This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DJG View Post
    I will guess that by "race hustle" you are thinking of the case where someone staged his own mugging? Respecting all lives is fundamentally the issue, and I think most people are appalled by "murder of every stripe". The video of egregiously Bad Policing in your hotel video just points to another area that needs attention: The training is obviously encouraging a "shoot first ask questions later" approach and that needs to change.
    In countless of these police brutality/murder cases, and I think the hotel and the Minneapolis cases highlight this very grim fact. There are men wearing a badge that do not have the life experience, basic temperament or learned civility to serve in a police force. There is absolutely no way that the Minneapolis police department could have not known that that officer was a disgrace long before he took George Floyd's life. Likewise, the Arizona hotel murder video, you can not watch that and not think that these "officers" are acting like feral teenagers with guns, complete incompetence.

They may only be 1% of a police force but 1% of a very big number is a deadly critical mass of people. I dont know if it is the case, I have not studied the numbers but it is possible that police forces are hiring many very young (under 25) men that had military service. While military service has great value in combat/military scenarios and circumstances, if not coupled with the right temperament and proper training in civil rights it is the exact wrong kind of training for police work.
    Last edited by user4; 05-29-2020, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Meanwhile....in weird twists....

George Floyd and accused officer knew each other, city council member says

Minneapolis City Council Vice President Andrea Jenkins said George Floyd and fired police officer Derek Chauvin knew each other because they worked security jobs at the same night club.

Both men worked at El Nuevo Rodeo on Lake Street before their last encounter, which left Floyd dead and a city in turmoil. Chauvin has been identified as the officer who held down Floyd by kneeling on his neck.

“They were both bouncers at that restaurant,” Jenkins told CNN. “So, Officer Chauvin, he knew George. They were co-workers for a really long time.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-live-updates/

Comment

• Originally posted by user4 View Post

I guess we should all be more outraged by murder of every stripe. But that does not excuse knowingly misleading and exploiting people regarding the factor that race plays in violent crime in America or police brutality.

So I guess the answer is yes I am surprised that this fraudulent race hustle is still being successfully played in order to polarize and destroy communities of color for the purpose of giving the race hustler a life of respect and leisure.

​​​​​
        Race hustle? Is that what you think was going on when an all-White jury acquitted the man who assassinated Herbert Lee in broad day light in from of multiple witnesses? Is that what was going on when an all-White jury acquitted the man who assassinated Medgar Evans despite the fact that the murder weapon belonged to him and had his finger prints all over it? Is that what was going on when an all-White jury convicted Ed Johnson to death for sexually assaulting a White woman despite multiple alibi witnesses and then an all-White mob drug him all of jail and hang him after the Supreme Court stayed his execution during the appeals process?

Comment

• Meanwhile, this is what the Minneapolis police had already known about Derek Chauvin...

The Minneapolis police officer who knelt on George Floyd's neck had 18 previous complaints against him, police department says

"The former Minneapolis police officer seen in a video with his knee on George Floyd's neck had 18 prior complaints filed against him with the Minneapolis Police Department's Internal Affairs, according to the police department."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/28/us/mi...oyd/index.html

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
            Race hustle? Is that what you think was going on when an all-White jury acquitted the man who assassinated Herbert Lee in broad day light in from of multiple witnesses? Is that what was going on when an all-White jury acquitted the man who assassinated Medgar Evans despite the fact that the murder weapon belonged to him and had his finger prints all over it? Is that what was going on when an all-White jury convicted Ed Johnson to death for sexually assaulting a White woman despite multiple alibi witnesses and then an all-White mob drug him all of jail and hang him after the Supreme Court stayed his execution during the appeals process?
            Yes, I agree the white race hustle of the segregated south was very much akin to what we are seeing today. Regarding police brutality I was thinking of the last 20 years..Again read the articles that explain the findings based on all of the aggregated statistics. You certainly can cherry pick anecdotes. That is what people do when they want to cling to a world view while the world and facts go by them.

Herbert Lee : murdered Mississippi, 1961, that is 59 years ago.
            Medgar Evers: murdered Mississippi, 1963, that is 57 years ago.
            Ed Johnson: murdered 1906, 114 years ago.
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_of_Ed_Johnson

Consider anecdotes of the converse, do you think someone could give you a list of 3 white men killed by a gang of black thugs ?

If you think they could, why would you think that there is anything to learn in 2020 regarding race and murder from a highly tailored and selective set of anecdotes from the early 1960s?... why not the early 1920s ?

The fact is that as I mentioned before, the race of a suspect has near zero predictive information regarding the use of deadly force by police. That is just a fact. If we use facts to shape our understanding of the world around us we are better able to understand the world around us. If we use self censured anecdotes from 60 years ago we are led astray.
            Last edited by user4; 05-29-2020, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
              Meanwhile, this is what the Minneapolis police had already known about Derek Chauvin...The Minneapolis police officer who knelt on George Floyd's neck had 18 previous complaints against him, police department says
              Watching that video, tells you tomes about the fitness of Derek Chauvin to wear a badge. That man is a cold, merciless thug. He is going away for a long time.

Comment

• Chauvin charged with 3rd-degree murder and manslaughter

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/us/mi...9T18%3A28%3A16

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                  “They were both bouncers at that restaurant,” Jenkins told CNN. “So, Officer Chauvin, he knew George. They were co-workers for a really long time.”[/I]
                  Wow, I did not see that one coming . . .

Comment

• maybe a law dude (or polymath of another variety) can explain to me why he would have both murder and manslaughter charges.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                      maybe a law dude (or polymath of another variety) can explain to me why he would have both murder and manslaughter charges.
                      To give both options to a jury?

Comment

• I've seen reports of situations in which more than two charges were brought for the same act. In the case of different degrees of murder/manslaughter, I think this is, as NotDutra5 suggests, to give the jury the option. If they think the prosecutor has not proven the greater offense, they can convict for a lesser offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                          I've seen reports of situations in which more than two charges were brought for the same act. In the case of different degrees of murder/manslaughter, I think this is, as NotDutra5 suggests, to give the jury the option. If they think the prosecutor has not proven the greater offense, they can convict for a lesser offense.
                          IIRC...that was an issue in the Casey Anthony case in that the jury had no other option and that the State Attorney's office basically "overcharged".

Comment

• FWIW....

Mohamed Noor, also a Minneapolis PD officer, was convicted of 3rd degree murder & 2nd degree manslaughter for shooting and killing Justine Damond in 2017 Although the statute permits up to 25 yrs, Noor was sentenced to 12.5

https://mobile.twitter.com/obarcala/...32500861153284

Comment

• main arterial through San José shut down by protestors

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...death/2298701/

Comment

• Protesting is everybody's right.Burning and Looting isn't. I know it's only a small number of people but this is what the media will focus on, so it looks much more wide spread. It will play into the hands of the Law and Order crowd and diminish the real issue: Police racism. I heard Don Lemon say it was just "highly insured" businesses, and compared it, as being small potatoes to the Cop murder on the video. Today I heard another activist excuse the burning as necessary. Unfortunately leaderless movements get steered into mayhem by activist anarchists.

Comment

Working...
                                X