Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tokyo Olympics ... [no foreign fans] [no fans period]

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • gee, I'm sooo sorry I chose to skip Tokyo.....

    Tokyo 2020 officials are stepping up surveillance on foreign attendees for the Olympics here, warning them to stay "within the sight" of a security guard when they leave their hotel amid concerns over COVID-19 rule breakers.

    https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...p-surveillance

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Steele View Post

      He had COVID and therefore acquired natural immunity. I don't know how gh lets you get away with calling people idiots so often.
      Not from the Delta variant. And with so much at risk, getting a vaccine would seem prudent. I don't consider that idiocy, just risky.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Steele View Post

        He had COVID and therefore acquired natural immunity. I don't know how gh lets you get away with calling people idiots so often.
        https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/artic...infection.html

        If someone has had COVID-19, why should they get vaccinated? Don’t they already have immunity?


        If you’ve been infected, you have some protection. But that immunity has limits. The biggest limit is that it doesn’t last as long as we would like it to.

        Studies have shown that people who have been infected can benefit significantly from vaccination. It gives them a strong, lasting immunity boost. After receiving the first dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, they have immunity levels comparable to those of uninfected people who have received their second dose.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by gh View Post
          gee, I'm sooo sorry I chose to skip Tokyo.....

          Tokyo 2020 officials are stepping up surveillance on foreign attendees for the Olympics here, warning them to stay "within the sight" of a security guard when they leave their hotel amid concerns over COVID-19 rule breakers.

          https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...p-surveillance
          There's a TV show here....possibly a comedy.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by gh View Post

            ad hominen attacks on other Board people is verboten: in this case it was somebody who is in the public eye, which by so doing makes one eligible for criticism
            There is criticism and there is name calling. Would he say it to Hocker's face? I'm all for criticism...and civility.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by booond View Post

              https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/artic...infection.html

              If someone has had COVID-19, why should they get vaccinated? Don’t they already have immunity?


              If you’ve been infected, you have some protection. But that immunity has limits. The biggest limit is that it doesn’t last as long as we would like it to.

              Studies have shown that people who have been infected can benefit significantly from vaccination. It gives them a strong, lasting immunity boost. After receiving the first dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, they have immunity levels comparable to those of uninfected people who have received their second dose.
              Before I posted I spent quite some time reading studies. There are studies on both side of the topic, and there are a lot of factors to be weighed when making the case for natural vs vaccine immunity. It's a very complex subject with no cut and dried answer.

              I won't argue with your point that a vaccination or booster provides some benefit. My point was that Hocker isn't an idiot, he does have some immunity and is free to choose his path.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Steele View Post

                My point was that Hocker isn't an idiot, he does have some immunity and is free to choose his path.
                Idiot is likely too strong a description but un or ill informed might be closer.

                You are correct he is free to choose his path. There is a whole topic on that called The Darwin Awards

                Comment


                • i just got an e-mail titled "What do you get the Olympics that has everything?"

                  the answer:

                  Unknown.png

                  Comment


                  • When, or whether, in doubt, just get the damn shot, then get the booster.
                    Last edited by lonewolf; 07-23-2021, 09:00 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Tokyo 2020 organizers reported an additional 19 coronavirus cases on Friday among people connected to the Games, including three athletes.

                      The organizing committee did not name those who were infected. But one of the athletes, who resides in the seaside Olympic Village, was identified as a close contact of a beach volleyball player from the Czech Republic who had also tested positive this week.

                      At least 110 people connected to the Olympics have tested positive so far in Japan, which has instituted strict controls aimed at preventing the spread of the virus during the Games, including barring spectators from nearly all events.

                      Infections have been rising across Japan, which reported more than 5,300 new cases on Thursday, the most in two months, according to New York Times data. The surge comes despite a weekslong state of emergency in Tokyo and other areas that restricts the sale of alcohol and requires bars and restaurants to close early.


                      https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/07...ening-ceremony

                      Comment


                      • Glass half full.

                        https://www.newsweek.com/typhoon-nep...ympics-1612677

                        "Surfers participating in the Olympic Games and some officials are excited by the potential storm.

                        'There's going to be good waves, there's a strong typhoon here off the coast of Japan and we know that the waves are getting bigger' International Surfing Association president Fernando Aguerre told Reuters."

                        Comment


                        • Meanwhile....Financial Times...

                          A trinity of ghosts haunts the Tokyo Olympics
                          As the Olympic countdown clock outside Tokyo Station ticked over to zero and the first selfie-takers arrived to capture the moment, the host city awoke in a muck sweat. And not just because the “mild” weather promised in the bid document has yielded to the belligerent flambé of a normal Japanese summer.

                          The discomfort arises from Japan’s continuing visitation by the ghosts of three Olympics: past, present and future. The question is whether some epiphany will emerge from this grand morality tale.

                          Japan’s engagement with the Ghost of Olympics Past is the most straightforward....The 1964 Tokyo Games were billed as Japan’s triumphant re-emergence as a modern industrial power. It is not hard to see why, in 2012, a bludgeoned, post-quake Japan should have wanted to recapture some of that spirit with another Olympics.

                          The Ghost of Olympics Present....The decision to hold the Olympics in a pandemic was taken despite public opposition, rising infections in and outside the Games’ self-declared “bubble” and unambiguous warnings from Japan’s leading medical voices.

                          The government has taken an almighty risk in knowingly sacrificing the moral authority it will need once the circus has left town. It appears to have done so on the finest of gambles that the Japanese public will always despise and blame the silken manipulators of the International Olympic Committee slightly more than it does members of its own government.

                          The third wraith — of Olympics Future — helps explain why Japan decided to hold the Games in the face of so much that might quite reasonably have cancelled or postponed them. .....2020 will have been the only Games seriously threatened with cancellation and Tokyo does not want, at a visceral level, to be the city the torch skipped once in wartime and once in peace.


                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by gh View Post
                            i just got an e-mail titled "What do you get the Olympics that has everything?"

                            the answer:

                            Unknown.png
                            Yes it headed straight for Tokyo....Monday or Tuesday...

                            A delay of a few days would give a chance for more athletes to test positive.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

                              A delay of a few days...

                              Delay of a few days LOL. Those wind predictions are in kilometers per hour. Relax CL
                              There are no strings on me

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by gh View Post
                                i just got an e-mail titled "What do you get the Olympics that has everything?"

                                the answer:

                                Unknown.png
                                Should cool things off for a while. Recall plenty of rain in 1964 track (on cinders).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X