• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    ...backing either a further delay...
    Which has essentially be ruled out...

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
      Which has essentially be ruled out...
      Which is fine for T&F - we have the WC - other sports will have to rely on other opportunities.

Comment

If it does happen, US athletes will probably be banned from entering Japan like they are/will be from Europe until COVID-19 is under control. That probably won't change even with a vaccine. Yesterday there was a report that something like 30% of Americans said they would not get a vaccine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown View Post
          Yesterday there was a report that something like 30% of Americans said they would not get a vaccine.
          Those folks will be doing a lot of self-driving. Once a viable vaccine arrives, I'd suspect you'll have to show your vaccination record to board planes, trains, and maybe even even mass transit. Transportation entities will be forced to in order to attract passengers (and avoid potential lawsuits).

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post

Those folks will be doing a lot of self-driving. Once a viable vaccine arrives, I'd suspect you'll have to show your vaccination record to board planes, trains, and maybe even even mass transit. Transportation entities will be forced to in order to attract passengers (and avoid potential lawsuits).
            Yes...that probably will be the case....I remember going to Nepal in the 70s and needing vaccination documents.

Comment

Meanwhile....

The #EU confirms list of 15 countries allowed to visit - the United States is not included. Here they are: - Algeria - Australia - Canada - Georgia - Japan - Montenegro - Morocco - New Zealand - Rwanda - Serbia - South Korea - Thailand - Tunisia - Uruguay - China*

https://mobile.twitter.com/jchatterl...71222106497026

Comment

Conor, I believe non-EU but Schengen nations like Norway & Switzerland (and the UK too) are also allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Which is fine for T&F - we have the WC - other sports will have to rely on other opportunities.
                  So, Track and Field is the only sport that have a world championship? Hmmmmmm? Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                    Meanwhile....

The #EU confirms list of 15 countries allowed to visit - the United States is not included. Here they are: - Algeria - Australia - Canada - Georgia - Japan - Montenegro - Morocco - New Zealand - Rwanda - Serbia - South Korea - Thailand - Tunisia - Uruguay - China*

https://mobile.twitter.com/jchatterl...71222106497026
                    Hmmm. That's about as attractive as being invited to swim in the Amazon River in an area of the river with only a few piranha.

Comment

I did read somewhere that the EU requires reciprocation from those 15 countries. And we've been informed numerous times by El Toro and Tuariki that Australia and New Zealand aren't allowing folks from other countries to enter and would, at best, have a 14-day quarantine if they relax it. Is that still true?

Comment

I did read somewhere that the EU requires reciprocation from those 15 countries. And we've been informed numerous times by El Toro and Tuariki that Australia and New Zealand aren't allowing folks from other countries to enter and would, at best, have a 14-day quarantine if they relax it. Is that still true?
                        That is true. After a bit of a Government border control screw up, everyone entering the country is immediately quarantined for 14 days, covid tested within 3 days of arrival, and covid tested again 3 days before they are released from quarantine. They need a clear test to be released from quarantine. And because of the border control screw up the border and all quarantining security is now handled by the military, because they follow bloody orders, and are not susceptible to giving exemptions to "poor me", pretty me", sob stories.

The only people allowed to travel to and enter NZ are:
                        1. NZ citizens
                        2. The holders of NZ resident visas, if previously entered NZ as NZ RV holder. If the RV granted offshore and they had not entered before - sorry but NO
                        3. The non-citizen partners and children of NZ citizens and NZ resident visa holder, if they are travelling with the NZ citizen / resident visa holder
                        4. The non-citizen partners travelling to NZ by themselves if they have a valid partnership visa, and are ordinarily resident in NZ

certain exempted people who bring significant economic benefit to NZ, for example:
                        1. All the Hollywood luminati needed to make the next version of AVATAR
                        2. All the yachting elite needed for the teams in the America's Cup

The Government yesterday announced that if kiwis leave NZ they will likely have to pay all costs associated with being quarantine for 14 days of their return to NZ.

We have got to the state we are in because of a lot of luck, and a compliant population willing to comply with the mandatory isolation requirements during our level 4, 3 and 3 lockdown alert levels.

We are so far really lucky in that we have no identified community spread. And by lucky, I mean lucky. We appear to have dodged a bullet with the recent border screw ups.
                        Last edited by Tuariki; 07-01-2020, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

[SNIP]

We are so far really lucky in that we have no identified community spread. And by lucky, I mean lucky. We appear to have dodged a bullet with the recent border screw ups.
                          Tauriki, Australia not so lucky with Victoria making a hash of its hotel quarantine (HQ) for overseas returnees after initially containing community spread.

The rumours are that security staff and/or cleaners, er, "fraternised" with the quarantined, then failed to physical distance from other workerss, spreading it amongst themselves before going home to their families, who, in some cases, then had large gatherings of extended family in contravention of lockdown limitations. Fucking meathead genius!

The rest of Australia basically has things under control, so other state politicians are mightily pissed off, especially as Victoria is refusing to take any returnees until they get the outbreak under control, leaving other states to handle additional HQ.

So, two countries but significantly different outcomes from similar sloppy quarantining. Luck? Well, we'll see what the official enquiry finds.

Comment

It would be good news for any EU visitors who were in these countries when lockdown started who now need to return home.

Comment

It’s times like this, I’m glad I moved to Rwanda

Comment

I think you'd be surprised at the large percentage of Americans that don't travel at all and couldn't care less about travel requirements. Growing up in a small town Texas town, I definitely can think of multiple people I knew that have never ventured further than the 2 hours to Houston or San Antonio. My parents never got on an airplane or left Texas until they were around 50.

Comment

Working...
                                X