Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    Caleb Wallace, mentioned in the last few posts, has died. Age 30.
    Also:

A conservative radio host from Florida who criticised coronavirus vaccination efforts – and called himself “Mr Anti-Vax” – before contracting Covid-19 himself has died, his station said on Saturday.

When Bernier was hospitalised with Covid-19, three weeks ago, WNDB operations manager Mark McKinney told local media: “If you’ve listened to his show, you’ve heard him talk about how anti-vaccine he is on the air.”

In December, Bernier told one guest: “I’m not taking it … Are you kidding me? Mr Anti-Vax? Jeepers.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...d-marc-bernier

Comment

• Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

China has not reported a COVID death in over a year.
      Somebody on NPR who visits China frequently says the Chinese method of lockdown and tracing keeps cases down.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

Somebody on NPR who visits China frequently says the Chinese method of lockdown and tracing keeps cases down.
        There's no doubt that China screwed up massively circa December 2019, but once they admitted to themselves they had a problem they immediately rolled out their pandemic plan and went into a lockdown much tougher than New Zealand's highest lockdown level.

My nephew who was living in Hangzhou with his Chinese wife never left their apartment for almost 3 months. Groceries and other essential supplies were ordered online and delivered to their door. Following a txt advising them of delivery, and a knock on their door they had to wait 20 seconds before opening the door. Groceries were on the floor.

Essential workers had to be able to show police a green screen on the covid-19 location app. A red screen meant you were not where you were authorised to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

There's no doubt that China screwed up massively circa December 2019, but once they admitted to themselves they had a problem they immediately rolled out their pandemic plan and went into a lockdown much tougher than New Zealand's highest lockdown level.

My nephew who was living in Hangzhou with his Chinese wife never left their apartment for almost 3 months. Groceries and other essential supplies were ordered online and delivered to their door. Following a txt advising them of delivery, and a knock on their door they had to wait 20 seconds before opening the door. Groceries were on the floor.

Essential workers had to be able to show police a green screen on the covid-19 location app. A red screen meant you were not where you were authorised to be.
          My nephew teaches in Beijing....it's a whole different world....they want a lockdown....it happens....

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

My nephew teaches in Beijing....it's a whole different world....they want a lockdown....it happens....
            And testing is mandatory if they so decree.

I'm not sure about vaccinations but I imagine that is also mandatory. Anti vaxers don't last long in China.

China doesn't believe /allow the Western platform of freedom of choice when it comes to covid-19 vaccinations, testing and lockdowns. The greater good for society comes first.

Comment

China doesn't believe /allow the Western platform of freedom of choice when it comes to covid-19 vaccinations, testing and lockdowns. The greater good for society comes first.
              I would also say that China doesn't believe in the Western platform of freedom of choice when it comes to anything. The greater good for any individual always comes last.

Comment

• Yeah, the China MO is not the template to get excited about, even with their covid "success."
                You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

I would also say that China doesn't believe in the Western platform of freedom of choice when it comes to anything. The greater good for any individual always comes last.
                  Not true Bambam - at least when it comes to Xi Jinping. He is the greater good.😁😁😁😁

Comment

And testing is mandatory if they so decree.

I'm not sure about vaccinations but I imagine that is also mandatory. Anti vaxers don't last long in China.

Vaccination is not yet mandatory, but the way things go, I feel it'd probably be so before the end of the year. At the moment it's still voluntary (as well as free of charge), but one might experience some fuss, mainly at work, if one insists not to get the jab, as employers are constantly being urged to have xx% of their staff vaccinated. Also parents face pressure from their kids' schools, because they do not only require pupils and students to get vaccinated, they also expect the whole households to do so.
                    xw
                    Last edited by xw; 08-30-2021, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• People are in some (many) cases hysterical about covid, but they'll start their children on the path to an early grave while not giving two rips about their own weight and fitness. We've known about comorbidities for at last 15-16 months now, but instead of a huge national push to get fitter, people are getting fatter. Grr!!!

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2783690
                      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

But down to literally nothing in a country of 1.4 billion people? I think not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

Weekly Update:
                          The Monday (8/23/21) afternoon numbers:

Cumulative Numbers:
                          Global: 212.034 million cases & 4,431K deaths
                          The USA: 38.254 million cases & 639K deaths
                          NY State: 2,223.8K cases & 43,318 deaths
                          NJ State: 938.6K cases & 24,033 deaths

Global numbers exclude China which has reported no COVID deaths for over a year. NY & NJ numbers are only confirmed numbers and exclude probable numbers. Bergen numbers unavailable this week.

NJ & NY details:
                          NJ has 946 & NY had1,937 hospitalizations.
                          The Rt for NJ fell to 1.23.
                          NJ spot positivity rate unavailable.
                          NY spot positivity rate at 3.1%.

7-day daily averages:
                          Global: 667K cases & 10K deaths
                          The USA: 146K cases & 1K deaths
                          NY State: 4,366 cases & 8.4 deaths
                          NJ State: 1,628 cases & 8.3 deaths
                          Weekly Update:
                          The Monday (8/30/21) afternoon numbers:

Cumulative Numbers:
                          Global: 216.570 million cases & 4,501K deaths
                          The USA: 38.344 million cases & 648.1K deaths
                          NY State: 2,252.8K cases & 43,533 deaths
                          NJ State: 950.2K cases & 24,133 deaths
                          Bergen: 95,786 cases & 2,616 deaths

NJ & NY Detail:
                          NJ has 1,034 & NY has 2,148 hospitalizations
                          The Rt for NJ fell to 1.11.
                          The recent positivity rate for NJ: 5.35%, & NY: 3.3%
                          NY confirmed + probable deaths = 53,973.
                          NJ confirmed + probable deaths = 26,864

7-day Average Daily Numbers (14-day for Bergen):
                          Global: 661K cases & 10K deaths
                          The USA: 156K cases & 1.3K deaths
                          NY State: 4,687 cases & 29 deaths
                          NJ State: 1,676 cases & 14 deaths
                          Bergen: 152 cases & 0.7 deaths
                          Halfmiler2
                          Last edited by Halfmiler2; 08-31-2021, 03:04 AM.

Comment

• Hospitalizations in FL have dropped by about 10% the past week.

Comment

• Singapore went from a 31% vaccination rate to an 80% vaccination rate in just under 3 months (yahoo.com)
                              • Singapore has fully vaccinated 80% of its 5.7-million population, its Health Minister said on Sunday.
                              • This paves the way for the country to reopen its borders and lift restrictions as it shifts away from a zero-COVID strategy.
                              • The city-state launched "vaccinated travel lanes" with Germany and Brunei earlier this month, where vaccinated travelers will not have to serve quarantine.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                                Hospitalizations in FL have dropped by about 10% the past week.
                                From local paper in Lee County:
                                There was a 3.9% drop in the seven-day change in hospitalizations on Friday and a decline in new cases by 387 from the day before to 16,163 cases.

The hospital association reported the first dip in seven-day hospitalizations on Aug. 24 of .1% and seven fewer hospitalizations from the day before.

The association uses data from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

“Fingers crossed, we may be seeing the beginning of a downward trend in COVID-19 hospitalizations, but new cases remain near all-time highs, so it is much too early to declare victory,” Mary C. Mayhew, president and chief executive officer of the hospital association, said in a news release.

Comment

Working...
                                X