Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wife and I got our 3rd Moderna today. Our doctors gave us 'immuno-suppressed' vouchers, which is the only way we could have gotten it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      The wife and I got our 3rd Moderna today. Our doctors gave us 'immuno-suppressed' vouchers, which is the only way we could have gotten it.
      so you're saying you jumped the queue?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        The wife and I got our 3rd Moderna today. Our doctors gave us 'immuno-suppressed' vouchers, which is the only way we could have gotten it.
        Real or fake? Vouchers that is.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post

so you're saying you jumped the queue?
          That seems to be standard practice if you live in Florida.

Comment

• For 105 days, COVID’s death toll in Florida counties went missing

The state and federal government could have shared the death toll in each county with the public, but didn’t.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health...-went-missing/

Comment

• On mixing and matching.

The NIH study tested and compared every possible combination, and here’s the gist: If you need a booster, don’t take J&J. Two weeks after boosting, people who had followed a J&J → Moderna regimen registered average antibody levels that were 9.8 times higher than those who had gotten two J&J shots; antibody levels among J&J → Pfizer recipients hovered just behind. Overall, the highest antibody levels were found among people for whom all three doses were Moderna; Pfizer → Moderna produced the second-highest levels, then Moderna → Pfizer.

But the apparent advantage of using the mRNA vaccines as boosters, compared with J&J’s, is so large, he said, that it’s unlikely to be an error.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...accine/620395/

Comment

• Those pesky Russians are trying to beat us again!

"Russia’s official statistics showed 221,313 pandemic-related deaths by mid-October, but the independent demographer Alexey Raksha calculated that excess mortality — seen by analysts as the most reliable indicator of coronavirus deaths — has reached around 750,000. Raksha’s calculation used figures maintained by Rosstat, Russia’s statistical agency. Meanwhile, a report in the Moscow Times estimated the figure at about 660,000.

Russian independent analysts say officials manipulated statistics and underplayed the crisis, most likely for political reasons — claims that have been made about governments in other countries, including China and Turkey."
                https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/russia-covid-count-fake-statistics/2021/10/16/b9d47058-277f-11ec-8739-5cb6aba30a30_story.html

Comment

• From NYT.

Even as the coronavirus wave driven by the Delta variant is receding in much of the United States, many counties across the country’s northernmost regions are experiencing rising cases as colder weather arrives.

The top five states in new daily cases per capita are led by Alaska, which is logging the highest daily average: 125 cases per 100,000 people, according to a New York Times database. The next four states, with at least 67 cases per 100,000 people, are Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota and Idaho.

Comment

• Meanwhile...in the Financial Times

Covid strain threatens to be most infectious yet

CLIVE COOKSON AND JOHN BURN-MURDOCH

Scientists are anxiously tracking a descendant of the Delta coronavirus, which is responsible for a growing proportion of Covid-19 cases in the UK, and could be more infectious than the original Delta variant, they say.

This AY.4.2 subvariant has only recently been recognised by virologists who follow the genetic evolution of Delta but it already accounts for almost 10 per cent of UK cases. Its prevalence is increasing rapidly, though not as fast as the original Delta variant when it reached Britain from India early this year.

Two experts — Jeffrey Barrett, director of the Covid-19 Genomics Initiative at the Wellcome Sanger Institute in Cambridge, and François Balloux, director of the University College London Genetics Institute — said AY.4.2 seemed to be 10 to 15 per cent more transmissible than the original Delta, which dominates cases worldwide.

If the preliminary evidence is confirmed, AY.4.2 may be the most infectious coronavirus strain since the pandemic started, said Balloux. “But we have to be careful at this stage,” he added. “Britain is the only country in which it has taken off in this way and I still would not rule out its growth being a chance demographic event.”

Comment

• Colin Powell dying from COVID was a bummer for me not only because he was a true public servant, but also because he was a vaccinated Myeloma patient like me.

Of course, Powell was 16 years older than I am, so I’d imagine his immune system was weaker than mine. When I got COVID in February, it was relatively mild.

