Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tokyo Olympics ...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by gh View Post

    LA 2032 would, if nothing else, have the marketing link of a centenary celebration (not that the IOC gave a shit about Athens '96s)
    Right...hard to believe LA is all that stuck on 2028...

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      And I will burn IOC Headquarters to the ground if they try and move OG to 22!!!!
      I was in Lausanne once - nice place to revisit . . .
      Yeah we need the WCs in Eugene next year...

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

        Yeah we need the WCs in Eugene next year...
        If it was an option, and they had to choose, the athletes would rather go to the Tokyo 2022 Olympics

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

          I think you should get more sleep...
          Your schtick was just a mild annoyance the first 9 months. Now I am concerned for your mental health. Seriously.

          There are no strings on me

          Comment


          • Originally posted by guru View Post

            Your schtick was just a mild annoyance the first 9 months. Now I am concerned for your mental health. Seriously.
            I'll keep that in mind....I appreciate the kind thoughts...

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

              If it was an option, and they had to choose, the athletes would rather go to the Tokyo 2022 Olympics
              Obviously they won't be in the same year....that is INSANE...

              I don't see Tokyo delaying just a year again..

              Comment


              • Japan tourism push linked to surge in COVID-19 infections -study

                A domestic tourism campaign promoted by Japan's Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga may have contributed to a sharp increase in coronavirus infection cases in the country, a prominent adviser to the government's pandemic response said.

                https://www.yahoo.com/news/japan-tou...054712798.html

                Comment


                • If Tokyo cancels again, neither they nor the IOC will be in any mood to go for Strike 3.

                  Comment


                  • What Does the Uncertain State of the Tokyo Games Reveal About the Olympic Model?

                    The IOC says “there is no plan B” for the Olympics in July. That not only shows the problems with trying to push forward amid a pandemic—it also shows the cracks in a system that has long been flawed.

                    You can tell the Olympics probably won’t happen in 2021 because the person in charge of them keeps publicly insisting that everything is fine. “We have, at this moment, no reason whatsoever to believe that the Olympic Games in Tokyo will not open on the 23rd of July in the Olympic Stadium in Tokyo,” Thomas Bach, the International Olympic Committee president, recently told Kyodo News. “There is no Plan B.” It sounds oddly reminiscent of the statement Bach put out last March as the coronavirus pandemic spread across the globe. “The IOC remains fully committed to the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020,” he said. “There is no need for drastic decisions at this stage. Any speculation at this moment would be counterproductive.” A week later, the IOC made the unprecedented decision to postpone the games until 2021.

                    https://www.theringer.com/2021/1/22/...homas-bach-ioc

                    Comment


                    • I suppose if it ends up that this year's Olympics are cancelled but Tokyo is awarded 2032, you might see them bidding to hold lots of World Champs in various sports before then to make some use of the venues.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                        I suppose if it ends up that this year's Olympics are cancelled but Tokyo is awarded 2032, you might see them bidding to hold lots of World Champs in various sports before then to make some use of the venues.
                        Canceling the games would also be a massive loss for Japan, which has spent $15 billion to host them and wouldn’t be able to recoup it. (The saddest short story in sports: For Sale, Olympic Velodrome, Never Used.) The plan to have Tokyo host the games in 11 years wouldn’t be a financial salve either—if there’s one thing weirder than spending an absurd amount of money to build a bunch of venues for a two-week event, it’s spending an absurd amount of money to maintain those venues for more than a decade so they can be used for a two-week event in 2032.

                        Comment


                        • But a cancellation would be understandable: The Olympics are the least practical event to hold during a pandemic. Considering the circumstances, the notion that tens of thousands of people from all over the globe would gather in one place for two weeks before flying back to their respective home nations is a recipe for disaster. There is nothing remotely similar in scale, which gets at a larger point: The Olympics are the least practical event to hold during the pandemic because they are the least practical event to hold in general.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                            But a cancellation would be understandable: The Olympics are the least practical event to hold during a pandemic. Considering the circumstances, the notion that tens of thousands of people from all over the globe would gather in one place for two weeks before flying back to their respective home nations is a recipe for disaster. There is nothing remotely similar in scale, which gets at a larger point: The Olympics are the least practical event to hold during the pandemic because they are the least practical event to hold in general.
                            Conor speaks the truth. I agree 100%. So Say We all!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by RAP View Post
                              Conor speaks the truth.
                              The attribution was several posts before: Rodger Sherman at TheRinger.com

                              Comment


                              • The say miracles can happen

                                And a miracle is what is needed for it to happen

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X