Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Meanwhile....Washington Post editorial....

Opinion: Can the world’s democracies really take part in the Beijing Olympics — while genocide is taking place?

Why not? They already did once.

And, if that is a disqualifier they're going to need to find a new host for 2028...
    There are no strings on me

Comment

• Meanwhile.....

Japan begins COVID-19 vaccinations as Tokyo Olympics draw closer

Dr. Akira Kano of Fujimino Emergency Hospital in the town of Miyoshi-machi in Saitama prefecture, about 20 miles northwest of downtown Tokyo, told ABC News that his hospital has treated about 1% of Japan's confirmed COVID-19 cases. The physician said he foresees the general population not having access to COVID-19 vaccines until August.

"It’s going to be totally impossible to reach herd immunity by the time the Olympics begins," Kano said. "I don’t think one single person believes that can happen."

"Historically, the relatively high incidence of aseptic meningitis that was observed following receipt of the MMR vaccine in children was highlighted by major news outlets in the 1990s and bred vaccine hesitancy," Doi said. "More recently, non-specific symptoms that occurred among teens after receipt of the HPV vaccine were heavily reported by the media as if they were caused by vaccination."

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/japan-begi...191527106.html

Comment

• Tokyo 2020: Japan's Olympics minister in line to lead committee

Japan’s Olympics minister, Seiko Hashimoto, is in line to lead the Tokyo 2020 organising committee, just over five months before the delayed Games are due to open, according to media reports.

The committee, which is already battling public opposition to the Olympics because of the Covid-19 pandemic, was forced to search for a new president after its previous head, Yoshiro Mori, resigned last week after making derogatory remarks about women.

Days after Mori stepped down, preparations for the Games suffered a further blow on Wednesday when a local governor said his prefecture was considering withdrawing from the torch relay, which is due to begin late next month.

Tatsuya Maruyama, the governor of Shimane prefecture, said the relay should be reconsidered because of the virus. “Should the present conditions continue, I think holding the Olympics should be avoided,” he told reporters. “But given this situation where those who were meant to create an environment where we could safely enjoy the Olympics have not done what they need to do … I can’t help but say that it would be hard for Shimane to contribute to the hosting of the Olympic torch relay.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...lead-committee

Comment

• Don't be silent: How a 22-year-old woman helped bring down the Tokyo Olympics chief

When a 22-year-old Japanese college student launched an online campaign against the powerful Tokyo Olympics chief and the sexist remarks he made, she was not sure it would go very far.

https://sports.yahoo.com/dont-silent...090825873.html

Comment

• New Tokyo Olympics chief acknowledges 'great public concern' over Covid

On Thursday, a Reuters poll showed that nearly two-thirds of Japanese firms opposed holding the Games as planned, in another sign that anti-Olympic sentiment is hardening in the host nation. It found that 36% of companies wanted a second postponement and 29% wanted cancellation. The remaining 35% wanted the Games to go ahead.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...oto-sexism-row
            Last edited by Conor Dary; 02-18-2021, 08:50 PM.

Comment

opposed holding the Games as planned
              So don't hold them 'as planned'. Sell them as a 'new and improved' Games, designed to beat Covid!

Comment

• I'm guessing USATF has not put out any OT updates, like what they are thinking if there happens to be an OG and therefore an OT....spectators, no spectators, 50% capacity, only spectators who can show their "papers" (vaccine card) etc. I haven't seen anything official, nor any rumors. It's four months from today.....

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                  I'm guessing USATF has not put out any OT updates, like what they are thinking if there happens to be an OG and therefore an OT....spectators, no spectators, 50% capacity, only spectators who can show their "papers" (vaccine card) etc. I haven't seen anything official, nor any rumors. It's four months from today.....
                  Everyone is looking over their shoulders at what everyone else in doing.
                  The D1 Conferences in mid-May will see what's going on at the collegiate level and then let that help dictate the final protocols for Regionals and then the Championships.
                  USATF will have to make decisions concurrently, cuz the info has to be disseminated pretty early, relatively speaking.
                  No one wants to be criticized for not being cautious enough, so they'll all err on the side of caution, i.e., vaccines and few spectators.
                  Early-April deadline for all this, or is that already too late?

Comment

I'm guessing USATF has not put out any OT updates, like what they are thinking if there happens to be an OG and therefore an OT....spectators, no spectators, 50% capacity, only spectators who can show their "papers" (vaccine card) etc. I haven't seen anything official, nor any rumors. It's four months from today.....
                    No news here at all....of course no Olympics no Trials....

But the vaccine roll out has been very slow in Oregon... so Trials or not it is going to be at least couple of months to see what hope there is of anything at Hayward this year, let alone spectators etc. So the lack of news is not surprising at all.
                    Last edited by Conor Dary; 02-18-2021, 11:16 PM.

Comment

since USATF doesn't' have the bottom-line say on spectators (state of Oregon does), why would they be saying anything at this point?

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post

since USATF doesn't' have the bottom-line say on spectators (state of Oregon does), why would they be saying anything at this point?
                        With the slow roll out of vaccines plus Oregon not really planning to open schools until fall and being pretty conservative in reopening anything I wouldn't plan on spectators this summer at Hayward.

Oregon Is Vaccinating Teachers. It Might Not Be Enough to Reopen Schools.

Oregon is a case study in how Pacific Coast cities are lagging the country in resuming in-person teaching.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/17/u...est-coast.html

Comment

With the slow roll out of vaccines plus Oregon not really planning to open schools until fall and being pretty conservative in reopening anything I wouldn't plan on spectators this summer at Hayward.

Oregon Is Vaccinating Teachers. It Might Not Be Enough to Reopen Schools.

Oregon is a case study in how Pacific Coast cities are lagging the country in resuming in-person teaching.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/17/u...est-coast.html
                          Talk about night and day from what we have here in Florida.....and may explain a bit what gets posted here.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Talk about night and day from what we have here in Florida.....and may explain a bit what gets posted here.
                            Also why Florida has 2.5 times the per capita death rate of Oregon...

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...te-july-1.html

Comment

• If the goal is zero then I guess.

Comment

Also why Florida has 2.5 times the per capita death rate of Oregon...

More likely the fact Florida is #1 in 65/over population(as a percentage), while Oregon is #12.
                                There are no strings on me

Comment

Working...
                                X