Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    Originally posted by xw View Post
    Two athletes became the first to test positive for the coronavirus in the Tokyo Olympic Village, officials said Sunday, Reuters reports.
    These Games are going to be one Bachbuster show. Yes, to top it all off, IOC president Thomass Bach very recently said "Zero chance of any spread of Covid" because of the Olympics. What a disgrace to sport. Where's the high priest of Q Anon when you need her? She could hardly do worse.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by jc203 View Post
    So it's no spectators.
    A made for TV event, for me, loses the important element of the OGs.
    The theme of the games per se is the coming together of all kinds of people (not just athletes) from all over the world mixing together all over a great city in common cause. And not only in the specific venues.
    For example, in MontrealI saw a lot of great competitions between iconic figures in multiple sports but my most vivid memory was seeing Randy Williams in a jammed subway station fresh from the stadium and still in USA sweats with his silver medal hanging from his neck.
    The crowds parted before him, everyone calling out congratulations... I'm sure most people had no idea who he was or even what sport he participated in, but the positive energy shared by strangers was universal.
    My British Olympic friends think the same....

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by jc203 View Post
    The theme of the games per se is the coming together of all kinds of people from all over the world mixing together all over a great city.
    Suffice to say, that is an obsolete model.

Leave a comment:

• jc203
    replied
    So it's no spectators.
    A made for TV event, for me, loses the important element of the OGs.
    The theme of the games per se is the coming together of all kinds of people (not just athletes) from all over the world mixing together all over a great city in common cause. And not only in the specific venues.
    For example, in MontrealI saw a lot of great competitions between iconic figures in multiple sports but my most vivid memory was seeing Randy Williams in a jammed subway station fresh from the stadium and still in USA sweats with his silver medal hanging from his neck.
    The crowds parted before him, everyone calling out congratulations... I'm sure most people had no idea who he was or even what sport he participated in, but the positive energy shared by strangers was universal.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Meanwhile....

Six Team GB athletes forced to isolate after Covid scare before Olympics
    • Preparations for Tokyo are plunged into chaos
    • South Africa footballers quarantined after positive tests

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...lympic-village

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

If Japan's refugee system is in accordance with the UN Refugee Convention, a good many of them will succeed
    In 2019, 10,375 applied for Refugee status. However, only 44 people were accepted.

Refugees in Japan | Japan Association for Refugees (JAR)

If you are an Ethiopian from Tigray region, you might have a chance.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    A troubled sequel: Tokyo’s bid to remake classic 1964 Olympics set to disappoint

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-tokyo-legacy/

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Meanwhile...

Covid-Related Problems Mount as Athletes and Officials Arrive for Tokyo Olympics

The challenge of staging the world’s biggest sporting event during a pandemic is becoming clear as a stream of athletes and others test positive for the virus after entering Japan

The long-feared possibility that the Covid-19 pandemic could disrupt the Tokyo Olympics is rapidly emerging as a reality, as Games organizers scramble to deal with a rising load of athletes and officials who are testing positive upon arrival in Japan.

The stream of positive cases is quickly demonstrating how difficult it will be to stage one of the world’s largest events during a global pandemic. Tens of thousands of participants from more than 200 countries are entering a country where the vaccination rate of the local population remains low and the more-contagious Delta variant is spreading.

Officials have a dilemma that will run throughout the Games. The Japanese public is deeply wary of the Olympics, fearing an outbreak that will spill into the general population. So they are deploying strict rules to limit the risk—which could block athletes from participating if they become ensnared in Covid protocols.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tokyo-o...ls-11626626865

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Since I haven't seen one in a decade I stand corrected. I thought they went with green header ink on white paper at one point before I stopped subscribing.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
    When was the last time the SF Chron printed the Sporting Green on green paper?
    for the front page (and wraparound) I don't believe they've ever stopped

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    have no idea if this is an original idea, but the local fishwrap came up with a good visual on the rings
    When was the last time the SF Chron printed the Sporting Green on green paper?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Unknown.jpeg have no idea if this is an original idea, but the local fishwrap came up with a good visual on the rings

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Meanwhile...

Olympics staffer arrested for allegedly raping woman at stadium

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...t-stadium.html

Leave a comment:

• xw
    replied
    Two athletes became the first to test positive for the coronavirus in the Tokyo Olympic Village, officials said Sunday, Reuters reports.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

How many will be accepted is the real question....none.

Unvaccinated athletes running around Japan....sounds great.
    If Japan's refugee system is in accordance with the UN Refugee Convention, a good many of them will succeed

Leave a comment:

Working...
X