Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the no-nonsense, nothing-but-the-facts-m'am C19 thread

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I guess you would need a preety bucket to collect hippo-snot.

    And I am guessing the Pfizer vax needle might not work very well on hippos.

    Comment


    • With the recent addition of hippos to the list, so far Covid-19 has been detected in:

      hippos
      mink
      bats
      otters
      hamsters
      tree shrews
      rabbits
      domestic cats
      big cats
      dogs
      apes
      ferrets
      North American wild deer

      I may be missing a few species. The last one could be a major force in making Covid stick around forever, as you can't vaccinate or quarantine them like zoo or farm animals, and the high rate of human interaction with them (via hunters) will provide many opportunities for deer-borne mutations to spread back into humans.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
        a major force in making Covid stick around forever, as you can't vaccinate or quarantine them like zoo or farm animals, and the high rate of human interaction with them (via hunters) will provide many opportunities for deer-borne mutations to spread back.
        The consensus of what I've read agrees that Covid will be a problem for a long, long time, esp. as it mutates and makes end-runs around vaccines.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          The consensus of what I've read agrees that Covid will be a problem for a long, long time, esp. as it mutates and makes end-runs around vaccines.
          Covid no govid
          It ain't near ovid.
          Won't quit me dayjib either

          Comment


          • How do you diagnose covid in animals?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
              How do you diagnose covid in animals?
              I think in dogs if they stop sniffing other dogs' asses, you know they've got it.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                I think in dogs if they stop sniffing other dogs' asses, you know they've got it.
                I just look for the anti-vaxxers and assume they either have it or are about to get it.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                  How do you diagnose covid in animals?
                  Take a sample of their snot or saliva and send it to the lab.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                    Take a sample of their snot or saliva and send it to the lab.
                    OK. Now, how do you catch a tree shrew, whatever that is?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by lonewolf View Post

                      OK. Now, how do you catch a tree shrew, whatever that is?
                      Do they have trees in Oklahoma?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
                        Do they have trees in Oklahoma?
                        Yeah, in eastern Oklahoma and a few in the creek bottoms in western Oklahoma but I still would not know how to catch a tree shrew.

                        Comment


                        • I am sorry but the statistical weekly update will need to wait one more week until retuning next Monday. The USATF Annual Meeting is over but I am still traveling to get home late on Tuesday.

                          Comment


                          • I’m amazed by the vitriolic attacks on Dr Fauci by “conservatives” who describe him as a “Nazi”. He and his family have had to deal with death threats!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Django View Post
                              I’m amazed by the vitriolic attacks on Dr Fauci by “conservatives” who describe him as a “Nazi”. He and his family have had to deal with death threats!
                              When I was a 4th year medical student (1983-84), I was doing a rheumatology rotation, and the rheum fellow and I started discussing Anthony Fauci, because he had written 2 of the papers we had just reviewed. This was 37 years ago and the rheum fellow and the attending rheumatologist spoke of him in awe even back then. So Fauci has been top of the medical world for a long time.

                              Some of the biggest attacks on him have come from Rand Paul, who I am ashamed to say was a Duke medical student about 2 years after me.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by gh View Post
                                and some good news....

                                WHO says no deaths reported from Omicron yet as Covid variant spreads


                                https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ariant-spreads
                                Why the good news about the Omicron variant's reduced severity may be a mirage (yahoo.com)

                                ...The evidence for greater transmissibility is more persuasive at this point than reduced severity, but "thus far, the signals are a bit encouraging regarding the severity," Dr. Anthony Fauci said on CNN this weekend.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X