X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    TN1965

• TN1965
    replied
    This one is not entirely non-sexual, but I guess the main part is physical and emotional abuse.

Purdue-Fort Wayne volleyball coach gone as more players come forward alleging sexual abuse (yahoo.com)

Six more players have come forward with allegations of physical, emotional and sexual abuse against former volleyball coach Alexis Meeks-Rydell, including a player saying Meeks-Rydell forced her to cuddle in hotel beds on trips to away games.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965

• TN1965
    replied
    She has been living in the US since 2016. And given she is an Olympic gold medalist, she probably had a green card long before her marriage in 2019.

If she was eligible for Eb-1a, the processing time is usually 5-6 months, and as short as 15 days for premium processing.

Leave a comment:

• guru

• guru
    replied
    I suspect Humphries' request to expedite fell under "Emergencies and urgent humanitarian reasons"

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/...footnotelink-2

Edit: On second read it's more likely this - "... the inability to travel for work that would result in job loss might warrant expedited treatment."

Considering she needs a US passport in order to do her "job" at the Olympics this seems more applicable.
    guru
    Last edited by guru; 12-03-2021, 11:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by guru View Post
    Humphries received her US citizenship today. She's good to go for Beijing.
    From another article:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...cs/8845181002/
    Initially told she might not be granted citizenship in time for Beijing, Humphries’ cause was bolstered by the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee and USA Bobsled, as well as Congressional representatives from both parties.

Humphries never asked for special treatment, said her immigration attorney, John Exner. They instead made the case that she qualified for the process by which approval for citizenship can be expedited.
    I wonder how she did that and what that process is. She got married in 2019, and US citizenship* via marriage requires being married to a US citizen for 3 years, so the earliest she could get it via the standard marriage route would be sometime in 2022.

She's not in the US military, so she couldn't qualify for expedited citizenship that way. The other expedited option I'm aware of is for spouses of the military, US diplomats, and certain other employees of the US government who are posted overseas, but it doesn't appear her husband is in any of those categories.

I became a US citizen via the usual 5 year process (plus several years on visas before I got a green card), and during that time I was hunting for faster ways to get it done and couldn't find any options that I qualified for.

*not to be conflated with green card via marriage, which can be as fast as 3 months.
    18.99s
    Last edited by 18.99s; 12-03-2021, 07:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965

• TN1965
    replied
    That's good, assuming there will be Beijing Olympics next year...

Leave a comment:

• guru

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    She is not exactly "young" any more, but...

Bobsledder Humphries left Canada over alleged abuse. The move might cost her an Olympics. (yahoo.com)

Kaillie Humphries, the world's most successful female bobsled driver, lives an American life with her American husband in an American townhouse on an American cul-de-sac about a mile from the first American Legoland. A Team USA flag flutters beside her front door.

Humphries received her US citizenship today. She's good to go for Beijing.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary

• Conor Dary
    replied
    This is a nuts video.... Ross Tucker...

Today’s entrant in the race to the bottom of children’s sports, via
    @SkySportsPL
    https://twitter.com/skysportspl/status/1458728958674051078?s=12

https://mobile.twitter.com/Scienceof...99956749799424

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun

• Davidokun
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Wasn't there a fairly well known video of the Japan woman's volleyball team training with some pretty rough treatment from the coaches? I think the vid was from the 70's or 80's.
    See Post 4.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    When Anne Donovan played in Japan back in 1980s, there was a clause in her contract that the coaches would not slap her. Apparently, that was a thing back then, and she actually witnessed her teammates being slapped during practice.
    Wasn't there a fairly well known video of the Japan woman's volleyball team training with some pretty rough treatment from the coaches? I think the vid was from the 70's or 80's.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    USA Gymnastics fired its security firm after it reported abuse to Safesport:

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/10/2...-to-safesport/
    The odiousness is never-ending.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965

• TN1965
    replied
    When Anne Donovan played in Japan back in 1980s, there was a clause in her contract that the coaches would not slap her. Apparently, that was a thing back then, and she actually witnessed her teammates being slapped during practice.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    Administrator

• gh
    replied
    USA Gymnastics fired its security firm after it reported abuse to Safesport:

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/10/2...-to-safesport/

Leave a comment:

• TN1965

• TN1965
    replied
    She is not exactly "young" any more, but...

Bobsledder Humphries left Canada over alleged abuse. The move might cost her an Olympics. (yahoo.com)

Kaillie Humphries, the world's most successful female bobsled driver, lives an American life with her American husband in an American townhouse on an American cul-de-sac about a mile from the first American Legoland. A Team USA flag flutters beside her front door.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5

• NotDutra5
    replied
    I'm friendly with the parents of a former member of the Gator basketball program who's only comment to me when he mentioned she left the program was that she decided on Florida to get her medical degree. There was a ton of information written on his face when he made the comment that I felt he was holding back.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965

• TN1965
    replied
    Florida's Cameron Newbauer shows how women are failed by sports (yahoo.com)

Who, exactly, is protecting female athletes on college campuses? Anyone?

If headlines from the last few months are any indication, there aren't many who are.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X