• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lonewolf
    • Oct 2005
    • Indian Territory

T&F Jeopardy

Apparently we need an entire thread for this:
    Today's question: Alex, "Hop, Step are first two phases of what track and field event?"
    First Response: Shot Put
    'Second Guesser: Long Jump
  • Conor Dary
    • Oct 2005
    • Under the Tower

What a stupid clue....

Comment

• tandfman
      • Oct 2005

Stupid to you and to me, perhaps, but if two people good enough to get on Jeopardy got it wrong, the Jeopardy people would probably consider it a good clue.

Comment

• Conor Dary
        • Oct 2005
        • Under the Tower

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
        Stupid to you and to me, perhaps, but if two people good enough to get on Jeopardy got it wrong, the Jeopardy people would probably consider it a good clue.
        I don't think it would be very hard to come up with questions no one on Jeopardy could get...no matter what the topic...I could do it all day.

Track for $200...He was third in the 1971 Dream Mile...

Comment

• tandfman
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

I don't think it would be very hard to come up with questions no one on Jeopardy could get...no matter what the topic...I could do it all day.

Track for $200...He was third in the 1971 Dream Mile...
          A question like that would never be a $200 question. And anybody can come up with questions that nobody could get right. (Along your lines--Baseball: They finished third in the American League in 1971). I think what they Jeopardy people are looking for are questions that lots of viewers would get right but some contestants might not. That TJ clue is good in that respect. Anyone who was ever on a track team or who ever followed the sport at any level is likely to know the answer, but many people (particularly those who are too young to remember when the HSJ was the name of the event) would get it wrong if they guessed at all.

I'll be curious to see (when I watch J later) what the category was and how much the clue was worth.

Comment

• bad hammy
            • Oct 2005

They probably would have the same response from contestants if the clue was "This T&F event used to be called Hop, Step & Jump." It is still playing on the fact that to many folks the triple jump is an unknown from another planet.

Comment

• Conor Dary
              • Oct 2005
              • Under the Tower

(Along your lines--Baseball: They finished third in the American League in 1971)

Hey I got that....Who is Nobody? 2 divisions....

I understand what Jeopardy questions are about....but you said 2 contestants got it wrong....I still think it is a dumb clue...

Anyways who was third in the 1971 Dream Mile?

Comment

• Conor Dary
                • Oct 2005
                • Under the Tower

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                They probably would have the same response from contestants if the clue was "This T&F event used to be called Hop, Step & Jump." It is still playing on the fact that to many folks the triple jump is an unknown from another planet.
                Indeed a far better way to phrase it...but yeah no one would get it.

Comment

• gm
                  • Oct 2005

It's a perfectly fine clue.

Comment

• Atticus
                    • Jul 2014
                    • on task

Jeopardy people are looking for are questions that lots of viewers would get right but some contestants might not.
                    I never thought about that before, but you're right; that's exactly what they're looking for: keep the audience thinking, 'I can do that!'
                    When my wife and I watch, we call out the answers before the contestants answer and whenever we get one that stumps all three (which is about once a game), we're beaming for at least an hour afterword. I often get to the end and think - I coulda won tonight - which is, of course, what the show wants . . . knowing full well how much harder it is than it looks, esp. the ringing in at the precise moment.

Comment

• bad hammy
                      • Oct 2005

Plus playing at home avoids things that could make folks nervous, like travel, studio audiences, cameras & viewers. And at home we can answer before Alex finishes reading and avoid the whole button pushing issue. My guess is it is much much more challenging in person.

Comment

• lonewolf
                        • Oct 2005
                        • Indian Territory

I think what they Jeopardy people are looking for are questions that lots of viewers would get right but some contestants might not. I'
                        I read in a Jeopardy article that is exactly what they are doing. .. But, I notice the categories and questions get harder when the big guns are on.

Comment

• J Rorick
                          • Jul 2014

The TV Guide article this week (which I referenced in another thread) discusses how categories and questions are created. There are 8 writers. Each is assigned a category to write 7 or 8 questions for. If none of the other 7 writers can answer the question correctly, it gets tossed. The two head writers pick 5 questions, order the 5 questions, and assign the category to either Jeopardy or Double Jeopardy. An alternate question is chosen for the Jeopardy website game ("J"). And Alex reviews all the questions for readability (and sometimes) questions the accuracy.

Comment

• Master403
                            • Jul 2016

Plus playing at home avoids things that could make folks nervous, like travel, studio audiences, cameras & viewers. And at home we can answer before Alex finishes reading and avoid the whole button pushing issue. My guess is it is much much more challenging in person.
                            Plus they tape two days in a row, five episodes each day. Fatigue is an issue when trying to have a winning streak of more than a few games.
                            Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

• mcgato
                              • Oct 2005
                              • Phoenixville

I think there are two reasons that they didn't go for that answer.
                              1) It may not be known as that worldwide (I'm not sure on this), or it may have never been the official name of the event.
                              2) By not including "jump" in the answer, it helps to mask the question "what is triple jump?"

Like others, I don't see it as a bad clue.

Comment

Working...
                              X