Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan COVID-19 inoculations off to snail pace start due to vaccine, syringe shortages

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan’s COVID-19 inoculation campaign is moving at a glacial pace, hampered by a lack of supply and a shortage of specialty syringes that underscore the enormous challenge it faces in its aim to vaccinate every adult by the year’s end.

Since the campaign began three weeks ago, just under 46,500 doses had been administered to frontline medical workers as of Friday.

At the current rate, it would take 126 years to vaccinate Japan’s population of 126 million. Supplies are, however, expected to increase in the coming months.

By contrast, South Korea, which began its vaccinations a week later than Japan, had administered nearly seven times more shots as of Sunday.

Unlike many other countries, Japan requires clinical trials for new medicines, including vaccines, to be conducted with Japanese patients, slowing down the approval process.

https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idINKBN2B00D0

Comment

• Meanwhile....

Japan logs five more anaphylaxis cases after virus vaccinations

New cases bring number of confirmed instances following COVID-19 inoculation to eight

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...n-anaphylaxis/

Comment

• Japan's local governments worried about lack of vaccine info from state

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...unicipalities/

Comment

• Comment

• Today's as-yet unconfirmed official word is that the games are on but no foreign fans allowed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ed/ar-BB1epfEU

Comment

• Not surprising on no visitors....

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                Not surprising on no visitors....
                That and requiring vaccinations for anyone involved is the only way they're going to pull it off, and I do think they will.
                Follow the money, too much to lose.

Comment

• Without spectators it is an economic bloodbath for Tokyo.....

The TV deals are with the IOC....
                  Last edited by Conor Dary; 03-09-2021, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Follow the money, too much to lose.
                    I don't know exactly how these things work, but my thinking is that if the OGs are cancelled then the organizers and others (NBC, etc.) will have some kind of insurance policies to recover a lot of the costs. If there is an OG no one gets an insurance payout no matter how much money they lose. So depending on who you are it may make more financial sense to cancel. Either way much of the hospitality sectors that were gearing up for a mass of tourists probably had no insurance and are therefore screwed either way.

Comment

• The people NOT screwed are the international viewing public, which is a boon in this pandemic.

Comment

The people NOT screwed are the international viewing public, which is a boon in this pandemic.
                        Of those affected, fans are the least of my concerns. If a fan can't handle a lost Olympiad due to a worldwide epidemic disaster that fan's priorities need an adjustment. The folks I have the most sympathy for are the athletes. Folks losing money on the deal? Definitely sucks for the Japanese but I have low levels of sympathy for NBC or the IOC.

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post

Of those affected, fans are the least of my concerns. If a fan can't handle a lost Olympiad due to a worldwide epidemic disaster that fan's priorities need an adjustment. The folks I have the most sympathy for are the athletes. Folks losing money on the deal? Definitely sucks for the Japanese but I have low levels of sympathy for NBC or the IOC.
                          I agree with that.... for the general public it is basically a 2 week reality show quickly forgotten...

There will be plenty of sports without the Olympics...The European Championships in football are this summer...

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                            Without spectators it is an economic bloodbath for Tokyo.....

The TV deals are with the IOC....
                            Yes, but the Organizing Committees get 30% of the money from TV. The IOC only negotiates the television deals and then distributes the money. The % of how much they distribute has changed over the years. In 2017 the distribution of IOC television money was as follows:

30.7 per cent – Olympic and Youth Olympic Games Organising Committees, so mainly to Russia and Brazil.
                            13.8 per cent – IFs.
                            11.1 per cent – IOC central/operating costs (including culture and heritage in 2013).
                            10.9 per cent – NOCs, including via Olympic Solidarity
                            10.6 per cent – broadcasting costs.
                            7.2 per cent – the United States Olympic Committee
                            4 per cent – the 2016 net cash, which may by now have been redistributed.
                            11.7 per cent – everything else, including 2.3 per cent culture and heritage in 2014-2016, 1.3 per cent Olympic Channel, 0.4 per cent cancellation insurance and 2.5 per cent earmarked funds, which support the World Anti-Doping Agency, the International Council of Arbitration of Sports and other bodies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary
                              .The European Championships in football are this summer...
                              zzzxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz for Americans.

Comment

zzzxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz for Americans.
                                Americans have NBA play-off, NFL preseason, MLB and NASCAR.

Comment

Working...
                                X