Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 College Football

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

    Sure....but like the NBA title...with low ratings .... not many are really paying attention.
    Enough are.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

      Enough are.

      Perhaps not...

      NFL TV Ratings Post Strong Rebound While College Football Continues Decline

      But for college, the restart of the SEC games this past weekend was a bust. Mississippi State’s upset of LSU averaged a 2.5 rating and 4.44 million viewers in Saturday’s season premiere of the SEC on CBS, marking the highest rating and viewership of the college football season. The previous highs were a 2.4 and 4.32 million for Notre Dame’s home opener against Duke on NBC. But ratings fell 17% and viewership 10% from last year’s SEC on CBS debut, which took place one week earlier in the season (Alabama-South Carolina: 3.0, 4.95 million). Versus the same week of last season, ratings still fell 17% and viewership 5% (from Auburn-Texas A&M: 3.0, 4.66 million). Overall, Saturday’s game averaged fewer viewers than 12 of last year’s 16 SEC on CBS windows.

      Most of the other college ratings were dreadful...

      https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza.../#547157612fcc

      Comment


      • Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
        Fowler used to host ESPN Gameday (at the venue of usually their biggest game of the week). HE is now ESPN's lead college football announcer (with Kirk Herbstreit). If you watched the last 3 or 4 BCS Championship games, you were listening to his announcing.
        that splains it Lucy.... I don't do college football

        Comment






        • Florida's Dan Mullen learns the hard way about COVID-19

          The coronavirus is relentless, insidious, infectious and completely oblivious to your opinions.
          Last Saturday afternoon, Florida coach Dan Mullen was pushing for his school to allow some 90,000 fans to jam Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in Gainesville for this week’s matchup with LSU.
          By Wednesday, the game was postponed due to an outbreak of COVID-19 among Florida players and coaches.

          By Saturday, Mullen announced he had COVID-19 himself.
          Just like that.
          There is no need to pile on Mullen. After all, the 48-year-old is stuck dealing with self-isolation, an uncertain schedule and a team full of positive tests. And hopefully that is the worst of it. Hopefully he and his players only experience mild, if any, symptoms. You never know with COVID though.


          https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/flo...mpression=true

          Comment


          • Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
            What about Cahill (who still has his coaching), Chris Fowler (who still has NCAA football), Chris Evert, Patrick McEnroe, Pam Shriver, Brad Gilbert, Mary Jo Fernandez (who still has her rich agent husband, which means she won't get the axe because ESPN wants those Federer interviews at the Slams), and Jason Goodall? And James Blake just left Tennis Channel to join ESPN for the recent U.S. Open.


            Note to gh: the Chris Fowler reference means it's pertinent to NCAA football
            But they aren't full-time ESPN people, they only do about 3-4 events per year that ESPN covers. Except Fowler, but as you pointed out, he covers a lot of other stuff, although I think he is excellent on tennis.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post


              Perhaps not...

              NFL TV Ratings Post Strong Rebound While College Football Continues Decline

              But for college, the restart of the SEC games this past weekend was a bust. Mississippi State’s upset of LSU averaged a 2.5 rating and 4.44 million viewers in Saturday’s season premiere of the SEC on CBS, marking the highest rating and viewership of the college football season. The previous highs were a 2.4 and 4.32 million for Notre Dame’s home opener against Duke on NBC. But ratings fell 17% and viewership 10% from last year’s SEC on CBS debut, which took place one week earlier in the season (Alabama-South Carolina: 3.0, 4.95 million). Versus the same week of last season, ratings still fell 17% and viewership 5% (from Auburn-Texas A&M: 3.0, 4.66 million). Overall, Saturday’s game averaged fewer viewers than 12 of last year’s 16 SEC on CBS windows.

              Most of the other college ratings were dreadful...

              https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza.../#547157612fcc
              Again...enough are.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

                But they aren't full-time ESPN people, they only do about 3-4 events per year that ESPN covers. Except Fowler, but as you pointed out, he covers a lot of other stuff, although I think he is excellent on tennis.
                I agree with you about Fowler. I think he's a great multi-sport announcer (he also does soccer), one who does his research when tackling a sport he hasn't broadcast before (unlike, say, Tom Hammond, to beat a dead horse). I'd liken him to Dick Enberg, Charlie Jones, Al Michaels (a bit tired now) & Ted Robinson in the multi-sport announcer bastion.

                But my point was, is ESPN going to continue to employ all the tennis announcers, full-time or part-time?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
                  But my point was, is ESPN going to continue to employ all the tennis announcers, full-time or part-time?
                  Not if they do zero tennis, but if they cover any, they gotta have somebody on who knows something about the sport

                  Comment


                  • One endless tennis thread is enough...

                    Meanwhile....

                    Nick Saban tested positive for Covid a few days ago and here he is, mask off yelling at an official. The SEC and Alabama are pathetic.

                    https://mobile.twitter.com/seankent/...72571391889408

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                      One endless tennis thread is enough...

                      Meanwhile....

                      Nick Saban tested positive for Covid a few days ago and here he is, mask off yelling at an official. The SEC and Alabama are pathetic.

                      https://mobile.twitter.com/seankent/...72571391889408
                      And this is why Fauci is right about his predictions.

                      How is it that what was once the undisputed most powerful country in the world be so f'd up

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                        One endless tennis thread is enough...

                        Meanwhile....

                        Nick Saban tested positive for Covid a few days ago and here he is, mask off yelling at an official. The SEC and Alabama are pathetic.

                        https://mobile.twitter.com/seankent/...72571391889408
                        Yeah, because no one outside of the SEC is flouting the mask rules.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

                          Yeah, because no one outside of the SEC is flouting the mask rules.
                          Exactly...and why I despise college football these days.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by J Rorick
                            Note to gh: the Chris Fowler reference means it's pertinent to NCAA football
                            Originally posted by gh View Post
                            never heard of him/her
                            If you've watched any college football in recent years you've heard him since he calls the national championship game and one of the semifinals as well as ABC/ESPN's weekly "center court" during the regular season.

                            Comment


                            • meanwhile, in fantasyland.....

                              Can a 7-win Pac-12 team make the playoffs? It’s complicated



                              https://apnews.com/article/virus-out...9dc6612dd9aaec

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

                                Yeah, because no one outside of the SEC is flouting the mask rules.
                                https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-covid-19-test

                                "Alabama team physician Dr. Jimmy Robinson said in a statement that Saban had negative polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests at 7 a.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday following an initial positive test Wednesday. The school added that two additional PCR tests, from Thursday and Friday, were taken "out of an abundance of caution" and also were found to be negative at a separate lab.

                                "Due to the fact that Coach Saban has remained completely symptom-free and had five negative PCR tests, split between two separate labs, the initial test from Wednesday is considered a false positive under the SEC protocols," Robinson said. "In accordance with the SEC Return to Activity and Medical Guidance Task Force Protocol and with the approval of The University of Alabama System Health and Safety Task Force, Coach Saban is medically cleared to safely return to activity effective immediately."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X