Hydroxychloroquine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydroxychloroquine

split off from the "no-nonsense" thread, but if the tone of the pissing match doesn't cease markedly, the topic will become completely off limits.

Meanwhile....CNN...

President Trump just announced he's taking hydroxychloroquine. "I take it."

Trump says he's been taking it or a week and a half now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kaitlancollins
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-18-2020, 09:04 PM.

Comment

"Hydroxychloroquine may potentially result in adverse effects on the central nervous system, mainly irritability, nervousness, emotional changes, nightmares, and even true psychoses."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5336441/

Comment

F.D.A. Warns of Heart Problems From Malaria Drugs Used for Coronavirus

The drugs, hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, have been repeatedly promoted by President Trump. But they should be used only in clinical trials or hospitals, the agency said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/h....co/xTyKt5RXEh

Comment

Meanwhile.....

"He shouldn't be taking it," Dr. Sanjay Gupta says on CNN after POTUS announced he's taking hydroxychloroquine, adding there's no evidence it treats or prevents coronavirus and can cause side effects.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kaitlancollins

Comment

Meanwhile....

Fox News's Neil Cavuto is stunned by Trump's announcement that he's taking hydroxychloroquine: "If you are in a risky population here, and you are taking this as a preventative treatment ... it will kill you. I cannot stress enough. This will kill you."

https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/s...84050964631557

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
              Meanwhile....

Fox News's Neil Cavuto is stunned by Trump's announcement that he's taking hydroxychloroquine: "If you are in a risky population here, and you are taking this as a preventative treatment ... it will kill you. I cannot stress enough. This will kill you."

https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/s...84050964631557
              IMHO, Trump's personal physician willing to supervise this nonsense is committing medical malpractice.
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post

IMHO, Trump's personal physician willing to supervise this nonsense is committing medical malpractice.
                I have 2 friends and fellow orthopaedic surgeons who both got COVID19 - one was hospitalized. One is at Duke and one is at Vanderbilt, fairly well respected medical centers. Both of them were treated with hydroxychloroquine, although it was a bit earlier in the pandemic. HCQ certainly has risks, as do all drugs, mainly lengthening of the QT interval, which especially a risk in cardiac patients, but it is taken by a lot of people worldwide, both for malaria, and for lupus.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
                    If he hadn't, he would have been fired and Mr. Trump would have found another doctor to OK it. At least this way, the physician can keep an eye on him.

Comment

I took chloroquine as a prophylactic in Nepal years ago....but that was once a week. Not daily...

And yes the lupus patients taking it is well known.....and a problem since some can't get it now.

Trump taking it now is nuts. And there are side effects as I posted...

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        If he hadn't, he would have been fired and Mr. Trump would have found another doctor to OK it. At least this way, the physician can keep an eye on him.
                        There is such a thing called professional integrity.

by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                          And there are side effects as I posted...
                          Yes, and could you send me the list of the drugs that don't have side effects?

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Yes, and could you send me the list of the drugs that don't have side effects?
                            Why are you acting so silly on this?

Drug promoted by Trump as coronavirus ‘game changer’ increasingly linked to deaths

Clinical trials, academic research and scientific analysis indicate that the danger of the Trump-backed drug is a significantly increased risk of death for certain patients. Evidence showing the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine in treating covid-19 has been scant. Those two developments pushed the Food and Drug Administration to warn against the use of hydroxychloroquine outside of a hospital setting last month, just weeks after it approved an emergency use authorization for the drug.

Alarmed by a growing cache of data linking the anti-malaria drug to serious cardiac problems, some drug safety experts are now calling for even more forceful action by the government to discourage its use. Several have called for the FDA to revoke its emergency use authorization, given hydroxychloroquine’s documented risks.

“They should say, ‘We know there are harms, and until we know the benefits, let’s hold off,’ ” said Joseph Ross, a professor of medicine and public health at Yale University, who added that the original authorization may have been warranted but new evidence has emerged about the drug’s risks.

“I’m surprised it hasn’t been revoked yet,” said Luciana Borio, who served as director for medical and biodefense preparedness of the National Security Council and was acting chief scientist at the FDA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...9ad_story.html

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

I have 2 friends and fellow orthopaedic surgeons who both got COVID19 - one was hospitalized. One is at Duke and one is at Vanderbilt, fairly well respected medical centers. Both of them were treated with hydroxychloroquine, although it was a bit earlier in the pandemic. HCQ certainly has risks, as do all drugs, mainly lengthening of the QT interval, which especially a risk in cardiac patients, but it is taken by a lot of people worldwide, both for malaria, and for lupus.
                              Totally different circumstances.
                              1. At that time, hydroxychloquine was still considered a therapeutic option, it is no longer standard of care.
                              2. It was used in treatment in a hospital setting under constant cardiac monitoring, not as a prophylaxis.
                              3. The patient does not dictate to a physician standards of care. They may be given an option, yes, but that is totally different.
                              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X