Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

I'll keep that in mind....I appreciate the kind thoughts...
    Conor - when everyone on this board is sick of your act, maybe its time to go look in the mirror

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Conor - when everyone on this board is sick of your act, maybe its time to go look in the mirror
      Bambam

It is not nice when you are obviously trying to break Conor's mirror 😂😂😂😂

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Lol

Such animosity...Sad!
        Last edited by Conor Dary; 01-24-2021, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          But a cancellation would be understandable: The Olympics are the least practical event to hold during a pandemic. Considering the circumstances, the notion that tens of thousands of people from all over the globe would gather in one place for two weeks before flying back to their respective home nations is a recipe for disaster. There is nothing remotely similar in scale, which gets at a larger point: The Olympics are the least practical event to hold during the pandemic because they are the least practical event to hold in general.
          While I understand all this. it will still piss me off if the Olympics are cancelled and all the other sporting events are allowed to proceed. It's like being told that the Olympics are the least important sporting events, and the Olympic athletes are the least deserving athletes in the entire world.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
            While I understand all this. it will still piss me off if the Olympics are cancelled and all the other sporting events are allowed to proceed. It's like being told that the Olympics are the least important sporting events, and the Olympic athletes are the least deserving athletes in the entire world.
            No, not all. x

It's like telling you that the Japanese quite sendibly don't want to have 30,000 plus athletes , officials and support staff coming from more than 100 countries where covid is out of control.
            Last edited by Tuariki; 01-25-2021, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
              no, it's like being told that a 50-person gathering is a much worse idea than a 4-person gathering, at this moment

Comment

• I wonder if any consideration has been given to spreading the events in Tokyo out over, say 6 months. This might make the logistics of virus control easier, as there would be fewer athletes, officials, spectators, etc. to deal with at any one time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alan Sigmon View Post
                  I wonder if any consideration has been given to spreading the events in Tokyo out over, say 6 months. This might make the logistics of virus control easier, as there would be fewer athletes, officials, spectators, etc. to deal with at any one time.
                  i suspect objections from TV would kill any such plan, as promising as it sounds

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                    i suspect objections from TV would kill any such plan, as promising as it sounds
                    Going against football or basketball would be difficult.

Comment

• Originally posted by xw View Post

no, it's like being told that a 50-person gathering is a much worse idea than a 4-person gathering, at this moment
                      Which is why I wrote "WHILE I UNDERSTAND ALL THIS" in my post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alan Sigmon View Post
                        I wonder if any consideration has been given to spreading the events in Tokyo out over, say 6 months. This might make the logistics of virus control easier, as there would be fewer athletes, officials, spectators, etc. to deal with at any one time.
                        Six months makes no sense but I imagine that television would accept and even like extending the Olympic calendar through August up to the start of football.

Comment

• Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post

Six months makes no sense but I imagine that television would accept and even like extending the Olympic calendar through August up to the start of football.
                          I doubt those who'd watch will. They are so accustomed to 2 weeks of competition bookended by opening and closing ceremonies that spreading it out won't keep their interest. At least in the US.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                            I doubt those who'd watch will. They are so accustomed to 2 weeks of competition bookended by opening and closing ceremonies that spreading it out won't keep their interest. At least in the US.
                            I don't know. I don't like it all crammed in together. 6 weeks of Olympics would work for me.

Comment

• Nope. Even a two week Olympics is long enough. I spent a month in Atlanta in summer 1996 for Trials and Games. I did not have a job. I don't know how those who did managed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                Going against football or basketball would be difficult.
                                If the choices are:

1. Total cancellation.
                                2. The entire thing moved to October (suggested previously on this thread).
                                3. 6-8 weeks stretched over July to September.

Which one would NBC prefer? They won't have to pay a penny in case of #1. They will probably negotiate a reduced payment for #2 or #3. From their perspective, #3 is probably the best option, if Gymnastics, Swimming & Diving and Track & Field can take place during the first 2-3 weeks. 99% of the TV viewers are not interested in anything else, and those sports can be seen on the Olympic Channel, with a brief highlight show on main channel. It may actually give more exposure to other sports, because they will not be crowded out by the big three.

For historical reference, 1908 London games lasted for 187 days. Eight week Olympics will be much shorter than that.

Comment

Working...
                                X