Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now an even more baffling finding has turned up in a study of 1,900 prostitutes in Nairobi, Kenya. Four of them became infected with H.I.V., the virus that causes AIDS, but only after they stopped working as prostitutes or took breaks of two months or more, leaders of the study reported at the Seventh Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, which ended here today.

https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/tim...?pageNumber=17

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
      meanwhile, in genetics world....

Some people may be better protected against coronavirus due to genes, study finds

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-09-28/...es-study-finds
      I've wondered this.

Strictly anecdotal, but no one in my family from my elderly parents down do my daughters have even had a whiff of it, so far as we know. I'm a firefighter and my wife is a university counselor sharing space with the camous clinic so we come into contact with it daily. That said, we are all vaccinated at this point, so maybe we've been protected?

Also, so far as I know, I've never had the flu in my life. I get 2 colds a year, but unless I get mild ones, I've never had the flu. Never one of those in-bed-for-days hating life sicknesses.

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
      You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
        They are not different. When the median scores for four groups are 88, 80 73 and 0, it's hard to process that information. The way the article is written could be a bit misleading, though.
        The median risks to the unvaccinated according to Democratic unvaccinated, Democratic vaccinated, Republican unvaccinated and Republican vaccinated are 27%, 33%, 5% and 15% respectively. The median risks to the vaccinated according to these groups are 4%, 1%, 5% and 2%. As you said, the way the writer mixed stats from different columns was misleading, though his larger point is correct.

Comment

• Yesterday the U.S. had 4 times more new cases than anybody and 2.5 times more new deaths than anybody. We always say we're exceptional!

Comment

• Well, here is the reason.

Share of fully vaccinated population.

Canada 73.71%.
            Italy 67.68%.
            UK 65.73%
            France 65.58%.
            Germany 63.71%.
            Japan 59.54%.
            USA 54.81%.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccinations - Statistics and Research - Our World in Data

Comment

• meanwhile, in treatment-land...

Merck’s antiviral pill reduces hospitalization of Covid patients, a possible game-changer for treatment

https://www.statnews.com/2021/10/01/...for-treatment/

Comment

meanwhile, in treatment-land...

Merck’s antiviral pill reduces hospitalization of Covid patients, a possible game-changer for treatment

Fauci calls data "impressive"

https://www.voanews.com/a/fauci-call...e/6253829.html

Comment

• Welcoming news to have another arrow in our quiver against the virus. I hope this meets with less resistance than the vaccines have.

Comment

meanwhile, in treatment-land...

I've been expecting this sort of development. Did anyone seriously think that it wouldn't happen? I said last year that anti-viral drugs will appear far sooner than they did for HIV. And if people who are among the most detested on earth can succeed in getting big pharma to save them, the average person has little to worry about. As soon as these drugs show similar efficacy to HIV drugs, it's game over for the idiot protesters.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1.609 View Post
                      I've been expecting this sort of development. Did anyone seriously think that it wouldn't happen?
                      I expected it would happen, but that it might happen years in the future, after Covid's prevalence has substantially declined.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1.609 View Post
                        As soon as these drugs show similar efficacy to HIV drugs, it's game over for the idiot protesters.
                        I would not be this optimistic. I have already seen idiotic conspiracy theories about this Merck drug.

Comment

• OK, some people are gonna fall for cockamamie conspiracy theories but who starts them and why?
                          Last edited by lonewolf; 10-02-2021, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                            I would not be this optimistic. I have already seen idiotic conspiracy theories about this Merck drug.
                            When HIV meds shut down viral replication, it was the death knell of the "HIV doesn't cause AIDS" nonsense. It will be the same again.

Comment

• According to the New York Times of Sept. 30th, only 12 people are responsible for 65% of all anti-vaccine messaging on social media.

Comment

• [QUOTE=lonewolf;n1725979]OK, some people are gonna fall for cockamamie conspiracy theories but who starts them and why?[/Q

Nobody pays attention to someone who agrees with common knowledge. To get attention you have to disagree, and it helps to have a made up theory based on made up facts. Contrarians live for attention. The Dems have 2 well known ones in the Senate right now.The Reps are teeming with them.

Comment

Working...
                                X