Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

Not on a worldwide basis.
    But this was about US tv, and i would assume Americans watch more baseball than athletics during Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner View Post

But this was about US tv, and i would assume Americans watch more baseball than athletics during Olympics.
      I am not sure about that....the basketball games are popular....but I don't think the baseball games are terribly popular...the sport was dropped and no one seemed to care....including the players...the Olympics are during the regular season.

Athletics is still a big draw....considering how much NBC promoted it....

Comment

Didn't know if this would be the appropriate thread for this and feel free to move it to a better candidate. CAS doesn't agree with Taplin's defense:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...-bralon-taplin

Comment

Isn't baseball going to be more popular than the others too? Or is the US not sending a Dreamteam for that?
          Based on previous Olympics, no.

In 1992 and 1996, only amateurs were allowed, and Cuba went undefeated to win both.

In 2000, professionals became eligible. MLB refused to release their players, but Tommy Lasorda was able to take a bunch of college and minor leaguers, named just two weeks ahead of the games, and, in a big upset, win the gold. There was a good segment in the film on the Sydney Olympics.

In 2004 and 2008, MLB continued to refuse releasing players, and the U.S. had one bronze to show for it.

There are spots for only six teams in the return of baseball to the Olympics. The U.S. will have to knock Cuba out of a tournament to even get there.
          Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

The USA team usually has an ex-major leaguer or two who join the team before they retire. Not necessarily all-stars but solid players.
            Last edited by Halfmiler2; 05-20-2020, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Isn't baseball going to be more popular than the others too? Or is the US not sending a Dreamteam for that?
              For one, major league baseball is treading water at best when it comes to popularity in the US. And while I've been a baseball fan all my life, nothing about baseball in the Olympics is interesting to me. If I have extra time after watching T&F I'll spend it on gymnastics and swimming, not OG baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post

For one, major league baseball is treading water at best when it comes to popularity in the US. And while I've been a baseball fan all my life, nothing about baseball in the Olympics is interesting to me. If I have extra time after watching T&F I'll spend it on gymnastics and swimming, not OG baseball.
                I grew up a huge baseball fan....and I've never seen an inning of Olympic baseball...

Comment

I actually went to an Olympic Baseball Game in 1996 at old Fulton County Stadium which was next to Olympic Stadium. It was torn down after the Olympics and the Braves moved to what had been Olympic Stadium but converted to Ted Turner Field.

It was the off day from Track & Field and my Officials Credential could get me in most other sports to spectate. I was only turned down at weightlifting, but saw badminton, table tennis, and team handball in addition to baseball.

The USA baseball games packed the stadium but I saw Nicaragua versus the Netherlands and the game drew maybe 10,000 spectators. The Netherlands roster had many players from the Netherlands Antilles but still got beat badly.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

I grew up a huge baseball fan....and I've never seen an inning of Olympic baseball...
                    I remain a big baseball fan and have never seen an inning of Olympic baseball. I don't even watch the World Cup or whatever it's called every couple of years during Spring Training.

Comment

The minimum standard for having your sport in the Olympics should be that the Gold Medal is the ultimate award in your sport.

Soccer has a U23 tournament to avoid competing with their World Cup.

No golfer would put the Gold ahead of winning a major.

No baseball player would put a Gold ahead of a World Series ring.

No cyclist would put a Gold ahead of a Grand Tour win.

The same applies to boxing, and maybe other sports. They should all stay home.

Athletics, swimming, gymnastics, and a number of lesser sports qualify.

As far as baseball goes, I have been a Dodger fan from 1955, and have the LAT sports pages from when they announced their move to LA, and their opening day in the Coliseum a year later. We had Walt Alston for 20 years, then Tommy Lasorda for 20 more. Lasorda, a Dodger employee since 1949, is one of my favorites in all sports.

The point is that until 2020, I did not know that Lasorda had led us to a Gold in 2000. For me, that tells me where Olympic baseball ranks.

Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Golf, tennis, yachting! Get rid of the lot....

I remember having a conservation about the Olympics vs World Championships with the late, great statistician, and announcer, Scott Davis. He told me he didn't really care for the Olympics because they were like a three ring circus, with so many sports going on at the same time. He compared the Olympics to a wacky sports show on TV back in the 1970's called "Almost Anything Goes". In his mind, there was no comparison when it came to Olympics vs World Championships. I agree with him 100%. But I still would rather have an Olympic Gold medal over a WC Gold.
                        Last edited by TWalsh; 05-20-2020, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Scott was a friend of mine and we often had this same Olympics vs. World Championships conversation. I agree that the WC are easier to attend because they are usually cheaper than the Olympics and you don't have all those other sports so it is less crowded that the Olympics. Scott said that most athletes thought a gold medal at the World Championships to be more prestigious than an Olympic gold medal. I disagree with that. Of course there is no easy way to prove it, but I feel most athletes would take an Olympic gold medal over a World Championship gold medal.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

I remain a big baseball fan and have never seen an inning of Olympic baseball. I don't even watch the World Cup or whatever it's called every couple of years during Spring Training.
                            Got you beat. I saw 1 inning of Olympic baseball - in Sydney. I don't know why I wandered into the stadium, but I remember it was fairly close to the MPC so maybe coming or going there.

Comment

Meanwhile...in the Financial Times...

Olympics in doubt without travel deal, says Tokyo governor

The governor of Tokyo has questioned whether the Olympics can go ahead next year without an international deal on travel and quarantine. She has also called for possible cuts to the opening and closing ceremonies.

Yuriko Koike said freedom for athletes and supporters to visit Japan was a precondition for holding Tokyo 2021.
                              Her remarks show how the Tokyo Olympics remain in jeopardy despite a one-year postponement, amid concerns about a second wave of Covid-19. In April, a spokesman for the Tokyo Olympics told reporters there was “no plan B” for any further delay.

“A basic precondition for the Olympics is that the people of the world can come,” Ms Koike told the Financial Times.

At present, foreigners who have visited 111 different countries are banned from entry to Japan. Without an international deal to let athletes and spectators from competing nations attend, some events would lack their strongest competitors or most passionate fans.

Asked whether the Tokyo Olympics were certain to go ahead, Ms Koike would say only that they were “a hope” in dark times, and that she wanted to continue with preparations.

Comment

Half of Tokyo residents oppose Olympics in 2021: poll

Just over half of Tokyo's residents don't think the postponed 2020 Olympics should be held next year, backing either a further delay or outright cancellation because of fears over the coronavirus, according to a poll published Monday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/half-toky...8558--oly.html

Comment

Working...
                                X