Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tokyo Olympics ... [no foreign fans] [no fans period]

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    Right ...what is a few deaths as long as it is no one you know...just so the Olympic circus can go on.

    Comment


    • The organizers of the Olympics and Paralympics could hold a meeting as early as Thursday to agree on a new spectator cap. On that day, International Olympic Committee chief Thomas Bach is scheduled to arrive in Japan.

      Under the emergency, the number of people allowed at sports and other big events is restricted to 50 percent of venue capacity with an upper limit of 5,000 people.

      Still, uncertainty is growing over whether the Olympics, delayed for one year due to the coronavirus pandemic, can actually be held safely, with the Tokyo metropolitan government saying it will take the torch relay off public roads also in the second half of the 15-day leg passing through central districts of the capital.


      https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...-to-covid.html

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

        Right ...what is a few deaths as long as it is no one you know...just so the Olympic circus can go on.
        If "no deaths from the pandemic during and immediately after the Games" becomes the criterion for holding the Olympics, there will never be another Olympics.

        During every Olympics, someone from outside the country brings the virus for infectious disease and someone in the host country gets infected, and dies as a result. The difference is that we don't know how many people caught the diseases and died later in other Olympics.

        Euro Soccer Tournament and Wimbledon are probably causing some deaths right now, and we don't see much protest against them.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
          If "no deaths from the pandemic during and immediately after the Games" becomes the criterion for holding the Olympics, there will never be another Olympics.

          During every Olympics, someone from outside the country brings the virus for infectious disease and someone in the host country gets infected, and dies as a result. The difference is that we don't know how many people caught the diseases and died later in other Olympics.

          Euro Soccer Tournament and Wimbledon are probably causing some deaths right now, and we don't see much protest against them.
          The difference, which you fail to notice, is the Europeans want the Euros...and the Brits want Wimbledon...also they are 60% vaccinated...

          The Japanese are about 20% vaccinated and don't want the Olympics... it is more of an invasion by the world than a sporting event.

          The Japanese are being held hostage by the IOC... who don't care at all. Nor do some here.

          Comment


          • As Tokyo Olympics approach, virus worries rise in Japan

            The pressure of hosting an Olympics during a still-active pandemic is beginning to show in Japan.

            The games begin July 23, with organizers determined they will go on, even with a reduced number of spectators or possibly none at all. While Japan has made remarkable progress to vaccinate its population against COVID-19, the drive is losing steam because of supply shortages.

            With tens of thousands of visitors coming to a country that is only 13.8% fully vaccinated, gaps in border controls have emerged, highlighted by the discovery of infections among the newly arrived team from Uganda, with positive tests for the highly contagious delta variant.

            As cases grow in Tokyo, so have fears that the games will spread the virus.

            https://apnews.com/article/africa-ja...5140e60ebda389

            Comment


            • Japan is likely to stage the Olympics without spectators at venues in Tokyo due to a spike in coronavirus cases, a senior government official said Wednesday.

              The possibility is increasing as the Japanese government plans to declare another COVID-19 state of emergency for Tokyo, possibly until Aug. 22, according to high-ranking officials.

              https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...organizer.html

              Comment


              • Things seem to be on the improve for Japan

                Screenshot_20210708_143953_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

                Comment


                • Not in Tokyo...

                  Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga's government is set to decide Thursday to place Tokyo under another COVID-19 state of emergency until Aug. 22, covering the duration of the Olympics, in an effort to curb a recent surge in infections.

                  https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...-olympics.html

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

                    The difference, which you fail to notice, is the Europeans want the Euros...and the Brits want Wimbledon...also they are 60% vaccinated...

                    The Japanese are about 20% vaccinated and don't want the Olympics... it is more of an invasion by the world than a sporting event.

                    The Japanese are being held hostage by the IOC... who don't care at all. Nor do some here.
                    Let's see how far that hostage-taking gets them. I don't think the IOC is done with their attempts to strongarm Japan. Soon enough, in fear of losing hundreds of millions, and the sight of nearly-empty arenas becoming a PR dystopia for the IOC (in ways much worse than it would be for Japan), they will demand that all spectator restrictions be lifted (state of emergency be damned), and that the seats be filled to near-capacity, especially for the opening and closing ceremonies...

                    ...Poppycock, of course, because it is much too late to make such a demand. Suga can thumb his nose at them on that account. What are they going to do? Move the Olympics out of Japan 2 weeks before they are scheduled to begin? I don't think even Seoul (or any other city, for that matter) could be ready to replace them at this point, if the IOC took to acting out of panic, desperation and spite.

                    Comment


                    • And yes, I happen to think that right now the IOC is literally begging Suga not to put Tokyo back under a state of emergency.

                      Comment


                      • From the Guardian:

                        There’s a lot of chatter this morning that Japan may be on the verge of banning all spectators from the Tokyo Olympics. Earlier Reuters carried a line from Fuji TV that at 8.00pm Japan time (1100 GMT) there would be a meeting that would decide to reduce the spectator cap from 10,000 to 5,000.
                        However they are now quoting Asahi daily saying that organisers were set to formally reach the decision on having no spectators during the five-way talks between key parties. The newspaper said it was citing people involved in the Games.

                        Comment


                        • Olympics to be held without spectators in Tokyo due to pandemic



                          The Tokyo Olympics will be held without spectators at venues in the Japanese capital due to a spike in coronavirus infections, Olympic minister Tamayo Marukawa said Thursday after organizers made the unprecedented decision just two weeks ahead of the opening of the global sporting event.

                          The announcement, abandoning their earlier plan to stage the Olympics in front of a limited number of fans, came after the Japanese government decided to put Tokyo under another state of emergency until Aug. 22, amid rising concern the games could trigger a further surge in infections.

                          https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...-olympics.html

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
                            And yes, I happen to think that right now the IOC is literally begging Suga not to put Tokyo back under a state of emergency.
                            That didn't work....

                            Comment


                            • Sorry that there will be no spectators, but they kept their promise to pull this off in the safest manner they could, and the Olympians very much appreciate that, while sad that there will be no crowd to perform for.

                              Comment


                              • a japanese t-shirt

                                https://www.facebook.com/commerce/pr...5922108862649/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X