• Show
Clear All

• So much for all those NBC ads...

Simone Biles withdraws from women's team gymnastics at Tokyo 2020 Olympics

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/27/sport...ics/index.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
      So much for all those NBC ads...

Whether it's Alexander Karelin at the 2000 Olympics, Usain Bolt at the 2017 World Championships or Biles in Tokyo, GOATs rarely get storybook endings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        So much for all those NBC ads...

That's only for the team event. She might still compete in the individual events.

Comment

• NBC must be STRESSING. They've been endlessly promoting Simone Biles all spring and summer leading up to the Olympics. They're probably now sitting on hundreds of different content that now can't be used.

At least they still have Allyson Felix next week.

Comment

• As I mentioned over on the other Tokyo thread US officials initially told NBC is was a "mental issue". Then, it became a "medical issue" with no mention of injury(hardly a walkback).

Anyone who saw her instagram post yesterday saying she feels like she has the weight of the world on her shoulders probably saw this coming.
            There are no strings on me

Comment

• Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post
              NBC must be STRESSING. They've been endlessly promoting Simone Biles all spring and summer leading up to the Olympics. They're probably now sitting on hundreds of different content that now can't be used.

I doubt it's a problem. Gymnastics is going to be watched by those who tend to watch it anyhow and NBC can just shift the focus on Biles from "how good is she" to "poor Simone" or something like that. I'm sure those episodes are being spliced together as we speak. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if the attention goes up because she's not competing...at least today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weights&Shoes View Post
                NBC must be STRESSING. They've been endlessly promoting Simone Biles all spring and summer leading up to the Olympics. They're probably now sitting on hundreds of different content that now can't be used.

The Tokyo Olympics are turning into NBC's worst nightmare

Greg Braxton, senior writer: Today I tuned in to the USA women's beach volleyball team trying to play a match in typhoon weather, which might sum up the Olympic viewing experience: The event has been overcome by a figurative typhoon. The spotlight and emphasis that NBC has placed on these opening marquee events, featuring some of sports' biggest stars, have been crushed by a perfect storm of unimaginable disappointment and anticlimactic performances. Trying to make sense out of the maze of coverage among the various platforms of NBC, Peacock, the Olympic Channel, USA Network and others is difficult enough. Combine that with the news coming out of Tokyo about the stumbles of star athletes and it becomes doubly frustrating.

I watched the USA Men's Basketball Team match on Sunday while reading the paper — there was no reason to pay close attention because a news bulletin several hours before announced they had lost to France. The result for the U.S. women's gymnastics team was also broadcast far in advance, as you say. You would have had to stay in a closet all day if you didn't want to know the outcome before turning on your TV tonight.

https://news.yahoo.com/tokyo-olympic...8tewdJOrz5bmlG

Comment

• Japan's daily total of COVID-19 cases topped 9,000 for the first time on Wednesday, with a surge in infections in Tokyo casting a pall over the Olympics and putting pressure on the government of Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga to take stronger countermeasures.
                  The capital confirmed 3,177 COVID-19 cases, hitting a record for the second straight day and pushing up the nationwide tally to exceed the previous all-time high of 7,958 set Jan. 8, as hospitals come under increasing strain.
                  The surge in infections comes as the highly contagious Delta variant of the coronavirus spreads and people in Tokyo tire of restrictions under a state of emergency.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...vt-source.html

Comment

• Suga has denied the possibility of canceling the Olympics, which opened Friday without spectators at almost all venues, and said that "there is no worry" as people are expected to move around less.

But Takaji Wakita, head of the national institute, who also leads the health ministry's COVID-19 countermeasures advisory panel, warned at a press conference on Wednesday that "the spread of infections (over this one week in the country) is something never experienced before."

Comment

• Meanwhile...

The Tokyo Olympic organizing committee on Thursday reported 24 more COVID-19 cases associated with the games, the highest in a 24-hour span since infections began being compiled from the start of this month.

The 24 cases included three athletes for the Olympics, which opened on Friday following an unprecedented one-year postponement due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The daily figures were announced by the committee a day after both Japan and Tokyo's COVID-19 infection numbers hit all-time highs of 9,583 and 3,177, respectively.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...hour-span.html

Comment

• Meanwhile....

Video of Israeli athletes breaking cardboard village bed goes viral

The video has since been deleted but has drawn angry responses in Japan. According to local reports, it was removed at the request of the Israeli Olympic Committee.

"It's not funny at all. As a Japanese, it makes me very sad," said one internet comment.

"I don't understand why anyone would destroy something belonging to someone else," another said.

Many other athletes have taken to social media sites to share their opinions on the now infamous bed.

American distance runner Paul Chelimo wrote on Twitter on July 17 that the beds were "aimed at preventing intimacy among athletes." Chelimo, among others, dubbed them anti-sex beds.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...oes-viral.html

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

I doubt it's a problem. Gymnastics is going to be watched by those who tend to watch it anyhow and NBC can just shift the focus on Biles from "how good is she" to "poor Simone" or something like that. I'm sure those episodes are being spliced together as we speak. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if the attention goes up because she's not competing...at least today.
                          With Simone gone, the competition is a free-for-all. It could come down to Rebeca Andrade (the top remaining qualifier) and Sunisa Lee (next in qualifying), with the Russians to follow.

Nine years ago, NBC was promoting Jordyn Wieber as the one who would keep the U.S. individual AA streak alive, until she ran into trouble in qualifying in London. Nobody saw Gabrielle Douglas coming to seize the moment and win it all. Even I was shocked when I saw the news on the ABC ticker in Times Square after getting off work. I had to read the ticker again to make sure it was for the individual all-around final.

So, it may yet be Suni's time this time around.
                          Last edited by CookyMonzta; 07-29-2021, 04:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post

With Simone gone, the competition is a free-for-all. It could come down to Rebeca Andrade (the top remaining qualifier) and Sunisa Lee (next in qualifying), with the Russians to follow.

Nine years ago, NBC was promoting Jordyn Wieber as the one who would keep the U.S. individual AA streak alive, until she ran into trouble in qualifying in London. Nobody saw Gabrielle Douglas coming to seize the moment and win it all. Even I was shocked when I saw the news on the ABC ticker in Times Square after getting off work. I had to read the ticker again to make sure it was for the individual all-around final.

So, it may yet be Suni's time this time around.
                            QED. Sunisa Lee just won. 🥇 It's at Yahoo's sports page. U.S. keeps its streak going with 5 in a row.
                            Last edited by CookyMonzta; 07-29-2021, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• And here is a name that just popped in my head, after EONS of dormancy, which will perfectly explain why a split-second moment of vertigo (aka, the "twisties") is so dangerous and why Simone Biles pulled out of the team competition: Sang Lan. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sang_Lan

Comment

• Japan set to extend coronavirus state of emergency in Tokyo, casting shadow over Olympics

Experts warned of a deepening crisis that they said could quickly overwhelm the health-care system if more stringent measures are not imposed. They cited skyrocketing hospitalizations and the rate of infection among younger people.

“The greatest danger now is that the severity of the current situation isn’t being communicated to the public,” Japan’s top medical adviser, Shigeru Omi, told a parliamentary panel Thursday.

“If that sense of urgency isn’t conveyed sufficiently, the virus will spread further and the burden on the health-care system will become increasingly severe,” he said.

“We think the medical system will collapse if this spread of infection continues,” the head of the medical association, Toshio Nakagawa, said in a televised address Thursday. “We have to take all the measures to avoid the explosion of infection.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...rus-emergency/

Comment

Working...
                                X