Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nest with 1500 hornets found and destroyed in Washington.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/27/10316...ets-state-nest

Comment

Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
      Why would you want to hunt and kill yellow jackets? Leave them bugs alone. Sheeeeese!!!!
      Let's just say I'm not a fan. I have a few wildlife rules on my little five acres, as follows:
      • Yellow jackets - kill, kill, kill
      • All other stinging bugs - ignore unless they nest in a really bad spot.
      • Deer - one acre is deer-fenced off. Deer have complete access to the other four acres.
      • Moles - Craploads of them every year. After figuring out their deal, the only time I've trapped them is when they were headed for the man-made earthen dam that holds up our 15k gallon pond.
      • Everything else (foxes, turkeys, raccoons, mountain lions, bears, elk, etc) can do whatever they want wherever they want. One exception: inside the house - any critters inside the house are fair game.
      bad hammy
      Last edited by bad hammy; 08-27-2021, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Why would you want to hunt and kill yellow jackets? Leave them bugs alone. Sheeeeese!!!!
        They don't leave people alone, so we're not leaving them alone!

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Humans should learn to live with nature.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

West Texas: Black widows, Recluses, scorpions, rattlesnakes, fireants and all of the other stinging aggresive hymenoptera get the "I get you before you get me" treatment, with apologies, except for fireants, which I hate and dispatch with glee.
            You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

West Texas: Black widows, Recluses, scorpions, rattlesnakes, fireants and all of the other stinging aggresive hymenoptera get the "I get you before you get me" treatment, with apologies, except for fireants, which I hate and dispatch with glee.
              Well, those insects were here when humans first came on this Earth, and they will probably still be here when we are gone. LOL!! Hey, I am just saying.

Comment

Well, those insects were here when humans first came on this Earth, and they will probably still be here when we are gone. LOL!! Hey, I am just saying.
                I concede the war, but the battles are mine!
                You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

I concede the war, but the battles are mine!
                  Well you are probably right. I am afraid that is a war humans will not win.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                    My specialty since moving to the country is hunting yellow jackets, particularly queens in the spring. Around here each dead spring queen is worth about 5,000 worker yellow jackets later in the summer. Last year we had 130 queens, this year 109. Both years were reasonably yellow jacket free in July. The rest of the stinging bugs tend to keep to themselves but yellow jackets are aggressive bastards.
                    They are pollinators, we need them even though they are annoying

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post

...........we need them even though they are annoying
                      Kind of like some of my relatives.

Comment

Working...
                      X