Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tokyo Olympics ... [no foreign fans] [no fans period]

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Calls to Cancel Tokyo Olympics Grow Louder as Emergency Extended

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...gency-extended

    Comment


    • History shows importance of holding Tokyo Olympics in 2021

      https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...s-in-2021.html

      Comment


      • Unused COVID shots piling up in Japan amid slow rollout

        Unused COVID-19 vaccines in Japan are set to reach tens of millions of doses, as the country is poised to approve two more shots in coming weeks and the pace of its inoculation campaign remains slow due to manpower and logistical bottlenecks.

        https://www.yahoo.com/news/unused-co...071344277.html

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          History shows importance of holding Tokyo Olympics in 2021

          https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...s-in-2021.html
          That was written a year ago...the Japanese obviously disagree.

          Also...

          For example, many timed sports such as running and swimming can be held remotely and separately outside Japan if certain conditions are made equal.

          Then, those images of races could be integrated into a synthetic video as if they were racing together during the games in case athletes cannot come to Japan.

          It would be difficult for other sports, such as combat and team sports, however.

          Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-07-2021, 07:45 PM.

          Comment


          • Yeah, they would rather drink in the street than seeing the Olympics.

            Packed trains, drinking: Japanese impatient over virus steps

            Trains packed with commuters returning to work after a weeklong national holiday. Frustrated young people drinking in the streets because bars are closed. Protests planned over a possible visit by the Olympics chief.

            https://www.yahoo.com/news/japan-set...025342495.html

            Comment


            • Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
              Unused COVID shots piling up in Japan amid slow rollout

              Unused COVID-19 vaccines in Japan are set to reach tens of millions of doses, as the country is poised to approve two more shots in coming weeks and the pace of its inoculation campaign remains slow due to manpower and logistical bottlenecks.

              https://www.yahoo.com/news/unused-co...071344277.html
              The Japanese government has definitely had their heads in the sand when it comes to the virus. Acting like they wish the thing would go away on its own. But as I have posted the Japanese are very vaccinephobic.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                Yeah, they would rather drink in the street than seeing the Olympics.

                Packed trains, drinking: Japanese impatient over virus steps

                Trains packed with commuters returning to work after a weeklong national holiday. Frustrated young people drinking in the streets because bars are closed. Protests planned over a possible visit by the Olympics chief.

                https://www.yahoo.com/news/japan-set...025342495.html
                The Japanese have done well so far primarily because of travel restrictions....so having 10s of thousands of foreigners foisted on them in a couple of months for the Olympics is the last thing they want.

                Comment


                • Japan has avoided implementing a hard lockdown to curb infections, and past states of emergency have had little teeth, with people and businesses free to ignore the provisions. These measures have since been toughened, but they come as citizens show increased impatience and less desire to cooperate, making it possible that the emergency declaration will be less effective.

                  The extension deepens uncertainties over a speculated May 17 visit by International Olympics Committee President Thomas Bach, and whether Japan can safely host the Olympics postponed from last year and currently scheduled for July 23-Aug. 8.

                  Despite criticism for being slow to take virus measures, Suga has been reluctant to hurt the already pandemic-damaged economy and pledged to keep the state of emergency “short and intensive," though experts said just over two weeks would be too short to effectively slow the infections.

                  Comment


                  • And then, there are lynch mobs like this...

                    Japanese swimming star Ikee answers anti-Olympic messages

                    Japan's Rikako Ikee, who this year won a place on Japan's Olympic swim team about two years after being diagnosed with leukemia, on Friday rejected social media messages calling for her to quit the Tokyo Games or oppose them.

                    https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...-messages.html

                    Comment


                    • Yeah that's bad....but another symptom of how dumb it is to have an Olympics in an unvaccinated country during a pandemic. It will probably get worse if they insist on this idiotic path.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                        Yeah that's bad....but another symptom of how dumb it is to have an Olympics in an unvaccinated country during a pandemic. It will probably get worse if they insist on this idiotic path.
                        yes, of course, when Tokyo was selected, the IOC should have been able to:
                        1. predict this pandemic
                        2. predict that Japan would be largely unvaccinated

                        Comment


                        • 'No end in sight': People fed up after Japan's latest virus emergency extension

                          People in Japan on Saturday expressed weariness about having to put up with an extension of the coronavirus state of emergency until the end of May, part of an effort by the government to suppress a resurgence of infections ahead of this summer’s Tokyo Olympics.

                          https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ncy-weariness/

                          Comment


                          • Japan's extended virus emergency could lead to ¥1 trillion economic loss

                            Japan’s extended state of emergency over the coronavirus pandemic is estimated to lead to an economic loss of ¥1 trillion ($9.2 billion), dimming the prospect for a steady recovery toward the end of the year, according to an economist’s forecast.

                            https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...rus-emergency/

                            Comment


                            • Japan’s daily COVID-19 cases topped 7,000 for the first time since mid-January on Saturday, a day after the government’s decision to expand the ongoing state of emergency beyond Tokyo and the greater Osaka region, amid growing fears over spreading variants of the coronavirus.

                              https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...navirus-may-8/

                              Comment



                              • Editorial: Tokyo Olympics could turn into a coronavirus superspreader

                                The IOC has an obligation to put public safety before profits and postpone or cancel this summer’s Games


                                https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/05/...ovid-concerns/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X