Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see the G7 has 'approved' the staging of the Olympics.
    ??
    Does that affect it somehow?

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      I see the G7 has 'approved' the staging of the Olympics.
      ??
      Does that affect it somehow?
      I suppose all that it means is that there are 7 countries whose governments won't ban their countries' teams from going to Japan if the Games actually take place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
        I suppose all that it means is that there are 7 countries whose governments won't ban their countries' teams from going to Japan if the Games actually take place.
        I would think any and all countries would mandate the vaccine for membership on the team and then they'd ALL be fine with it.
        I found an answer to an earlier question I had asked: 'Can you still carry and spread Covid even if you've had both shots?' It seems the odds are very, very small.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

That's about right....doesn't mean much...

Meanwhile....

Hives, chills reported following COVID-19 vaccination in Japan

The Japanese government said Saturday it has received reports of hives and chills as potential side effects from coronavirus vaccination, in the wake of the vaccine rollout in the country earlier this week.

It is the first time to confirm possible side effects from COVID-19 vaccination in Japan. The hives case occurred at a hospital in central Japan's Toyama Prefecture on Friday, the prime minister's office said in a tweet.

The ministry and other officials said the case of chills was initially reported as a symptom of anaphylaxis, which was later retracted. The ministry has not disclosed from what prefecture the case was reported.

If a person dies due to side effects following a coronavirus vaccination, the government will pay 44.2 million yen ($419,000) in compensation to the bereaved family, according to the health ministry.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...-in-japan.html

Comment

• While the G7’s support of the Games is a positive sign, not all country’s leaders, even those who attended the G7 Summit, have been as optimistic. Last week U.S. President Joe Biden stated that any decision related to the Olympic Games would need to be “based in science.”

https://swimswam.com/group-of-seven-...s-this-summer/

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
              Biden stated that any decision related to the Olympic Games would need to be “based in science.”
              As someone who REALLY wants them to go forward, I'm good with that. The USA numbers will be waaaay down in June, and I'm guessing (and I bet Dr. Fauci will back me up on this!) the whole team will have been vaccinated.
              Last edited by Atticus; 02-20-2021, 08:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                3. Perhaps establishing outside of Japan Olympic covid-19 transit hubs for athletes and officials to be tested and, if necessary, vaccinated. The reason for this is because the reality is that you cannot trust some countries and they could well lie on behalf of possible positive or non-vaccinated athletes, if those athletes were likely medalists
                This does not have to be "outside of Japan." They could require all athletes and officials to come through one of the US Air Force or Japanese SDF bases in Japan by chartered flights. They can be easily isolated from the general public until they are cleared. Then they can be transported to the Athlete Village (or designated hotels for officials) in chartered buses. So they won't be in contact with the general public.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  As someone who REALLY wants them to go forward, I'm good with that. The USA numbers will be waaaay down in June, and I'm guessing (and I bet Dr. Fauci will back me up on this!) the whole team will have been vaccinated.
                  Meanwhile...in the Times...

At the start of the pandemic, Germany showed itself to be a global leader in dealing with a once-in-a-century public heath crisis. Chancellor Angela Merkel forged a consensus on a lockdown. Her government’s testing and tracing tools were the envy of European neighbors. The country’s death and infection rates were among the lowest in the European Union. And a generally trustful population abided by restrictions with relatively muted grumbling.

No more. In the virus’s second wave, Germany now finds itself swamped like everyone else. A host of tougher new restrictions has stretched on, amid loud complaints, and even occasional protests before everything was shut down again. Still, infection rates hover around 10,000 new cases per day.

And as fears grow over the new variants first identified in England and South Africa, Germany’s vaccination program, lashed to the fortunes of the European Union, has floundered. Only 3.5 percent of Germans have received their first shots, and just 2 percent, roughly, have been fully immunized.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                    At the start of the pandemic
                    Angela Merkel forged a consensus on a lockdown.
                    testing and tracing tools were the envy of European neighbors.
                    The country’s death and infection rates were among the lowest in the European Union.
                    And a generally trustful population abided by restrictions with relatively muted grumbling.

In the virus’s second wave, Germany now finds itself swamped like everyone else.
                    That's called 'Familiarity breeds contempt'. They thought they had it whipped and relaxed their vigilance. The virus was patiently waiting for that to happen.

Comment

• Meanwhile...

