Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I expect they will let some number of Japanese citizens attend as spectators, with proof of vaccination and restricted capacity (25% or whatever), at least for outdoor events.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
      I expect they will let some number of Japanese citizens attend as spectators, with proof of vaccination and restricted capacity (25% or whatever), at least for outdoor events.
      Give them all mics and no one will be the wiser!

Comment

• The biggest threat to Tokyo’s volunteer force, he added, could be volunteers’ fear of interacting with people from 200 Olympic countries, many of which either have had high Covid infection rates or have released little information on infection rates or vaccinations.

“I think with the volunteers for Tokyo, the biggest issue is basically the drop-out rate because of Covid,” Sherwood said. “And what’s the contingency against that?”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tokyo-o...ic-11614821947

Comment

• Slow vaccine rollouts delay return of business travel in Asia

Alice Woodhouse in Hong Kong

Despite their successes in controlling coronavirus outbreaks, Asian economies need to speed up vaccine rollouts to reopen their borders and allow vital business travel to resume, according to a report.

Countries in Asia-Pacific that effectively contained the virus “felt it less imperative to be the first or fastest with the vaccine”, but they now need to reach herd immunity before they can safely reopen borders to visitors, according to the report from Moody’s Analytics.

Most countries in the region will reach herd immunity in 2022 or 2023 at current projections, the report found.

https://www.ft.com/content/c93a29e3-...4-6675ce6053b7

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
            “I think with the volunteers for Tokyo, the biggest issue is basically the drop-out rate because of Covid,” Sherwood said. “And what’s the contingency against that?”
            I am here, ready, willing and able to Volunteer!
            Just fly me there, given me room and board and access to all the T&F medalists!

Comment

• Comcast CEO: ‘We’re Getting Past the Point of If’ Summer Olympics Will Happen to ‘How’

Four months out from when the Tokyo Summer Olympics are set to occur as (re)planned this July, Comcast CEO and chairman Brian L. Roberts thinks we’ve reached the point where it’s not “if” the Games will take place amid the pandemic, but “how” they will look.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...132944322.html

Comment

• I guess....then I look at this chart.... just because things are looking promising in the US don't assume it's the same elsewhere...
                Last edited by Conor Dary; 03-04-2021, 11:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                  [BComcast CEO and chairman Brian L. Roberts thinks we’ve reached the point where it’s not “if” the Games will take place amid the pandemic, but “how” they will look
                  Yay! Like the ingenuity to fast-track the Covid vaccine, depend on the ability of us to 'find a way' to do lots of 'it ain't gonna happen' things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                    I guess....then I look at this chart.... just because things are looking promising in the US don't assume it's the same elsewhere...
                    One can also argue that vaccinated (getting a shot) is not the same as being immunized (2 weeks or more after 2 shots with Pfizer and Moderna). If you look at it that way, we all have a long way to go and its not surprising the most countries are even further behind.

Comment

• Meanwhile...

Tokyo Olympic organizers most likely not to accept overseas fans

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...mpossible.html

Comment

• Toshiro Muto, CEO of the committee, also echoed such a view in an interview with Kyodo News, hours before Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga extended the COVID-19 state of emergency covering the Tokyo metropolitan area to March 21, two weeks beyond its previously scheduled end.

"Japan does not allow people from overseas to enter the country at the moment. They will be allowed once the situation improves, but I think it is not easy for the situation to improve to the point that we can welcome them with ease," he said.

Hashimoto, meanwhile, said at the press conference it is essential to dispel health worries among the Japanese public.

"(People) may think we are forcing to hold the games no matter what, but that is not true," said the seven-time Olympian who took the helm of the committee about two weeks ago after her predecessor Yoshiro Mori sparked an uproar over sexist remarks.

According to a Kyodo News survey conducted last month, 47.1 percent of respondents wanted the Olympics and Paralympics to be postponed again, while 35.2 percent said they should be canceled. Only 14.5 percent wanted the games to be held as currently scheduled.

"In regards to coronavirus countermeasures, we need to inform the public to the level that people think 'are they doing this much?' Unfortunately, we have not fulfilled that 100 percent. So I think it is something we need to work on," Muto said.

Comment

• Comment

• The sad thing right now is Canada. I did my fellowship up there and have a lot of orthopaedic colleagues and they tell me Canada is just not getting vaccines to give out, because nothing is made in Canada and the government never contracted with the suppliers. I love Canada and I hate that for my friends up there - and for all Canadians.

Comment

• I had noticed Canada was doing poorly compared to the US but I didn't realize how much...

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                                T...... they tell me Canada is just not getting vaccines to give out, because nothing is made in Canada and the government never contracted with the suppliers.........
                                Pretty unbelievable, if that is the case. Political heads should roll for that, starting with he who loves to do multiple traditional Indian costume changes during the day

Comment

Working...
                                X