Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meanwhile....

Track and field is coming off a U.S. Olympic Trials so glorious that it might have been the best since 1988, when Florence Griffith Joyner and Jackie Joyner-Kersee set world records in Indianapolis and Carl Lewis was at the peak of his greatness.

Yet does anyone care at all?

The Associated Press devoted more coverage to hammer thrower Gwen Berry turning away from the flag during the national anthem than to anything that happened on the track or in the field.

TV ratings weren’t all that encouraging, either. NBC’s average viewers per hour for Olympic Trials:
    • 4.990 million, gymnastics (five hours).
    • 2.732 million, swimming (11 hours).
    • 2.545 million, track and field (eight hours).
    • 2.076 million, diving (three hours).
    https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...Qn82XWHGf2ZRpM

Comment

• Well, gymnastics has Biles and swimming has Ledecky. McLaughlin isn't as well known as those two. And NBC missed the opportunity to showcase her talent during the prime time, thanks to the record heatwave.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Lots of luck....Britain is 46% fully vaccinated and a surge is still happening...
        Surging among who, the unvaccinated and partially vaccinated?

Comment

• I am accredited to cover FIBA during the 2021 Summer Games. Through a gaffe, I was not approved f/ accommodations last year before cancellations- I was wait listed. So I was wait listed f/ 2021 housing. However, recently accommodations were updated to a select list of approved hotels, no private home stays, & restricted movements f/ some media arrivals. There are also public transportation restrictions. As my media outlet is not covering my room rate, I decided not to go to Tokyo. My plan was to fly in on 7/21 U.S., and return 8/10 Tokyo. As I am also a tourism journalist, I am in discussions w/ Visit Tokyo, to tour the city @ a later date. In addition, the fact I wouldn't have been allowed to attend the Finals of the men's & women's 100M dashes, & 4 X 100M relays as a fan, figured in my decision not to go to the Games

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
            Well, gymnastics has Biles and swimming has Ledecky. McLaughlin isn't as well known as those two. And NBC missed the opportunity to showcase her talent during the prime time, thanks to the record heatwave.
            That and Richardson and McNeal sucking all the oxygen out...

It is almost like Trials didn't happen as far McLaughlin getting PR out of it.

Having the races in the morning they could have shown the races taped in the afternoon which I would have bet NBC wanted.

Anyways it was a lovely evening watching it live at Hayward. And Sydney set a WR which I'm sure she was happy about even if few were watching.

Comment

• Meanwhile...

Third Olympian tests positive for coronavirus after arrival in Japan

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...e-coronavirus/

Comment

• 40% of Tokyo Olympics' sessions could be staged without spectators

In the wake of a resurgence of COVID-19 cases in Tokyo, the organizing committee and the Japanese government are finding it increasingly difficult to stick to the 10,000-spectator cap and they have begun to look at an alternative.

Daily COVID-19 cases in Tokyo have been rebounding since a state of emergency was lifted after about two months, and the government appears to have no choice but to extend the current quasi-state of emergency that is set to expire on July 11.

While a number of influential medical experts have warned of a surge in infections before and after the start of the Olympics, there are also some officials of the organizers who have pushed for a blanket no-spectator option.

"It will be better to have no spectators from the beginning than to switch to no spectators after a state of emergency is declared during the games," one of the officials said.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...pectators.html

Comment

• Meanwhile...

Some countries that were almost untouched by #COVID19 in 2020 are experiencing more challenges now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KeithNHum...93566607323139

Comment

• Financial Times...

Japan weighs fan curbs at Olympics

Rise in Tokyo cases adds to pressure on organisers to keep out spectators

ROBIN HARDING — TOKYO

The Japanese government is under pressure to reverse course and take the Tokyo Olympics behind closed doors as Covid-19 cases rise in the capital.

After bottoming out at fewer than 400 cases a day in mid-June, the number of new diagnoses has climbed to almost 600 a day, raising fears of a full-blown surge when the games are held between July 23 and August 8.

The increasing infection count has highlighted the risk taken by Yoshihide Suga, Japan’s prime minister, in choosing to ignore his medical advisers and allow the games to go ahead with up to 10,000 fans in stadiums.

It also reflects the growing presence in Japan of the more infectious Delta variant of Covid-19 and the delayed progress of the country’s inoculation campaign, which has seen a first dose given to 24 per cent of the population.

Comment

• The restrictions were supposed to end this weekend but officials said the government was considering whether to maintain them throughout the two weeks of the Olympics. If cases keep rising, Suga might be forced to declare a full emergency.

Comment

• So much for hiding under a rock for over a year.

It seems that massive, strict shutdowns only delayed the inevitable.
                        You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                          Meanwhile...

Some countries that were almost untouched by #COVID19 in 2020 are experiencing more challenges now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KeithNHum...93566607323139

That looks bad. But this looks better.

Japan COVID: 806,834 Cases and 14,848 Deaths - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

Comment

• And apparently no foreign breast feeding babies

Comment

• Tokyo's seven-day rolling average of infections per day came to 602.3, above the 500 mark that indicates Stage 4, the worst level, on the government's four-point scale for the pandemic's severity.

The recent uptick comes as the government is leaning toward maintaining the quasi-state of emergency covering the Tokyo metropolitan area beyond its initially scheduled end next Sunday.

The resurgence has been fanning public skepticism about holding the Tokyo Olympics. The organizing committee has insisted the games will begin on July 23 after a one-year postponement due to the pandemic.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...-approach.html

Comment

• Olympic athletes are requested to check-in no more than five days before they compete and para-athletes seven days before. They are then required to vacate the villages within two days of the end of their events.

"We needed to put a lot of restrictions on athletes. I imagine that being asked to put on masks at all times except when eating and in competition will be quite tough for international athletes," said Tokyo 2020 Village Mayor Saburo Kawabuchi.

"We also asked many things, like to leave dining halls as early as possible, even though at previous games athletes were able to mingle," Kawabuchi said.

It is not prohibited to bring alcohol into the villages, but residents are asked to drink alone in their rooms, a situation that is more than a little incongruent with the image of the celebrating post-competition medalist.

"They are not allowed to freely hold parties outdoors or at public spaces in the village," a sacrifice in line with those being made by the Japanese public during the pandemic, said Takashi Kitajima, general manager of the village, adding alcohol will not be sold.

Athletes and officials are asked to wear masks, keep mealtimes as short as possible, eat alone and always maintain physical distancing in the villages.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...s-village.html

Comment

Working...
                                X