Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    ... Just what degree of involvement or influence did these corporate sponsors have before 1996? I'm thinking it wasn't even close in Barcelona 1992 or earlier.
    Peter Ueberroth rewrote the book on that with LA '84

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Brisbane is not the front-runner for 2032. Brisbane is the selection for 2032 - 100% guaranteed. IOC Session has never overturned a recommendation of the IOC Executive Committee that I know of.
      I wondered if I read wrong and it was a done deal. Nonetheless, if Japan decides it's a no-go, watch the IOC go into vindictive mode and ban them from ever seeking to host the Olympics again, be it 2036 or beyond.

Could Seoul be ready on extremely short notice? They are doing a much better job at containing the virus, although that 4th wave is determined to knock over their apple cart as well.

Comment

Just what degree of involvement or influence did these corporate sponsors have before 1996? I'm thinking it wasn't even close in Barcelona 1992 or earlier.
        I'm remembering the fit that the "Dream Team" had over what logo would be displayed when they went to the medal ceremony. I think it was a case of the individual players being sponsored by one company (probably Swoosh) and the USA team sponsored by another. Some were actually going to boycott the ceremony until a "compromise" was reached to let them cover up the "offending" logo with a towel.
        So it seems Barcelona was where the really intrusive corporate issues began.
        I may have the details not exactly right, but I think I have the gist of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
          I'....
          No, we go back to Uebberoth for that; surely you remember the horror of fans being shut out of tickets in the LA Coliseum, then every day you'd see huge blocks of empty seats where Corporation Z had decided that a day at Disneyland would be a better employee perk than some stupid track meet?

Comment

• Originally posted by cigar95 View Post
            I'm remembering the fit that the "Dream Team" had over what logo would be displayed when they went to the medal ceremony. I think it was a case of the individual players being sponsored by one company (probably Swoosh) and the USA team sponsored by another. Some were actually going to boycott the ceremony until a "compromise" was reached to let them cover up the "offending" logo with a towel.
            Therein lies a degree of hypocrisy on the part of the IOC. They seem to want corporate sponsorship, but they don't want the athletes showing their support for their corporate sponsors, some of whom were Olympic sponsors.

I may have the details not exactly right, but I think I have the gist of it.
            You might have a point, with regard to what happened with USAB. But on the whole, the corporate involvement I saw, with regard to the 1992 broadcast, didn't come even close to the deluge that was 1996. Saramanch had to be annoyed with what the XXVI Olympiad had become.
            Last edited by CookyMonzta; 06-12-2021, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post

No, we go back to Uebberoth for that; surely you remember the horror of fans being shut out of tickets in the LA Coliseum, then every day you'd see huge blocks of empty seats where Corporation Z had decided that a day at Disneyland would be a better employee perk than some stupid track meet?
              I don't think I saw any of that in the news.

Comment

Therein lies a degree of hypocrisy on the part of the IOC. They seem to want corporate sponsorship, but they don't want the athletes showing their support for their corporate sponsors, some of whom were Olympic sponsors.

You might have a point, with regard to what happened with USAB. But on the whole, the corporate involvement I saw, with regard to the 1992 broadcast, didn't come even close to the deluge that was 1996. Saramanch had to be annoyed with what the XXVI Olympiad had become.
                I knew someone, sadly now deceased, who was in Atlanta in 1996 and was rather proud of having smuggled a can of Pepsi into the stadium.

Comment

• Tokyo Olympics: Why people are afraid to show support for the Games (yahoo.com)

"Those against the Games may complain, not just to me but also to my company and I don't want to cause trouble for my colleagues and bosses."

Comment

• We're 6 weeks out now. I would think we're well past the 'Go/No-Go' point. Might as well accept their reality.

Comment

• IMO the Japanese Government should make being vaccinated mandatory for every foreigner entering Japan from now through to the conclusion of the Para Olympics.

