X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
    Here we go again.
    It is not a matter of opinion. The facts are readily available if you want to find them. Many whites are killed by police every year. The controlling factors are not race.

Comment

Originally posted by user4 View Post

It is not a matter of opinion. The facts are readily available if you want to find them. Many whites are killed by police every year. The controlling factors are not race.
      I agree that many whites are killed by police every year. And many of those happen in areas with no newspapers
      or local news coverage, so we never hear of them. But how does that preclude racism being a factor in this crime or the Arbery shooting in Georgia?

Comment

Originally posted by DJG View Post
        I agree that many whites are killed by police every year. And many of those happen in areas with no newspapers or local news coverage, so we never hear of them. But how does that preclude racism being a factor in this crime or the Arbery shooting in Georgia?
        Nothing can preclude it and no amount of evidence can stop some people from believing it. What we can know is that what becomes a national news event is not determined strictly from the injustice of the events.

When a white suspect is mistakenly or carelessly killed by a cop you will almost never hear about it. You could look them up and do your own research, and it will be just as disturbing to you as when a black victim falls prey to police brutality.

We also know that in the aggregate, when all controlling factors are accounted for the race of the person in a police action is almost irrelevant. You can much more accurately determine the outcome of police action by other factors. Do your own search and read the books published on this topic, there is plenty of information out there.
        Last edited by user4; 05-28-2020, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by user4 View Post

Nothing can preclude it and no amount of evidence can stop some people from believing it. What we can know is that what becomes a national news event is not determined strictly from the injustice of the events.

When a white suspect is mistakenly or carelessly killed by a cop you will almost never hear about it. You could look them up and do your own research, and it will be just as disturbing to you as when a black victim falls prey to police brutality.

We also know that in the aggregate, when all controlling factors are accounted for the race of the person in a police action is almost irrelevant. You can much more accurately determine the outcome of police action by other factors. Do your own search and read the books published on this topic, there is plenty of information out there.
          i am quite up to date on the history of racism and the treatment of minorities in our country. With something like 60,000 homicides a year I would suppose that a very small % are by the police. Police shootings are seen as especially newsworthy because the police are supposed to "serve and protect" not kill citizens.
          you seem to believe that racism has been eradicated and there is indeed Equal Justice Under Law throughout the land. From where I stand racism is alive and well in America and has gotten worse in the past decade.

Comment

Originally posted by DJG View Post
            Police shootings are seen as especially newsworthy because the police are supposed to "serve and protect" not kill citizens.
            Actually the newsworthiness of a police killing seems to be hightened to state or national attention only when the victim is black and the cop is white. Innumerable white-cop-kills-white suspect are never reported. If they were you would have in your mind right now countless images of white suspects killed by cops. But you can't see them because the media ignored them.

The greatest power the media has is the power to ignore.
            Last edited by user4; 05-29-2020, 02:22 AM.

Comment

So, if the press never reports the innumerable white-cop-kills-white-suspect cases and goes out of its way to ignore them, how and where did you learn of all these specific incidents? Do you have some sort of special hotline?

Comment

So, if the press never reports the innumerable white-cop-kills-white-suspect cases and goes out of its way to ignore them, how and where did you learn of all these specific incidents? Do you have some sort of special hotline?
                Read Larry Elder's, or Heather MacDonald's work.
                https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-myt...cop-1477261025

And there was also a recent work by a Harvard professor. https://scholar.harvard.edu/fryer/pu...lice-use-force

But an important question is this. If police brutality is an important issue for us , and it should certainly be, it is best to have as many cases exposed as possible.

I also have a great interest in police deaths in the line of duty.
                Last edited by user4; 05-29-2020, 02:15 AM.

Comment

So basically hearsay.

Comment

So basically hearsay.
                    Yeah, all hearsay..
                    https://youtu.be/n1pJe_Tcdeg

Comment

• A casual glance at this study -- https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0141854 -- indicates to me that it is more dangerous to be an unarmed black person than an armed white person when it comes to being shot by a police officer.

I could be wrong, and would be happy to have this explained to me by someone smarter.

Comment

• The police officer was also found not guilty in that case - despicable decision. So are you saying that means there's no racism involved in Floyd's case-he wasn't waving a gun around beforehand like the white guy allegedly was? But maybe I'm misunderstanding what you've been saying all along. Are you saying the police will be acquitted, no matter which race the alleged criminal/victim (person killed) is? If that's so, they have carte blanche on all of us.

Comment

• Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
                          The police officer was also found not guilty in that case - despicable decision. So are you saying that means there's no racism involved in Floyd's case-he wasn't waving a gun around beforehand like the white guy allegedly was? But maybe I'm misunderstanding what you've been saying all along. Are you saying the police will be acquitted, no matter which race the alleged criminal/victim (person killed) is? If that's so, they have carte blanche on all of us.
                          That guy was unarmed... He had a pellet rifle earlier in his hotel room. It was not in the hallway when he was killed..
                          https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoo..._Daniel_Shaver

The evidence is saying that the race of the suspect is not a strong factor in determining how a cop treats you and it is a non factor regarding deadly force. These are horrible crimes and miscarriages of justice, they are infuriating and they almost impossible to watch. I still can not bring myself to watch the Minneapolis killing in its entirety. Very disturbing.
                          Last edited by user4; 05-29-2020, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by user4 View Post

Actually the newsworthiness of a police killing seems to be hightened to state or national attention only when the victim is black and the cop is white. Innumerable white-cop-kills-white suspect are never reported. If they were you would have in your mind right now countless images of white suspects killed by cops. But you can't see them because the media ignored them.

The greatest power the media has is the power to ignore.
                            I agree that White-on-Black killings and Black-on-White killings (eg. O.J. Simpson) get much more media coverage than White-on-White and Black-on-Black killings with a few exceptions such as Ruby Ridge and Freddie Gray. Is that surprising to you given this nation's shameful history with regards to race? Race has always been America's defining fault line.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                              I agree that White-on-Black killings and Black-on-White killings (eg. O.J. Simpson) get much more media coverage than White-on-White and Black-on-Black killings with a few exceptions such as Ruby Ridge and Freddie Gray. Is that surprising to you given this nation's shameful history with regards to race? Race has always been America's defining fault line.
                              I guess we should all be more outraged by murder of every stripe. But that does not excuse knowingly misleading and exploiting people regarding the factor that race plays in violent crime in America or police brutality.

So I guess the answer is yes I am surprised that this fraudulent race hustle is still being successfully played in order to polarize and destroy communities of color for the purpose of giving the race hustler a life of respect and leisure.

​​​​​
                              Last edited by user4; 05-29-2020, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• I will guess that by "race hustle" you are thinking of the case where someone staged his own mugging?

Respecting all lives is fundamentally the issue, and I think most people are appalled by "murder of every stripe".

The video of egregiously Bad Policing in your hotel video just points to another area that needs attention:
                                the training is obviously encouraging a "shoot first ask questions later" approach and that needs to change.

Comment

Working...
                                X