Japan minister warns of slower pace of COVID vaccine shots for elderly

Inoculations of Japan's elderly against the novel coronavirus will start in April as planned but at a slower pace, the minister in charge of the inoculation rollout said Sunday as the country received its second shipment of Pfizer Inc.'s vaccine.

Citing what he said was a delay until May of a production capacity increase by Pfizer, Taro Kono, the administrative and regulatory reform minister, said supply of the vaccine "will be very limited until April," adding,"We will start (vaccination of the elderly) little by little and expand it slowly."

Japan last Wednesday started inoculating an initial group of health workers in the first phase of its vaccination rollout.

For people aged 65 or older, a group of about 36 million, vaccinations will start in April under the schedule set by the health ministry. But Kono, speaking on a TV program, said that the vaccine will be only available in limited areas and among limited age groups during that month.

He said it would be difficult to achieve the government's goal of completing vaccination of the elderly in two months and three weeks in large cities.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...r-vaccine.html
                      Last edited by Conor Dary; 02-21-2021, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• China Is Preparing for Another Olympics in Beijing, Like It or Not

With the Winter Games less than a year away, a powerful and confident China is promising retaliation if any country boycotts the event over human rights.

The International Olympic Committee, like the sponsors and broadcasters, has a lot to lose if the Games are sparsely attended.

“It is also clear that we want with this Olympic Games to experience the passion and excellence of sport and the excellence of the Chinese organization,” the committee’s president, Thomas Bach, was quoted as telling the state news agency, Xinhua, after a telephone call with Mr. Xi in January to discuss Beijing’s latest preparations.

Beijing was awarded the 2022 Games after several European cities dropped out in 2015, citing the onerous costs. China defeated the only other bidder left standing, Almaty, the principal city of Kazakhstan, another authoritarian country. The vote was 44 to 40.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/19/w...s-boycott.html

Comment

• Japan vaccine supplies to be limited, delaying shots for elderly: minister

Japan will only receive limited doses of COVID-19 vaccines for the first months of the rollout and shots for the elderly will be distributed gradually, the country’s inoculation chief said.

Pfizer Inc, the maker of Japan’s only approved COVID-19 vaccine, is ramping up production in Europe, but those increased supplies are not likely to reach Japan until May, Administrative Reform Minister Taro Kono cautioned on Sunday in an interview with national broadcaster NHK.

“We would like to start vaccinations for the elderly in April, but unfortunately the number of doses allocated to them will be very limited at first, so we want to start slowly,” Kono said.

Japan has negotiated to receive more than 500 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines developed by Western drugmakers. But domestic regulators have only approved one vaccine so far, and the nation remains dependent on imported supplies that have been held up by production snags and export controls.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2AM05P

Comment

• Japan's vaccination chief says Tokyo Olympics not in his planning

The minister overseeing Japan’s vaccination programme said on Wednesday that the Summer Olympics in Tokyo were not part of his planning.

The Summer Olympics, due to start in Tokyo in July, were “not on my schedule at all,” he said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idUSL1N2KU10S

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                              This does not have to be "outside of Japan." They could require all athletes and officials to come through one of the US Air Force or Japanese SDF bases in Japan by chartered flights. They can be easily isolated from the general public until they are cleared. Then they can be transported to the Athlete Village (or designated hotels for officials) in chartered buses. So they won't be in contact with the general public.
                              While I think this would be a "best practice" for ensuring healthy performances at the Games, it would be a heckuva detriment to the training and preparation of the athletes. Although everyone would remain on a relatively equal footing (no pun intended).

Comment

• Japan’s Struggle for a Home-Grown COVID-19 Vaccine

Japan’s lagging vaccine roll-out draws attention to the barriers in commercializing domestic vaccine production.

However, at this stage Japan has only approved the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, emphasizing the need for safety rather than speed. Pfizer’s international clinical trial was tested on 40,000 people of which 4 percent were Asian. But since no Japanese subjects took part in the clinical trials there are concerns over ethnicity-specific side effects. Japan’s immunization campaign has been slowed down by requests from the Ministry of Health to hold local clinical trials in order to “confirm the effect of the vaccine on Japanese people.”

Now the pandemic lays bare the risks of allowing Japan’s domestic capability to fall behind. Japan’s shipment of Pfizer vaccines from Belgium will require approval from the European Union (EU) and with Europe facing vaccine shortages there are concerns that supply to Japan will be disrupted until sufficient supplies are provided to the European people.

https://thediplomat.com/2021/02/japa...id-19-vaccine/

Comment

Working...
                                X