Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metric vs. Imperial, Part 132

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Metric vs. Imperial, Part 132

    With the advent of both NCAA and many states' HS federations going to metric, the end of Imperial is nigh.

    Reading an article about Piperi, you can see it in action.

    After conference, though, Piperi’s Big 12-winning 68-10 (20.98) had him within 2 inches of Michigan senior Andrew Liskowitz’s 68-11¾ (21.02) under-roof collegiate lead and primed for the NCAA Indoor. “It was going to be a really good meet, I was really excited for it,”Piperi says. “I think there was a list of multiple people throwing up in the 20s.
    That would never have been the case just a short while ago. 'Mid-60s' would have been his statement.

    While I'm nostalgic for Imperial, it is indeed time to move on.

    Anyone here, under 50yo, feel differently? I know the over-60 crowd does.

  • #2
    ncaa/pro field eventers have been referring to their measuerments in metric for decades.

    get back to me when any of them can speak with authority about an event in which they don't compete.

    Comment


    • #3
      And football fields at 100 yards...road signs in miles...etc...Imperial is dead. Right...

      Track in the US went all metric and the public didn't follow......and here we are.

      Comment


      • #4
        I agree. How the athletes think is not as important as how the fans and potential fans think. I'm afraid that as long is this country sticks to Imperial measure in every common reference, joe sixpack is not going to be able to relate to 20 meters. If we want to hold our fan base and expand it, we shouldn't be speaking a foreign language that the average spectator/tv viewer cannot understand.

        Comment


        • #5
          Outdoors is doomed to be metric....

          But if there was any hope of getting track interesting again it would be using old 10 lap tracks indoors with all the races in yards. Heck you only need one and drive it around the country....

          Comment


          • #6
            There's a reason why social distancing in the US is six feet.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
              There's a reason why social distancing in the US is six feet.
              you mean other than because it's less than 2m?

              Comment


              • #8
                If we try hard, we can get at least 100 responses on this thread, to match all the times we've achieved that before when it's come up.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                  If we want to hold our fan base and expand it, we shouldn't be speaking a foreign language that the average spectator/tv viewer cannot understand.
                  You use the same expression I always use when I get sucked into this discussion. Use the language of the audience. For mass and length, conversion from pounds to kg or feet/yards to meters is within an order of magnitude, so not a big deal. But no one discusses time. There will always be a place for 4-minute miles and 2-hour marathons. And when we get to measurements beyond MLT (almost all we use in T&F), metric is often useless.
                  Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I just have to chuckle quietly every time I read that the reason track isn't as popular as it used to be is because of the metric system.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                      Outdoors is doomed to be metric....

                      But if there was any hope of getting track interesting again it would be using old 10 lap tracks indoors with all the races in yards. Heck you only need one and drive it around the country....
                      make that 11 laps

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Bah, humbug, said the entire over-60 crowd.
                        It's coming fast and ain't nuttin we kin do about it!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post

                          make that 11 laps
                          That too!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Bah, humbug, said the entire over-60 crowd.
                            It's coming fast and ain't nuttin we kin do about it!
                            Metric will take over around the same time we convert to base 12.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                              Metric will take over around the same time we convert to base 12.
                              We've already converted to Base 2. Keep up with the times!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X