Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two athletes became the first to test positive for the coronavirus in the Tokyo Olympic Village, officials said Sunday, Reuters reports.

Comment

• Meanwhile...

Olympics staffer arrested for allegedly raping woman at stadium

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...t-stadium.html

Comment

• Unknown.jpeg have no idea if this is an original idea, but the local fishwrap came up with a good visual on the rings

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
          have no idea if this is an original idea, but the local fishwrap came up with a good visual on the rings
          When was the last time the SF Chron printed the Sporting Green on green paper?

Comment

• Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
            When was the last time the SF Chron printed the Sporting Green on green paper?
            for the front page (and wraparound) I don't believe they've ever stopped

Comment

• Since I haven't seen one in a decade I stand corrected. I thought they went with green header ink on white paper at one point before I stopped subscribing.

Comment

• Meanwhile...

Covid-Related Problems Mount as Athletes and Officials Arrive for Tokyo Olympics

The challenge of staging the world’s biggest sporting event during a pandemic is becoming clear as a stream of athletes and others test positive for the virus after entering Japan

The long-feared possibility that the Covid-19 pandemic could disrupt the Tokyo Olympics is rapidly emerging as a reality, as Games organizers scramble to deal with a rising load of athletes and officials who are testing positive upon arrival in Japan.

The stream of positive cases is quickly demonstrating how difficult it will be to stage one of the world’s largest events during a global pandemic. Tens of thousands of participants from more than 200 countries are entering a country where the vaccination rate of the local population remains low and the more-contagious Delta variant is spreading.

Officials have a dilemma that will run throughout the Games. The Japanese public is deeply wary of the Olympics, fearing an outbreak that will spill into the general population. So they are deploying strict rules to limit the risk—which could block athletes from participating if they become ensnared in Covid protocols.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tokyo-o...ls-11626626865

Comment

• A troubled sequel: Tokyo’s bid to remake classic 1964 Olympics set to disappoint

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-tokyo-legacy/

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

If Japan's refugee system is in accordance with the UN Refugee Convention, a good many of them will succeed
                    In 2019, 10,375 applied for Refugee status. However, only 44 people were accepted.

Refugees in Japan | Japan Association for Refugees (JAR)

If you are an Ethiopian from Tigray region, you might have a chance.

Comment

• Meanwhile....

Six Team GB athletes forced to isolate after Covid scare before Olympics
                      • Preparations for Tokyo are plunged into chaos
                      • South Africa footballers quarantined after positive tests

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...lympic-village

Comment

• So it's no spectators.
                        A made for TV event, for me, loses the important element of the OGs.
                        The theme of the games per se is the coming together of all kinds of people (not just athletes) from all over the world mixing together all over a great city in common cause. And not only in the specific venues.
                        For example, in MontrealI saw a lot of great competitions between iconic figures in multiple sports but my most vivid memory was seeing Randy Williams in a jammed subway station fresh from the stadium and still in USA sweats with his silver medal hanging from his neck.
                        The crowds parted before him, everyone calling out congratulations... I'm sure most people had no idea who he was or even what sport he participated in, but the positive energy shared by strangers was universal.

Comment

• Originally posted by jc203 View Post
                          The theme of the games per se is the coming together of all kinds of people from all over the world mixing together all over a great city.
                          Suffice to say, that is an obsolete model.

Comment

• Originally posted by jc203 View Post
                            So it's no spectators.
                            A made for TV event, for me, loses the important element of the OGs.
                            The theme of the games per se is the coming together of all kinds of people (not just athletes) from all over the world mixing together all over a great city in common cause. And not only in the specific venues.
                            For example, in MontrealI saw a lot of great competitions between iconic figures in multiple sports but my most vivid memory was seeing Randy Williams in a jammed subway station fresh from the stadium and still in USA sweats with his silver medal hanging from his neck.
                            The crowds parted before him, everyone calling out congratulations... I'm sure most people had no idea who he was or even what sport he participated in, but the positive energy shared by strangers was universal.
                            My British Olympic friends think the same....

Comment

• Originally posted by xw View Post
                              Two athletes became the first to test positive for the coronavirus in the Tokyo Olympic Village, officials said Sunday, Reuters reports.
                              These Games are going to be one Bachbuster show. Yes, to top it all off, IOC president Thomass Bach very recently said "Zero chance of any spread of Covid" because of the Olympics. What a disgrace to sport. Where's the high priest of Q Anon when you need her? She could hardly do worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post

In 2019, 10,375 applied for Refugee status. However, only 44 people were accepted.

Refugees in Japan | Japan Association for Refugees (JAR)

If you are an Ethiopian from Tigray region, you might have a chance.
                                I have clients claiming refugee status because of covid-19 from Brazil, India and the USA. The first claim for asylum was lodged in October 2020.

To date, Immigration New Zealand (INZ) has not interviewed any of my clients on the submissions lodged by any if them, which is unusual.

The process in New Zealand is that after conducting interviews, INZ make a report outlining the reasons for their assessment and the claimants have the opportunuty to comment on the report.

If INZ refuse the asylum claim it is automatically escalated to an independent tribunal. This process will likely take at least two years.

If the tribunal also rejects the claim, the claimant can appeal to the High Court, then Court of Appeal, and finally the Supreme Court

My guess for the reason INZ has not conducted an interview us that they are scared a claimant might win their appeal, which I think is a possibility especially re Brazil and India.

And if that happens we will likely have several thousand claims made by overstayers already in New Zealand.

Comment

Working...
                                X