Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asian Giant Hornets

I am participating in my state's citizen scientist trapping program. So far I am catching lots of yellow jackets and bald faced hornets (which I mail to the state weekly), thankfully no AGH so far.

So far there have been five confirmed sightings in the wild, all in Whatcom County (US/Canadian border on the mainland), and now they have their first AGH caught in a trap.

https://agr.wa.gov/about-wsda/news-a...?article=31413

I've read about those big bugs....horrible...

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
      I am catching lots of yellow jackets and bald faced hornets (which I mail to the state weekly)
      We all have our own quirky hobbies!!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        Next step up from Crazy Cat Lady 🤣

Comment

You wouldn't catch me anywhere near one of those big bugs...eek!

Comment

Well, Conor, now we know what techniques to use in your interrogation.

Comment

Indeed....show me one and I'll spill all the beans....

When I lived in Nepal my worse memories are the huge spiders they had.....horrible...
              Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-31-2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

My specialty since moving to the country is hunting yellow jackets, particularly queens in the spring. Around here each dead spring queen is worth about 5,000 worker yellow jackets later in the summer. Last year we had 130 queens, this year 109. Both years were reasonably yellow jacket free in July. The rest of the stinging bugs tend to keep to themselves but yellow jackets are aggressive bastards.

Comment

The photo in the news release linked in the OP did not really show the size of these things, so I had to look further. Wow.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/murder-hornets-photo/
                  Last edited by wamego relays champ; 07-31-2020, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                    My specialty since moving to the country is hunting yellow jackets, particularly queens in the spring. Around here each dead spring queen is worth about 5,000 worker yellow jackets later in the summer. Last year we had 130 queens, this year 109. Both years were reasonably yellow jacket free in July. The rest of the stinging bugs tend to keep to themselves but yellow jackets are aggressive bastards.
                    I'm not afraid of most stinging insects that I come in contact with the exception of yellow jackets. Them bugs are crazy!

Comment

Just trying to help, I'm not really a bug person, but it has been interesting to learn about bald faced hornets. I never noticed them before, but I am seeing them in the garden too, which is several hundred feet from my trap.

Comment

Just trying to help,
                        I was being silly. I think it's great that you're willing to do that. As noted above, them bugs are crazy!

Comment

Just trying to help, I'm not really a bug person, but it has been interesting to learn about bald faced hornets. I never noticed them before, but I am seeing them in the garden too, which is several hundred feet from my trap.
                          I admire you're doing it. Bees, etc. are all necessary parts of the ecosystem.

Comment

I am participating in my state's citizen scientist trapping program. So far I am catching lots of yellow jackets and bald faced hornets (which I mail to the state weekly), thankfully no AGH so far.

So far there have been five confirmed sightings in the wild, all in Whatcom County (US/Canadian border on the mainland), and now they have their first AGH caught in a trap.

https://agr.wa.gov/about-wsda/news-a...?article=31413
                            Sounds fascinating .
                            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

I admire you're doing it. Bees, etc. are all necessary parts of the ecosystem.
                              Thankfully no bees in my official trap yet.

I made a similar trap for my garden, but took it down after it killed two bees. I used the same bait (OJ/Rice wine) but maybe the trap was too low.

Comment

Working...
                              X