Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AldousZX View Post
    https://thenassauguardian.com/2020/0...200m-in-tokyo/

WA haven’t wielded to Shaunae MUs request to change the schedule to allow her to double. Article suggests she’s leaning towards the 200
    Interesting. Its understandable though considering she already has Olympic Gold in the 400m. As dominant as she is in both though, I see a path to 200m gold being a bit more crowded than the 400m.

In a world where Schippers and Thompson are back fully healthy, and Asher-Smith is even better, its not far fetched to see SMU outside of the medals. In the 400m though, its hard to see a scenario where she ends up lower than 2nd, barring any mistakes (like 2017). And in the event Naser cant compete, SMU becomes one of the biggest gold medal "locks" of the Olympics. (Though if Felix makes the team, NBC will be all over a 2016 rematch...)

Comment

Originally posted by ATK View Post
      Interesting. Its understandable though considering she already has Olympic Gold in the 400m. As dominant as she is in both though, I see a path to 200m gold being a bit more crowded than the 400m.

In a world where Schippers and Thompson are back fully healthy, and Asher-Smith is even better, its not far fetched to see SMU outside of the medals. In the 400m though, its hard to see a scenario where she ends up lower than 2nd, barring any mistakes (like 2017). And in the event Naser cant compete, SMU becomes one of the biggest gold medal "locks" of the Olympics. (Though if Felix makes the team, NBC will be all over a 2016 rematch...)
      This is sad if true - I can never get my head around why they wont try and accommodate the big stars.
      I am not sure which would be the bigger story and legacy - winning the 200m or retaining the 400m title. I agree that with Naser out of the picture - TBC of course - then the 400m as it stands would see her head and shoulders above her opposition. However, the 200m would appear to be more competitive. Had Tokyo been this year, then coming off her dominant form last year, I would say she would be hot favourite for the 200m. But as it's now moved back to 2021, then that's hopefully time for the injured Thompson and Schippers to be back in form, as we want them all at their best. It also means DAS is another year stronger too.
      Dina will be 25 and a half come Tokyo, SMU 27, whilst ET and DS will have just turned 29 the month before. On paper DAS & SMU should be closer to their peaks, but neither ET nor DS were able to train at full load in 2019 are still in that optimum range for a sprinter. Of course, let's not forget Ta Lou and whichever Americans step up. But on her 21.74 Zurich form, I can see 21.6 next year, and I dont think ET and DS will ever get back to that - sub 22 yes - so it may be a case they are battling for silver and bronze with DAS. However.....my only 'concern' re SMU would be her preferred lane 7 that she always asks for. She can run fast in all lanes I am sure, but if she got 3 or 4, it would 'hamper' her just ever so slightly because of her 185/6'1 height.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

This is sad if true - I can never get my head around why they wont try and accommodate the big stars.
        From previous examples, it does seem to me that a request to adjust a timetable to accommodate a double attempt is far more likely to succeed if the athlete has already won at each distance at a major champs (not necessarily the same one though that would help!).

Comment

changing 200/400 scheduling is tougher now than ever before, what witih the mixed 4x4 in the mix

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            changing 200/400 scheduling is tougher now than ever before, what witih the mixed 4x4 in the mix
            And that seems to be the exact reason they denied her request.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/...edule-200-400/

This decision is so strange. Sorry, we can't accommodate a historic very realistic Olympic double because we need to make sure this makeshift event that few people (no one?) even asked for is on the schedule.

I mean, if they wont do it now, and for a big name like SMU, then they are basically saying, as long as the mixed 4x4 is on the schedule, forget it.
            Last edited by ATK; 07-08-2020, 07:21 PM.

Comment

The mixed relays are an exhibition farce. Does anyone knowledgeable consider them serious competitions? I hope they soon disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                The mixed relays are an exhibition farce. Does anyone knowledgeable consider them serious competitions? I hope they soon disappear.
                expect more along that line rather than fewer

Comment

I hope the running with a spoon and an egg doesn't make it into the Olympic Games or the banana relay (runners carry and pass a banana as the baton).

Comment

I'd love to see an egg and spoon race in the Olympics...

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                      I'd love to see an egg and spoon race in the Olympics...
                      I don't think the U.S. would be very good at it.

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post

I don't think the U.S. would be very good at it.
                        I don't know about that...we have lots of egg farms...

Comment

We can't even pass over a big baton.

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
                            We can't even pass over a big baton.
                            You got a point there....

Comment

Yeah but as a nation we obviously love to eat so maybe add making a fried egg with it at the finish line and we'd be all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                                Ah, of course! On the one hand, I get this. If there is the new event they have introduced, why would they inconvenience multiple athletes for the sake of one. However, the sport really needs to keep it's big stars happy and showcase them. But....on looking at the Tokyo schedule again, whilst it certainly isn't ideal for a 200/400 double, I think she could still do it, especially if no Naser.

Mon 3rd Aug AM session - 200m 1st rd
                                Mon 3rd Aug PM session - 200m SF

Tues 4th Aug AM session - 400m 1st rd
                                Tues 4th Aug PM session - 200m F

Wed 5th Aug AM session - rest
                                Wed 5th Aug PM session - 400m SF

Thurs 6th Aug AM session - rest
                                Thurs 6th Aug PM session - rest

Fri 7th Aug AM session - rest
                                Fri 7th Aug PM session 400m F

The challenge is that Tues-Wed , where the test will be the 400m 1st rd the morning of the 200m final, but she can just coast that. It absolutely isn't ideal, and there is no doubt no athlete wants to have to get up early, warm up, run a 400m, warm down, get back to the village etc on the morning of an Olympic final in another event, but she could really just coast a 52. The 400m SF is then the evening after the 200m, again, not ideal running her SF after a late evening & a hard race the night before, but she should be ok. Then she has plenty of rest until the 400m final.

The risk I see is if she tries to conserve energy too much in the 200m SF. Depending on draw, she will likely have to face either DAS, ET, DS, Ta Lou & whichever Americans qualify. So she will need to run fast, but if she settles for 2nd place, the risk is she doesn't get a good lane for the final.

Comment

Working...
                                X