Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Anyways....I think January will give us a fair better outlook on whether Tokyo happens next year.
    I do think they will hold something. How much it varies from the past remains to be seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
      The IOC suits tend to suffer from King Canute syndrome.
      According to Wikipedia, the King Canute "trying to stop the tide" legend was misinterpreted.

In the story, Canute demonstrates to his flattering courtiers that he has no control over the elements (the incoming tide), explaining that secular power is vain compared to the supreme power of God. The episode is frequently alluded to in contexts where the futility of "trying to stop the tide" of an inexorable event is pointed out, but usually misrepresenting Canute as believing he had supernatural powers, when Huntingdon's story in fact relates the opposite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Canute_and_the_tide

Comment

• all of which does nothing to counter the popular imagery, which is what I was appropriately invoking

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
          all of which does nothing to counter the popular imagery, which is what I was appropriately invoking
          Not that a poll is required to determine whether King Canute (Knud to Danes, by the way) and the Tides story resonates with the vast majority of folks around here, I'll admit that I had no idea what the two of you were talking about, even though I'm married to a Dane and have the poster below hanging in my house that includes Canute the Great (who I'd heard of, just not the Tides story). And then in looking into it, the Canute/Tides story has as much veracity as George Washington/cherry tree story. In my opinion, which has been wrong before (but not all that often!), Canute & the tides story is no Don Quixote tilting at windmills in the knowledgebase of most Americans, although it has just as much truth in it.

canute the great.jpg
          Last edited by bad hammy; 09-08-2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            Wow, that's quite the commitment. I'd feel a little more confident if that were an entire IOC dictum.
            Whether the Games go ahead is not up to the IOC. It is up to the Japanese Government. Ultimately, the IOC has no say.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Whether the Games go ahead is not up to the IOC. It is up to the Japanese Government. Ultimately, the IOC has no say.
              And here's a quote from the Olympics Minister, saying the Olympics must go ahead at any cost:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/54068437

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

And here's a quote from the Olympics Minister, saying the Olympics must go ahead at any cost:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/54068437
                More delusional than anything else. They were saying stuff like that back in February and March about this year. Especially the Olympics ministers. I think they are trying to convince the new PM more than reality.

We will know far more in January.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                  the Olympics must go ahead at any cost:
                  Talk about oblivious! Cost includes human lives.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Talk about oblivious! Cost includes human lives.
                    When only 25% of the Japanese even want the Olympics next year who are they trying to fool with this talk of at any cost.

Comment

• Meanwhile.....in the FT today.

Cost risk of hosting Olympics similar to a war, study warns

LEO LEWIS — TOKYO MURAD AHMED — LONDON

Cities considering hosting the Olympic Games should compare the financial risk with models applied to natural disasters, pandemics and war, a team of Oxford university researchers have warned.

The team accuses the International Olympic Committee of playing down what they argue are the unavoidable perils of big cost overruns. Their study suggests would-be hosts should temper their ambitions by assuming their budgets for the games could rise threefold.

The IOC and organisers of the Tokyo 2020 games are wrestling with the logistics of holding a postponed Olympics, which the researchers calculate are the most expensive summer games ever. The Tokyo bid originally foresaw a $7.3bn price tag, but Japan’s national auditor has said the final cost may be more than three times that.

According to the researchers, the cost overrun for the Rio summer Olympics in 2016 was 352 per cent, while for London 2012 it was 76 per cent. The average overrun for both summer and winter games since 1960, they calculated, was 172 per cent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

More delusional than anything else. They were saying stuff like that back in February and March about this year. Especially the Olympics ministers. I think they are trying to convince the new PM more than reality.
                        I don't think they're delusional. I think they're saying what they have to say if they have any chance at all of making this happen. And I don't think it's just the new PM that they're trying to convince. I think they're trying to convince sponsors and advertisers and potential sponsors and advertising who are in the process of finalizing their 2021 marketing budgets now to include money for the Olympics, rather than other events. There may be other pressure to reduce marketing budgets and having the biggie out there might enable the marketers to resist that pressure.

Comment

• Again January will be a much better time to discuss all this.

Comment

• Of course, we'll all know more about the prospects in January. My point was that there are certain corporate decisions that have to be made now, before the new year begins, and it's understandable that the Tokyo people are doing what they have to do and saying what the have to say to influence those decisions.

Comment

• All this happy talk has one purpose in mind...

Organizers, IOC trying to remove doubts over Tokyo Olympics

AP
                              TOKYO (AP) — The International Olympic Committee and Japanese organizers are trying to convince the public that the postponed Tokyo Olympics will take place next year despite the COVID-19 pandemic.

Tokyo organizing committee CEO T oshiro Muto said last week that the games could go ahead without a vaccine. This week John Coates, the IOC member who oversees the Tokyo Olympics, said the games would happen despite the pandemic.

Coates is to appear Wednesday in a virtual meeting with the IOC executive board. He is expected to give an upbeat assessment of Tokyo's prospects.

Several recent public opinion polls have shown skepticism from the Japanese public and the business community that the games can go on — or should go on.

The IOC and local organizers have has been saying since the postponement five months ago that the games will open on July 23, 2021. They were taking the same approach in March, just weeks before the Olympics were postponed.

Organizers and the IOC have given few details of how 11,000 Olympic athletes and 4,400 Paralympians will be safe in Tokyo, along with thousands of staff members, and games and technical officials.

Details are not expected until later in the year, or into early 2021.

Separately on Tuesday, Olympic Minister Seiko Hashimoto said at a news conference the games must go on.

“I feel we have to hold them no matter what,” the Sankei News reported her as saying.

Organizers have yet to say what the one-year postponement will cost or who will pay — with estimates in the billions of dollars. The University of Oxford is releasing a study this week that shows the Tokyo Olympics are the most expensive in history, examining records since 1960.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...pics/42394955/

Comment

• Bach doesn't rule out quarantines for Tokyo athletes.

story now linked on home page

Comment

Working...
                                X