Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Financial Times..

[I]Proceeding with no fans is likely to mean that the organisers will need a taxpayer bailout to refund ticket holders.
    I forgot about that. How many people bought tickets before last year's postponement announcement? How many people paid those reserve fees to secure their place in the queue before their time came to pay for the tickets held for them? I can imagine the IOC and the Japanese Olympic Organizing Committee are going to shell out millions in refunds, and the hotels will also have to refund reserve fees to their customers, now that they can't go there.

I hope neither the IOC nor TV companies try to recover their losses by instituting a wildcat pay-per-view slate for their prime events.

Comment

• A group of citizens in Japan sought a court injunction on Friday to halt the upcoming Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics, arguing that going ahead with the games during the coronavirus pandemic violates the constitutionally guaranteed right to live.

The four citizens filed with the Tokyo District Court demanding that games organizers cancel the sporting events, saying the organizers have not provided grounds in which the global sporting events can be held in a "safe and secure" way to protect people.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...s-concern.html

Comment

• Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga may have been counting on the Tokyo Olympics to buoy public sentiment before calling a general election this year, but the games could turn into his biggest liability with the recent surge in COVID-19 cases.

Infectious disease experts including Suga's own COVID-19 adviser, Shigeru Omi, have warned the Olympics could become a launch pad for infections to skyrocket, especially considering the spread of the highly contagious Delta variant of the virus first detected in India.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...e-pay-off.html

Comment

• Spectators at Olympic events in Hokkaido also to be banned

Tokyo Olympic organizers said late Friday they have reversed their earlier decision to allow up to 10,000 spectators at daytime events on Japan's northernmost main island of Hokkaido, a day after deciding to stage the games behind closed doors at almost all venues due to a surge in COVID-19 cases in the Tokyo area.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...uring-day.html

Comment

• Japan's Fukushima Pref. to bar spectators from Olympic softball, baseball

Tokyo Olympics' softball and baseball games scheduled at Fukushima Azuma stadium will be held behind closed doors, Fukushima Gov. Masao Uchibori said Saturday, with the state of the COVID-19 situation still touch and go in Japan.
            The Olympic and Paralympic organizing committee said Thursday all events in the Tokyo metropolitan area would be held without spectators after the Japanese government placed Tokyo under another state of emergency until Aug. 22 amid the latest spike in COVID-19 cases.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...-baseball.html

Comment

• Holding Tokyo Olympics in pandemic shreds consensus in Japan

Support for going ahead seems to be split, and there's persistent opposition. Much of that concern stems from qualms about the health risks. Even though the government is now supercharging its vaccine drive after a slow start, the vast majority of the population still won’t be immunized when the Games start in two weeks.

That’s left the IOC and the Japanese government going through contortions to pull this off. Dr. Shigeru Omi, the government’s top COVID-19 adviser, called it “abnormal” to hold the world’s biggest sports event during a pandemic.

https://www.miamiherald.com/entertai...252675828.html

Comment

• Have they tried going door-to-door?

Comment

• I think that one facet of this whole thing that I haven't seen discussed is the concept of face, which is extremely important in east Asian culture. Having to cancel the Olympics due to mismanagement of preparedness would generally be a death knell to a party in power because it would be seen as a worldwide embarrassment. It's very interesting to me because my wife is Chinese, and I guarantee that the Beijing Olympics are going to happen no matter what because the government will squash any dissent. Japan is obviously different, so people can express opposition. I just don't see any of that making a difference because at this point they are too far down the road. It will be a pretty interesting experiment to see if they can pull off a bubble of epic proportions, I kind of think they will because there is so much data out there from successful bubble management, and the doom and gloom crowd will just have to go find another punchbowl to crap in.

Comment

• Originally posted by HopStepJump View Post
                    the doom and gloom crowd will just have to go find another punchbowl to crap in.
                    The Punchbowl Turds would be a great band name

Comment

• Originally posted by HopStepJump View Post
                      I just don't see any of that making a difference because at this point they are too far down the road. It will be a pretty interesting experiment to see if they can pull off a bubble of epic proportions, I kind of think they will because there is so much data out there from successful bubble management, and the doom and gloom crowd will just have to go find another punchbowl to crap in.
                      Yep. The combination of mass testing, a significantly vaccinated proportion of athletes and officials, restrictions on movement, and lack of spectators will prevent any big outbreak that can be measurably traced to the Games. Some individuals involved with the Games will catch Covid for sure, but not a big outbreak.

Comment

• Olympic leaders are making sure the Tokyo Games are safe — from liability

The trick to feeling secure in the IOC is to buy their posturing and propaganda and ignore their ominous, backdoor backside covering. If you’re scared that holding the Summer Games in the midst of a global pandemic and a state of emergency in Japan could become a variant superspreader event, it’s best to shield your eyes from the frightening liability waivers the IOC’s lawyers are demanding athletes sign to compete. They absolve IOC officials of any responsibility for anything that might happen, ever, in traveling to and from Tokyo to anyplace else in the world, in perpetuity and forever.

“I agree that I participate in the Games at my own risk and own responsibility, including any impact on my participation to and/or performance in the Games, serious bodily injury or even death, raised by the potential exposure to health hazards such as the transmission of covid-19 and other infectious disease or extreme heat conditions,” the waivers read.

Yes, please overlook that special language, newly written and inserted into the IOC’s mandatory participation agreement, for this safe, very safe, most safe event.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ility-waivers/

Comment

• Don’t read the news out of Australia, where Sydney is on lockdown because of the variant sweeping through the Pacific rim, or listen to New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian about how several people were infected by “fleeting” contact in a restaurant and shopping mall. “We need to recognize that this delta variant … is actually a gold medalist when it comes to jumping from one person to another,” Berejiklian said. And don’t listen to Australian national team physician David Hughes, who called the Tokyo airport as well as the gym and dining hall of the Olympic Village “areas of risk.”

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Yep. The combination of mass testing, a significantly vaccinated proportion of athletes and officials, restrictions on movement, and lack of spectators will prevent any big outbreak that can be measurably traced to the Games. Some individuals involved with the Games will catch Covid for sure, but not a big outbreak.
                            Ignore the doubts in your own mind, which tell you we won’t really know how risky this was until people go back to their home countries, perhaps carrying the virus, perhaps to places where the majority of their countrymen are unvaccinated and the health-care system is overwhelmed, and especially won’t know for some time what this is doing to the Japanese population.

Comment

• Comment

• Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga's government is set to put Tokyo under what will be its fourth COVID-19 state of emergency from Monday to Aug. 22, a period that will cover the duration of the Olympics, in an effort to curb a resurgence in coronavirus infections.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...rus-cases.html

Comment

Working...
                                X