And that includes all athletes. No vax, no compete.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                        IMO the Japanese Government should make being vaccinated mandatory for every foreigner entering Japan from now through to the conclusion of the Para Olympics.
                        But they can't verify that. Vaccination cards are too easy to forge, and there is no central database they can check. What they can and will do is require a Covid test within a few days before the flight and again on arrival in Japan.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

But they can't verify that. Vaccination cards are too easy to forge, and there is no central database they can check. What they can and will do is require a Covid test within a few days before the flight and again on arrival in Japan.
                          Might not be necessary (the vax, that is; but it will certainly help). Check them as they come in. If they come up COVID, FedEx them out of Tokyo pronto!

Comment

Might not be necessary (the vax, that is; but it will certainly help). Check them as they come in. If they come up COVID, FedEx them out of Tokyo pronto!
                            Its a lot more than that, I can tell you, as I'm going thru the paperwork involved, and all the other stuff involved. You have to show evidence of 2 negative tests within 96 hours of leaving your home country for Japan. You will be tested again at the airport before you can enter the country. For the first 14 days in the country, you must be tested every day. All foreign entrants to Japan (including those of us who will be working for an NOC, in my case the USOPC) are required to download a tracing app onto our phone so our movements within the country can be traced at all times in case we have a positive test or contact with a positive test. Entering any venue will require that your temperature is taken before entering. You also have to take your own temperature (thermometers are required) in the morning and evening at your hotel and document it on the tracing app. You cannot enter the country without a cell phone as you have to have the tracing app.

We have to file a form detailing where we will be at all times during our stay in Japan, which I did Friday and submitted to the USOPC. You are not allowed to go anywhere in Japan which is not on the form - in my case, the only places I am allowed to go will be the MPC (Main Press Centre), IBC (International Broadcast Centre), and my hotel. Unless you have required Games-related duties (which I do), you may not leave your hotel for the first 3 days in Japan.

You must leave the country as soon as possible after your Olympic duties are finished. I usually stay 1-2 days after Closing Ceremony and sightsee a bit in the host city, and was originally planning on doing that, but USOPC informed me a few weeks ago I must leave Monday morning after the Closing.

After 14 days in Japan, with everything above negative, some of these restrictions will be lifted, and you may be able to go to a restaurant. In my case that only gives me about 5 days at the ends of the Games, as I arrive 2 days before the Opening Ceremony.

All of this is outlined in a very detailed playbook written by the IOC and the Japanese OCOG, and sent to us by the USOPC. There have been several versions of this published and the final one of these is due to come out any day now.

The USOPC has had Zoom meetings with all involved Tokyo participants every other week since April or so, detailing everything we have to do to be compliant with the restrictions. Further the USOPC has designated several CLOs (COVID liaison officers) that are assigned to every member of the USOPC delegation. We have to report in to our CLO on a daily basis and report any possible symptoms and send them our temperature read-outs from the tracing app. In addition to the tracing app, there are also a couple of other phone apps we have to download to be tracked in Japan.

Interestingly, vaccination status has zero to do with any of this. I can fully document my vaccination status, as I was fully vaccinated by the end of January. I have the hard copy print-out of my card, photocopies of it on my cell phone, and copies of my North Carolina Medical Board (or whatever it is) verification of my vaccination status on my phone. None of that matters in Japan.

For me, the most disappointing thing in all this is that I was looking forward to going to Tokyo as I have never really been there before. I have been to 4 orthopaedic meetings in Japan but all were in other cities (Fukuoka, Nagoya, Sendai, Osaka) so all I did was fly in to the Tokyo airport and transfer to a domestic flight to the other cities. I've never spent any time in Tokyo. And now I will not be able to see any of the city either. Oh well, those are the rules.
                            Last edited by bambam1729; 06-13-2021, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• at least you'll be there!

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                                You cannot enter the country without a cell phone as you have to have the tracing app.
                                That implies you also need a phone with a SIM card that works in Japan, with a US-based data plan that will allow roaming in Japan without bankrupting you, or you have to sign up for a plan with a Japan-based carrier.

Are they providing information on how to obtain that to every athlete, coach, and support staff in the world who will be in Tokyo? Or will there be wifi coverage for all the areas within the bubble?

Comment

Working...
                                X