally lit a bomb underneath the membership,” said Fraternal Order of Police President John Catanzara. “We’re in America, G-ddamn it. We don’t want to be forced to do anything. Period. This ain’t Nazi f---ing Germany.”


              https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-ha...1&DE=WBEZEmail
              Lovely fellow. And so erudite.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                NY Governor Kathy Hochul who was sworn in at midnight following the effective date of Governor Cuomo’s resignation, just added 12,000 to the NY State cumulative COVID death count. From 43K to 55K. It is expected that many if not most of the change is due to past undercounts at nursing homes.
                Dayum! That is what Atticus and his seafaring brethren would call a shot across the bow.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

                  Strange the last time I checked NY was at 54k, and had been 50k+ for awhile. Then just read this "The higher number is not entirely new. Federal health officials and some academic institutions tracking COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. have been using the higher tally for many months because of known gaps in the data Cuomo had been choosing to publicize."
                  The 54K you saw included probable numbers that had never become confirmed numbers. There are now 55K confirmed numbers apparently.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by KevinR View Post

                    Lovely fellow. And so erudite.
                    History of being a real thug....the department has tried to fire him....

                    https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...bmy-story.html

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

                      The 54K you saw included probable numbers that had never become confirmed numbers. There are now 55K confirmed numbers apparently.
                      Reality is reality.Statistics are statistics often manipulated for self serving reasons.Russia hasn't added the 180k deaths attributed back when, yet daily trots out 800 deaths for months. India is way under counted, as is Brazil, China, most African countries. Florida just doesn't release them on a daily basis anymore hoping people won't notice.
                      jeremyp
                      Senior Member
                      Last edited by jeremyp; 08-27-2021, 03:37 AM.

                      Comment


                      • "TALLAHASSEE – Gov. Ron DeSantis’ ban on mandatory masks at schools was thrown out Friday by a Tallahassee judge who ruled that the governor overreached his authority, misinterpreted state law and ignored scientific evidence in issuing his order.

                        Heading into the new school year, DeSantis demanded that counties allow parents to have their children simply opt out of mask requirements. But Circuit Judge John Cooper ruled that school boards are empowered to mandate that all students wear face-coverings, unless they obtain a medical exception.

                        The judge said DeSantis was wrong in determining that the state’s new “Parents’ Bill of Rights” law — the provision on which he based his order — prohibited school districts from enacting limits like masks."

                        Sanity prevails...for now

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

                          Reality is reality.Statistics are statistics often manipulated for self serving reasons.Russia hasn't added the 180k deaths attributed back when, yet daily trots out 800 deaths for months. India is way under counted, as is Brazil, China, most African countries. Florida just doesn't release them on a daily basis anymore hoping people won't notice.
                          China has not reported a COVID death in over a year.

                          Comment


                          • The NY State website is still showing only 43K confirmed deaths. It may be that while Cuomo was only reporting numbers for confirmed deaths, the new Governor is reporting both confirmed and probable numbers which equals the 55K.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                              China has not reported a COVID death in over a year.
                              That's amazing. I'm sure its accurate, too.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                                The NY State website is still showing only 43K confirmed deaths. It may be that while Cuomo was only reporting numbers for confirmed deaths, the new Governor is reporting both confirmed and probable numbers which equals the 55K.
                                Even that 55k is now behind Texas. And NY (2813) is also about to be passed by MS (2782) in deaths / million. LA (2659) has just passed MA (2643) as the 4th worst.

                                Total US deaths is now 653k, according to worldometers. The total deaths in the Civil War was 655k, according to wiki, and the total deaths from 1918 flu was 675k, according to CDC estimate.

                                We will pass those two numbers pretty soon. The moving daily average is over 1,000 for the first time since late March.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X