Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of course the next step is just ban all foreign athletes and just let the Japanese compete...

Comment

• Japan looking to halve number of official travellers to Games

Japan's government will begin talks soon on potentially halving the number of official travellers to the country for this year's Olympics to around 30,000 amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Kyodo news agency reported on Friday.

https://sports.yahoo.com/japan-looki...191339542.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        Of course the next step is just ban all foreign athletes and just let the Japanese compete...
        Hyperbole, I presume. LOL!!! LOL!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
          Japan looking to halve number of official travellers to Games

Japan's government will begin talks soon on potentially halving the number of official travellers to the country for this year's Olympics to around 30,000 amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Kyodo news agency reported on Friday.

The Zeno Olympics...keep halving the number foreigners allowed each week.

Comment

Japan reports 47 anaphylaxis cases after 580,000 Pfizer vaccine shots

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...ine-shots.html
            That's great - less than 1/100th of 1%.

Comment

Japan looking to halve number of official travellers to Games

Good. Anybody who's not a coach or medical professional doesn't really need to physically accompany the team. The dignitaries and administrators can maintain communication from their home countries via phone, Zoom calls (and similar), email, and social media.

Comment

• I think the next step should be cutting down the number of media people. IOC should provide the international feed to everyone, and TV networks should cover it remotely from their home studios. All the interviews should be conducted via Zoom sessions. That could probably cut some 90% of foreign media. The rest should be quarantined in a bubble set up at a designated hotel.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                  Anybody who's not a coach or medical professional doesn't really need to physically accompany the team. The dignitaries and administrators can maintain communication from their home countries via phone, Zoom calls (and similar), email, and social media.
                  Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                  I think the next step should be cutting down the number of media people. IOC should provide the international feed to everyone, and TV networks should cover it remotely from their home studios. All the interviews should be conducted via Zoom sessions. That could probably cut some 90% of foreign media. The rest should be quarantined in a bubble set up at a designated hotel.
                  I agree with all this.

Comment

I think the next step should be cutting down the number of media people. IOC should provide the international feed to everyone, and TV networks should cover it remotely from their home studios. All the interviews should be conducted via Zoom sessions. That could probably cut some 90% of foreign media. The rest should be quarantined in a bubble set up at a designated hotel.
                    As of about 2 months ago I was scheduled to work for the USOPC and the IOC in their media contingents in Tokyo and was planning to go (I'm fully vaccinated or I wouldn't consider it). However, not really sure of the current status given all the new findings. One other thing not mentioned yet in the media that I think I can now share. It is likely that anyone that goes to the Games, probably other than the athletes, will have to first quarantine for 2 weeks in Tokyo after arriving there, and test negative daily for those 2 weeks while staying in designated hotels. Since I heard that not sure I even want to go as I would be away from home for almost 5 weeks (get there a few days before Opening, and usually stay 2-3 days after Closing).

Comment

• It seems that some foreigners who bought tickets will not be given a full refund.

Appears that they will lose 20% (or more) of their money (plus the interest they might have received if that money had been in their bank accounts for the past year or so).

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/ol...234725189.html

Comment

• We have a cable channel (“Eleven Sports”) that covers all sorts of things such as pickle ball (my wife watches), darts, billiards, and Japanese baseball.

I turned on a game and the Domed Stadium had a good crowd. At first it did not appear there was social distancing. But when I got some close ups, I could see some space between spectators in at least one or two parts of the park. I could also see people were wearing masks in the box seats.
                        Last edited by Halfmiler2; 03-30-2021, 01:45 AM.

Comment

• https://www.insidethegames.biz/index...-set-to-resume
                          Test events with fans likely at some.

Comment

• Some medical experts not convinced it's safe to hold Tokyo Games

"It is best to not hold the Olympics given the considerable risks," Dr. Norio Sugaya, an infectious diseases expert at Keiyu Hospital in Yokohama, told The Associated Press. "The risks are high in Japan. Japan is dangerous, not a safe place at all."

Sugaya believes vaccinating 50-70% of the general public should be "a prerequisite" to safely hold the Olympics, a highly unlikely scenario given the slow vaccine rollout in Japan.

Fewer than 1% of the population has been vaccinated so far, and all are medical professionals. Most of the general public is not expected to be vaccinated by the time the Olympics open July 23.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...ld-tokyo-games

Comment

Sugaya believes vaccinating 50-70% of the general public should be "a prerequisite" to safely hold the Olympics, a highly unlikely scenario given the slow vaccine rollout in Japan.

Fewer than 1% of the population has been vaccinated so far, and all are medical professionals. Most of the general public is not expected to be vaccinated by the time the Olympics open July 23.
                              Then don't let Japanese fans into the stands unless vaccinated, and don't let the athletes go out and mix with the general population.

Comment

• Are any nations/WA working to get their athletes vaccinated before the OG to help calm these fears?

Comment

Working...
                                X