Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tokyo Olympics ... [no foreign fans] [no fans period]

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by gh View Post

    since USATF doesn't' have the bottom-line say on spectators (state of Oregon does), why would they be saying anything at this point?
    Wait, isn't Uncle Phil in charge of all that? :-)

    With the OT in normal times bringing some 200,000 tourist person-days to Oregon, I would suspect Tracktown USA has at least a small piece of the ear of the Oregon state health officials. Before long, it will be time for states to consider opening up specific things....restaurant dining, sporting events, theatre and theaters...to people who can show proof of immunization or prior infection, though we know that will go over like a lead balloon with a lot of different people/groups.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by DrJay View Post

      Wait, isn't Uncle Phil in charge of all that? :-)

      With the OT in normal times bringing some 200,000 tourist person-days to Oregon, I would suspect Tracktown USA has at least a small piece of the ear of the Oregon state health officials. Before long, it will be time for states to consider opening up specific things....restaurant dining, sporting events, theatre and theaters...to people who can show proof of immunization or prior infection, though we know that will go over like a lead balloon with a lot of different people/groups.
      It is going to be awhile before things open up here to anywhere near normal. The governor has been very cautious and most are fine with that, at least in the Willamette Valley.

      The state is just now vaccinating the over 75 group.

      Lane County is still in the extreme risk group.

      https://www.kgw.com/mobile/article/n...d-ff4885b5668d
      Last edited by Conor Dary; 02-19-2021, 06:56 PM.

      Comment


      • Japan finds new COVID-19 strain, while immigration centre reports infections

        TOKYO, Feb 19 (Reuters) - Japan confirmed a new variant of COVID-19, and an infection cluster emerged at a Tokyo immigration facility, presenting new challenges as the country tries to overcome a third wave of the pandemic.

        The new variant has been found in 91 cases in the Kanto area of eastern Japan and in 2 cases at airports, Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato told reporters on Friday. The government is raising surveillance against mutant varieties as they may be more resistant to vaccines, which Japan started to distribute this week.

        "It may be more contagious than conventional strains, and if it continues to spread domestically, it could lead to a rapid rise in cases," Kato said.

        https://news.trust.org/item/20210219031629-aeqnu/

        Comment


        • This new E484K variant would seem likely to be the nail in the coffin for Tokyo 2021

          Comment


          • So I do want all the best athletes at Championship events, but today's decision to allow the Russians in the OG (as Committee reps) means that the cheaters won.

            Comment


            • I think it's still up to the individual sport federations (like World Athletics) to make their own decisions. WA could possibly make Russians' participation require that WA grant them Authorized Neutral Athlete status. Would the IOC allow those ANA's to wear those ROC uniforms?

              Comment


              • This report (also on Todays' Top Headlines) could be the lifeline that Tokyo 2021 needs.

                https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKBN2AJ1XL

                However, I believe that if the G7 are intent in supporting and helping the Games to go ahead, then those countries need to pitch in and assist Japan,. wherever possible, to create the safest possible environment.

                1. Perhaps agreeing to divert some of their vaccine supplies to Japan?

                2. Perhaps giving athletes priority for vaccination - likely to cause an outcry in some countries

                3. Perhaps establishing outside of Japan Olympic covid-19 transit hubs for athletes and officials to be tested and, if necessary, vaccinated. The reason for this is because the reality is that you cannot trust some countries and they could well lie on behalf of possible positive or non-vaccinated athletes, if those athletes were likely medalists

                Comment


                • I'm envisioning the world's worst summer job; urine sampler at the Olympics.

                  Heat and humidity in Tokyo are both at 90, and you have to wear a hazmat suit all day because of the requirement of up-close-and-personal lack of distancing while visually confirming the athlete is passing a proper sample.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                    This report (also on Todays' Top Headlines) could be the lifeline that Tokyo 2021 needs.

                    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKBN2AJ1XL

                    However, I believe that if the G7 are intent in supporting and helping the Games to go ahead, then those countries need to pitch in and assist Japan,. wherever possible, to create the safest possible environment.

                    1. Perhaps agreeing to divert some of their vaccine supplies to Japan?

                    2. Perhaps giving athletes priority for vaccination - likely to cause an outcry in some countries

                    3. Perhaps establishing outside of Japan Olympic covid-19 transit hubs for athletes and officials to be tested and, if necessary, vaccinated. The reason for this is because the reality is that you cannot trust some countries and they could well lie on behalf of possible positive or non-vaccinated athletes, if those athletes were likely medalists
                    Nice to hear but not surprising....why would the EU care one way or the other about the Olympics in Japan....

                    With all of the problems with vaccine supply in Europe and the rest of the world I don't see the Olympics being a priority....

                    The Financial Times today...

                    G7 leaders pledge world vaccine boost

                    ‘Warm glow’ surrounds summit as Biden promises extra $4bn for Covax pot

                    GEORGE PARKER — LONDON AIME WILLIAMS — WASHINGTON MICHAEL PEEL — BRUSSELS GUY CHAZAN — BERLIN

                    Leaders of the G7 group of rich democracies have vowed to boost supplies of Covid-19 vaccines to the developing world, although divisions remain over the speed at which to share doses.


                    Comment


                    • Ahead of the meeting, French president Emmanuel Macron told the Financial Times the west should urgently allocate up to 5 per cent of their current vaccine supplies to developing countries, where Covid-19 inoculation campaigns have scarcely begun and China and Russia are offering to fill the gap.

                      But while the US has increased its financial support for Covax, it rejected Macron’s call to share doses before it had completed its own domestic vaccination campaign.

                      “Our current focus is on vaccinating Americans, getting shots in arms here,” said one US official before the meeting. Another official said Biden had asked staff to explore options for donating “surplus” vaccines “once there is a sufficient supply” to meet US demand.

                      Comment


                      • Anyways I don't see vaccinating athletes as the hold up but the Japanese public...who are way behind and just getting started and lead the world in vaccine phobia....

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                          Anyways I don't see vaccinating athletes as the hold up but the Japanese public...who are way behind and just getting started and lead the world in vaccine phobia....
                          Restricting spectators to only those WITH the vaccine should do the trick. And keep the athletes away from the general population.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                            But while the US has increased its financial support for Covax, it rejected Macron’s call to share doses before it had completed its own domestic vaccination campaign.

                            “Our current focus is on vaccinating Americans, getting shots in arms here,” said one US official before the meeting. Another official said Biden had asked staff to explore options for donating “surplus” vaccines “once there is a sufficient supply” to meet US demand.
                            And with India and China providing substantial supplies to poor nations it is no wonder that the US has lost its moral authority with developing nations. New Zealand has already purchased covidi-19 vaccines for Pacific Island nations and committed to supply them at a similar schedule to New Zealand's own citizens.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              Restricting spectators to only those WITH the vaccine should do the trick. And keep the athletes away from the general population.
                              That sounds good in theory....but 10,000 athletes plus thousands others descending on a crowded island in a pandemic....good luck....not entirely clear if vaccinated people can't spread the disease....the evidence is not a whole lot...but I doubt the Japanese will buy it.
                              Last edited by Conor Dary; 02-20-2021, 03:02 AM.

                              Comment


                              • After we vaccinate all, I care about.....

                                How is Naomi gonna safely light the torch?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X