• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spreading out the Olympics? [split]

since all this has nothing to do with the NCAA

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Of course the future of the Olympics doesn't look bright
    Could we see a future for the OG as clumps of events spread out over time and place during the summer of the quadrennial?

Comment

I'm sure people didn't think the future of the Olympics looked bright from 1940-44, either.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        I'm sure people didn't think the future of the Olympics looked bright from 1940-44, either.
        True.....but it also didn't cost much to get it rolling again....London in 1948 was rather stark and still put on a fine Olympics.

Unless the Olympics scale way back it's doomed...

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

Could we see a future for the OG as clumps of events spread out over time and place during the summer of the quadrennial?
          I don't think the IOC could sell that to the TV world.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            I don't think the IOC could sell that to the TV world.
            Perhaps. But does it really matter where it's being televised from? And spreading it out over a summer keeps the brand in the public eye longer.
            The biggest downside is spectator access to many sports and the athlete camaraderie across sports, which won't affect the bottom line too much.
            As they say, follow the money. The FIFA World Cup is spread out in time and place.
            The OG are way too big now.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              Perhaps. But does it really matter where it's being televised from? And spreading it out over a summer keeps the brand in the public eye longer.
              The biggest downside is spectator access to many sports and the athlete camaraderie across sports, which won't affect the bottom line too much.
              As they say, follow the money. The FIFA World Cup is spread out in time and place.
              The OG are way too big now.
              The World Cup is always in one country.....and lasts a month. And has a real drama to it. The group stages then the knockout rounds. A month long Olympics doesn't sound terribly appealing.

Spreading the Olympics all over the place and time sounds like a real loser. As gh notes I can't imagine the IOC or American tv keen on that. Swimming on its own would be more like a swimming World championship which is pretty much ignored now.

Only way to go is a drastically reduced Olympics.
              Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-26-2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

If we're referring to TV then I assume it is US audience we're looking at. I'm not sure that US audience has enough patience for a month long Olympics. It would also split up the sports which are popular instead of bouncing back and forth between them. This, at least to some degree, might reduce the chances that viewers stick with one sport they really don't want to watch because they know, as a for instance, gymnastics is coming up.

Comment

The World Cup is always in one country.....
                  BZZZZZZZT! You are incorrect, sir! I direct you to the 2002 edition.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post

BZZZZZZZT! You are incorrect, sir! I direct you to the 2002 edition.
                    I am well aware of that. I remember it well...But Japan and South Korea are hardly all over the place. Basically the only way they could do it.

The two together are about the size of California.
                    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-26-2020, 08:07 PM.

Comment

The 2026 World Cup is going to be in three countries -- US, Canada and Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                        The 2026 World Cup is going to be in three countries -- US, Canada and Mexico.
                        Yes ....should be interesting.

The European championships this year were going to be spread out all over Europe. Hopefully they will happen next year. We'll see.

Comment

I am well aware of that. I remember it well...But Japan and South Korea are hardly all over the place. Basically the only way they could do it.

The two together are about the size of California.
                          Not to get into a whizzing match, but why, then, did you say, "The World Cup is always in one country"?

Comment

The European championships this year were going to be spread out all over Europe. Hopefully they will happen next year. We'll see.
                            And the OG should follow this model. Let a continent host it. Be good for geo-politics!

Comment

World Cup soccer could be played in 200 citiesin 100 countries and it would still sell; same can't remotely be said of most of the Olympic product. It lives and dies as a single-celled organism.

Comment

Working...
                              X