Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    We've already converted to Base 2. Keep up with the times!
    Well Mr. Binary maybe where you live but I don't believe many people communicate with each other in only 0s and 1s.

Btw this is the 100 meter record in base 2.

1001.1001 0100 0111 1010 1110 0001(2)
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-29-2020, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Anyone here, under 50yo, feel differently? I know the over-60 crowd does.
      Yes. I've only been in the sport for just over a 15 years and have never understood field event measurements in feet/inches. If you told me someone went 25ft, I wouldn't know if it was the long jump, shot put or pole vault.

The world champs and Olympics use metric. Most of the summer pro circuit is outside of the US, and uses metric. The NCAA uses metric. The sport is in metric.

I also find it confusing when there is a discussion on if a mark was 3/4 of an inch or 1/2 and inch when there is a more precise measurement in metric.
      Last edited by ATK; 07-29-2020, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Reading these post one might think that our average age is deceased! Time to bury those feet and inches for good!

Comment

I prefer to work in metric.. but I still convert to Imperial mentally ..

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
            I prefer to work in metric.. but I still convert to Imperial mentally ..
            Me, too, Lonewolf

Comment

It's been discussed/stated before, but the USA will never be metric until that is the only repeat only way they teach in elementary schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                Well Mr. Binary maybe where you live but I don't believe many people communicate with each other in only 0s and 1s.
                Ha! In this time of Covid, MOST of our communications are digital!!

Comment

There will always be the mile - except at high schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                    There will always be the mile - except at high schools.
                    Or any national championships . . . or any Global Championships . . . or . . .

Comment

Or any national championships . . . or any Global Championships . . . or . . .
                      Indoor USATF & NCAA championships have had the mile for past several years.

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
                        Yup, and they have it at Euro Invitationals quite often. It's a quaint idiosyncrasy that has continuing nostalgic appeal, like three-legged and sack and egg&spoon races!

Comment

Indoor USATF has one mile and two miles when there is no World Indoor in the same year.
                          It has 1500m and 3000m when it serves as the qualifying meet for the World Indoor.

Comment

There hasn't been a World Indoors for the past several years (since 2018). But my main point was they have the mile @ USATF the majority of the time (at least every other year) and every year @ the NCAA. Atticus said they don't have it at National Championships.
                            Last edited by J Rorick; 07-30-2020, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Atticus said they don't have it at National Championships*.
                              * that actually matters by selecting a team . . .

Comment

You added that asterisk after the fact, only to make your opinion look more intellectual. :-)

My main point is that the mile isn't as much of an obsolete relic as you and others portray it. Wishful thinking. I honestly have no opinion/preference on whether it should be retained or cast on the garbage pile. If fans like it, keep it around some; if not, get rid of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X