Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the no-nonsense, nothing-but-the-facts-m'am C19 thread

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • For what it is worth, the Rt (Replacement Rate) in NJ peaked at 1.51 thus summer and has now fallen to 1.09. It is not yet under 1.0 but seems headed in that direction. And while the cases are up a lot and hospitalizations up modestly, the number of deaths remain low compared to earlier in the pandemic.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 09-01-2021, 02:46 AM.

    Comment


    • Something I don't understand, and maybe someone with more insider knowledge can educate us: during the early stages of the pandemic one of the absolute biggest causes of concern was the lack of hospital beds. There was a push to get ready, construct M.A.S.H. - like units, etc...where have these all gone? Why are we struggling now 18 months in when this was supposedly all foreseen?
      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
        Something I don't understand, and maybe someone with more insider knowledge can educate us: during the early stages of the pandemic one of the absolute biggest causes of concern was the lack of hospital beds. There was a push to get ready, construct M.A.S.H. - like units, etc...where have these all gone? Why are we struggling now 18 months in when this was supposedly all foreseen?
        If they don't have the people to staff them, it doesn't help to build those temporary units. There's a huge nursing shortage in most hotspots now.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

          From local paper in Lee County:
          There was a 3.9% drop in the seven-day change in hospitalizations on Friday and a decline in new cases by 387 from the day before to 16,163 cases.

          The hospital association reported the first dip in seven-day hospitalizations on Aug. 24 of .1% and seven fewer hospitalizations from the day before.

          The association uses data from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

          “Fingers crossed, we may be seeing the beginning of a downward trend in COVID-19 hospitalizations, but new cases remain near all-time highs, so it is much too early to declare victory,” Mary C. Mayhew, president and chief executive officer of the hospital association, said in a news release.
          Hospitalizations were over 17,000 a week ago and yesterday were in the mid 15k's. That's where I got the number from.

          Cases are accelerating through the schools and will likely mean less hospitalizations for the near future.

          Comment


          • meanwhile in immunoworld...

            Moderna COVID Vaccine Stimulates Twice the Antibody Response as Pfizer-BioNTech


            https://www.biospace.com/article/mod...er-biontech-s/

            Comment


            • meanwhile in nomenclature-land....

              WHO monitoring new coronavirus variant named Mu


              https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...box=1630484066

              Comment


              • Originally posted by gh View Post
                meanwhile in nomenclature-land....

                WHO monitoring new coronavirus variant named Mu


                https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...box=1630484066
                Is it pronounced MO???

                Comment


                • Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

                  Hospitalizations were over 17,000 a week ago and yesterday were in the mid 15k's. That's where I got the number from.

                  Cases are accelerating through the schools and will likely mean less hospitalizations for the near future.
                  Florida reported 18 deaths from Monday thru Wednesday.
                  In my county: "On Wednesday, 13 patients died of COVID-19 complications. On Monday, Lee Health said 18 patients had died, the highest one-day death toll from the virus."
                  What is DeS hiding?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by jeremyp View Post
                    What is DeS hiding?
                    a. Total lack of compassion
                    b. Low IQ
                    c. Misplaced Political Ambition
                    d. All of the Above

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      a. Total lack of compassion
                      b. Low IQ
                      c. Misplaced Political Ambition
                      d. All of the Above
                      He's not hiding any of those.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by jeremyp View Post

                        Is it pronounced MO???
                        Clever. I see what you did there.

                        Well played.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          a. Total lack of compassion
                          b. Low IQ
                          c. Misplaced Political Ambition
                          d. All of the Above
                          FACT: DeSantis was a baseball star at Yale. I had no idea until a few days ago.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by gm View Post

                            FACT: DeSantis was a baseball star at Yale. I had no idea until a few days ago.
                            And George W went to Yale and Harvard!

                            Comment


                            • This thread seems to be straying...
                              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                                This thread seems to be straying...
                                Yeah. You could see that coming.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X