Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clemson University [monuments & names]

Currrently under attack for having the name of a slave-owner. I can see lots of Southern (and in other places too) institutions having to face some tough judgments in the near future.
    A local HS changed its name from Forrest, a CSA general and KKKer, but another, Lee, did not.
    Last edited by gh; 06-26-2020, 08:39 PM.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Currrently under attack for having the name of a slave-owner. I can see lots of Southern (and in other places too) institutions having to face some tough judgments in the near future.
    A local HS changed its name from Forrest, a CSA general and KKKer, but another, Lee, did not.
    Is there something particular about Clemson the slave owner which differentiates him from Jefferson the slave owner? Doesn't every major city have a Jefferson High?

Comment

A very slippery slope.I'm all for eliminating flags and other confederate symbols They advocate treason in my view..
      But should we change the names of all schools at every level to purge long dead slave owners?
      Begin with Washington and Lee University and continue through a very long list?
      Recently there was a movement on the Princeton campus to erase tributes and references to Woodrow Wilson because he made statements tacitly endorsing segregation more than a century ago.
      Isn't is possible to recognize important historical figures as flawed humans who made significant impacts both positive and negative?
      Someone once suggested "malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds..."

Comment

Story is wrong....it's not the name Clemson under attack....

Deshaun Watson, DeAndre Hopkins and thousands others have called on Clemson University to rename some of its facilities, notably the Honors College program, that bear the name of slaveholder John C. Calhoun.

Clemson University was built on the plantation of former Vice President Calhoun. Known for defending slavery and owning about 80 slaves himself, Calhoun has become a controversial name on Clemson's campus, where it is featured throughout, notably as the name of the school's Honors College.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/us/cl...rnd/index.html

Comment

Calhoun died in 1850. I guess the school can do whatever they wish but Calhoun was, at least at one time, considered one of the great statesman in the history of the country as a Senator and lauded by President Kennedy as such. Are we going to remove the Kennedy name from the gazillion places which bear his name as well or perhaps acknowledge that things were a bit different 60 years and 175 years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
            Story is wrong....it's not the name Clemson under attack....
            Oh, OK, that makes more sense, but the question remains, how long before all slave-associated names must go? Given our current socio-cultural climate (a very necessary one IMO), I could see lots of changes coming. Otherwise, it ends up being a lot of lip-service. Washington and Jefferson would be a HUGE problem.

Comment

University of Oregon going through the same process. In 2016 they reviewed two building names and changed one. Now they're going after the other.

After being presented with lengthy analysis and research from historians, the board voted to rename one building: a residence hall named after Frederick Dunn, a former professor and member of the Klu Klux Klan. It is now named Unthank Hall after DeNorval Unthank Jr., an alumnus and longtime advocate for Oregon’s black community.

But the board chose to preserve the name of Deady Hall, named after Matthew P. Deady, despite the research finding he ran as a pro-slavery delegate to the Oregon Constitutional Convention in 1857, argued that slaves were property and actively denied the rights of black, Chinese and Native American people.
              https://www.registerguard.com/news/2...-of-deady-hall

Oregon has a unique place in the history of US racial relations as the only state with a constitution that specifically prohibited blacks from living in the state. Didn't change that until the 1920s. You'd think that living next door in California I would have known about this but it was new to me when I moved up here in 2015.

No free negro or mulatto not residing in this state at the time of the adoption of this constitution, shall come, reside or be within this state or hold any real estate, or make any contracts, or maintain any suit therein; and the legislative assembly shall provide by penal laws for the removal by public officers of all such negroes and mulattoes, and for their effectual exclusion from the state, and for the punishment of persons who shall bring them into the state, or employ or harbor them.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon...exclusion_laws

Comment

Yeah don't remind me that ...Deady Hall is the iconic original building and home to the mathematics department...I had an office in there as a graduate student....turned out Deady changed his positions later in life so the name stayed.

Yes the black history in Oregon is not great...probably why the black population here is so small....but we keep trying to improve...at least in the Willamette Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                  Oregon has a unique place in the history of US racial relations as the only state with a constitution that specifically prohibited blacks from living in the state. Didn't change that until the 1920s.
                  Wow! I'll have to remember that factoid the next time my sister is bragging about how 'woke' Oregon is!

Comment

Have you seen the comments coming from Dabo Swinney defending his assistant coach for using the N-word on one of his athletes?

As I've said, Dabo Swinney is dumber than needle-nosed pliers.

Comment

Wow! I'll have to remember that factoid the next time my sister is bragging about how 'woke' Oregon is!
                      Woke or not....That was a long time ago...and it's quite a bit different....or haven't you noticed.

Comment

You're from Florida and taking shots at racial issues in other states?? George Zimmerman would approve . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                          Have you seen the comments coming from Dabo Swinney defending his assistant coach for using the N-word on one of his athletes?

Thick as a brick....

Iowa coach also....

What’s next for Iowa football? One former player defends head coach Kirk Ferentz, while another is ‘asking for change’ after alleged racist remarks by strength coach.

The program’s attitude has been: Our way or the highway. And many have fled. The Athletic reported that from 2012-17, 56 players with eligibility transferred out. Only 16 were white.

Morrow left in 2009 after a nasty altercation with Doyle, who has been hailed for helping transform 2- and 3-star recruits into all-Big Ten players since joining the program in 1999.

“Kirk is the steady hand,” said Anthony Herron, a Chicago-based radio and TV analyst who played for both Ferentz and his predecessor, Hayden Fry. “Chris is the heavy.”

Players say Doyle made remarks about sending minority players back home to the inner city under the guise of motivation. Or “back on the streets,” as one put it.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ed~curatedpage

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

DeAndre Hopkins is apparently in Swinney's corner.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...sm-allegations

Comment

Meanwhile....

NASCAR: “The display of the confederate flag will be prohibited from all NASCAR events and properties.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/AnaCabrer...22144839163904

Comment

Working...
                              X