Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tokyo Olympics ... [no foreign fans] [no fans period]

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


  • So much for the athletes should have priority argument...

    Some have pointed to the unfairness of players being able to travel and train in Melbourne while residents in other states need to apply for a permit in order to cross the internal border to Victoria. Those people who have been to "red zones" over the past 14 days -- including Victoria residents -- cannot reenter the state.

    There are also calls to prioritize the more than 38,000 Australians who remain stuck overseas, unable to return in part due to limits on daily international arrivals.

    Seeing the number of players and officials chartering flights into the country is likely to fuel the anger and desperation of many Australians abroad who have been waiting for months to return, many with no jobs or housing and facing financial hardships.

    Comment


    • Some of these tennis players have the self-entitlement egos of over paid spoilt brats who think that being a tennis player somehow gives them the right to have privileges ahead of everyone else. I am guessing they attended the same school of civics and sporting rights as Charles Barkley.

      Comment


      • An interesting viewpoint from one of my Masters FB groups. One of the group members insists that the Japanese Government have no choice but to hold the Games, if the IOC orders them to do so.

        Comment


        • I am sure that would go down well...does he think Bach is MacArthur?...Bach orders Japan to have the Olympics...

          It seems to me that to run something like the Olympics would necessitate the cooperation of the local people...

          I wouldn't place much faith in what I heard on FB.
          Last edited by Conor Dary; 01-20-2021, 10:57 PM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
            I am sure that would go down well...does he think Bach is MacArthur?...Bach orders Japan to have the Olympics...

            It seems to me that to run something like the Olympics would necessitate the cooperation of the local people...

            I wouldn't place much faith in what I heard on FB.
            I wouldn't, either. But you can look at the contract and judge for yourself. (Article 66 on page 72.)

            https://www.2020games.metro.tokyo.lg...ontract-EN.pdf

            Comment


            • Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
              I wouldn't, either. But you can look at the contract and judge for yourself. (Article 66 on page 72.)

              https://www.2020games.metro.tokyo.lg...ontract-EN.pdf
              I'm not a lawyer, but my reading of Article 66 gives the IOC the right to terminate the contract, but not to force the Organizing Committee to put on the Games.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

                I'm not a lawyer, but my reading of Article 66 gives the IOC the right to terminate the contract, but not to force the Organizing Committee to put on the Games.
                Japan, if you hadn't noticed, is a sovereign nation. If the Japanese Government decides to cancel the Games, there is sweet diddly nothing that the IOC can do about it.

                The contract means zip nothing

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                  Japan, if you hadn't noticed, is a sovereign nation. If the Japanese Government decides to cancel the Games, there is sweet diddly nothing that the IOC can do about it.
                  The contract means zip nothing
                  Under these Covid circumstances that must be true, but under normal circumstances, the IOC would sue them into the Stone Ages, yes?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Under these Covid circumstances that must be true, but under normal circumstances, the IOC would sue them into the Stone Ages, yes?
                    Really?
                    In what court?
                    And who would make them pay?

                    A sovereign nation can change their laws whenever they feel like it, and make them retrospective if they want

                    Comment


                    • I suppose it depends on whether or not a country/city government signed legally binding contracts with the IOC

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by gh View Post
                        I suppose it depends on whether or not a country/city government signed legally binding contracts with the IOC
                        And also what those contracts say.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by tandfman View Post

                          And also what those contracts say.
                          Art. 87. says:
                          The contract is governed by the Swiss law.
                          CAS has the primary jurisdiction.
                          In case CAS denies its competence, then the Swiss court has the jurisdiction.
                          The City (Tokyo), NOC and OCOC (but not IOC) waive all kind of immunity. (IOC's immunity is defined in Art. 9)

                          Art. 66 defines the situation under which IOC could cancel the Games, nowhere in the contract there is a provision for the cancellation by the host city. This means, if the host city unilaterally declares cancellation, it is a breach of contract, and the city could be sued by IOC to CAS, and then possibly to the Swiss court. The covid situation can be brought up as a mitigating factor during the trial, but it would be wiser for Tokyo to go to arbitration. Permanent Court of Arbitration has the jurisdiction over cases like this. (Government in one country v. private entity in another country.) By the way, it is the city of Tokyo, not the government of Japan who signed the agreement. (Look at the signature at the end of the contract.)

                          Comment


                          • Olympic athletes and officials ponder vaccine dilemma as Tokyo Games loom



                            “We fully support the national rollout strategy as articulated by the government,” said Dr David Hughes, chief medical officer at the Australian Institute of Sport and the chief doctor to the Australian Olympic team. “The vaccine has to go first to those that are most vulnerable. While of course it would be preferable to have the Australian Olympic team vaccinated before the Olympics, at this stage all our plans are based on the assumption that it is unlikely we will have the team vaccinated prior to Tokyo.”

                            https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...kyo-games-loom

                            Comment


                            • What would the IOC actually sue for....lost of broadcast income? Kind of a drop in the bucket in a reeling economy....Japan last summer had a stimulus of $1trillion+...

                              Go ahead and sue....


                              The IOC made more than $4 billion in revenue in the last four-year Olympic cycle from broadcast rights.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                                What would the IOC actually sue for....lost of broadcast income? Kind of a drop in the bucket in a reeling economy....Japan last summer had a stimulus of $1trillion+...

                                Go ahead and sue....


                                The IOC made more than $4 billion in revenue in the last four-year Olympic cycle from broadcast rights.
                                Tokyo 2020 was to be the last Games to be covered by the current cycle of NBC-IOC contract, and NBC was supposed to pay about $1.4B for that. (This might have been already reduced due to the postponement.) Eurosports, BBC CCTV and Japan Consortium are the other big ones, and the total is probably around $3B. (The full list is here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_broadcasters ) IOC has an event cancellation insurance. But you would not want to use it unless you have to ( just like you would not want to use your collision coverage for an accident caused by another driver). The Organizing Committee also has a cancellation insurance, but they have a lot of expenses other than the liability to IOC.

                                And here is the latest from Thomas Bach.

                                https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...scheduled.html

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X