Comment

• Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

Weekly Update:
                        The Columbus Day (10/11/21) afternoon numbers:

Cumulative Numbers:
                        Global: 237.153 million cases & 4,838K deaths
                        The USA: 44.330 million cases & 713.8K deaths
                        NY State: 2.456 million cases & 44,880 deaths
                        NJ State: 1.019 million cases & 24,806 deaths
                        Bergen: 101,495 cases & 2,664 deaths

NJ & NY Detail:
                        The Rt for NJ is 0.93.
                        NJ has 3.93% and NY has 2.4% positivity rates.
                        NJ has 866 & NY has 2,249 hospitalizations.
                        NJ has 27,603 & NY has 57,047 deaths including probables.

7-Day Daily Averages:
                        Global: 415K cases & 7K deaths
                        The USA: 60K cases & 1.1K deaths
                        NY State: 4,954 cases & 31 deaths
                        NJ State: 1,410 cases & 16.4 deaths
                        Bergen: 106 cases & 1.1 deaths
                        Weekly Update:
                        The Monday (10/18/21) afternoon numbers:

Cumulative Numbers:
                        Globally: 239.974 million cases & 4,885K deaths
                        The USA: 44.915 million cases & 724.5K deaths
                        NY State: 2.488 million cases & 45,137 deaths
                        NJ State: 1.027 million cases & 24,927 deaths
                        Bergen: 102,223 cases & 2,656 deaths

NJ & NY Details:
                        The Rt for NJ is 0.92.
                        NJ has 890 and NY has 2,134 hospitalizations.
                        NJ has 3.9% and NY has 2.5% positivity rates.
                        NJ has 27,725 and NY has 57,288 deaths including probables.

7-day daily averages:
                        Global: 415K cases & 6.7K deaths
                        The USA: 98K cases & 1.5K deaths
                        NY State: 4,389 cases & 37 deaths
                        NJ State: 1,415 cases & 17 deaths

Comment

• Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                          Colin Powell dying from COVID was a bummer for me not only because he was a true public servant, but also because he was a vaccinated Myeloma patient like me.

Of course, Powell was 16 years older than I am, so I’d imagine his immune system was weaker than mine. When I got COVID in February, it was relatively mild.
                          Stay healthy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                            Meanwhile...in the Financial Times

Covid strain threatens to be most infectious yet

CLIVE COOKSON AND JOHN BURN-MURDOCH

Scientists are anxiously tracking a descendant of the Delta coronavirus, which is responsible for a growing proportion of Covid-19 cases in the UK, and could be more infectious than the original Delta variant, they say.

This AY.4.2 subvariant has only recently been recognised by virologists who follow the genetic evolution of Delta but it already accounts for almost 10 per cent of UK cases. Its prevalence is increasing rapidly, though not as fast as the original Delta variant when it reached Britain from India early this year.

Two experts — Jeffrey Barrett, director of the Covid-19 Genomics Initiative at the Wellcome Sanger Institute in Cambridge, and François Balloux, director of the University College London Genetics Institute — said AY.4.2 seemed to be 10 to 15 per cent more transmissible than the original Delta, which dominates cases worldwide.

If the preliminary evidence is confirmed, AY.4.2 may be the most infectious coronavirus strain since the pandemic started, said Balloux. “But we have to be careful at this stage,” he added. “Britain is the only country in which it has taken off in this way and I still would not rule out its growth being a chance demographic event.”

From Bloomberg:

A German paper out earlier this month found while both delta and delta plus infect lung cells more efficiently than the original coronavirus strain, delta plus doesn’t appear to be significantly more dangerous than delta.

From BBC

Experts say it is unlikely to take off in a big way or escape current vaccines.
                            Last edited by jeremyp; 10-19-2021, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• meanwhile, in Lone Ranger country......

Still using cloth masks? It’s time to switch to surgical — here’s why

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/15/are-...explained.html

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                                meanwhile, in Lone Ranger country......

Still using cloth masks? It’s time to switch to surgical — here’s why

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/15/are-...explained.html
                                The best option is still the 3M N95. I saw some on the shelf at a local hardware store recently, indicating that the supply has finally caught up with the demand.
                                Last edited by jazzcyclist; 10-20-2021, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X