X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eugene fire situation [split]

of enough interest/depth to get its own thread

In the RG ...

Due to the nearby McKenzie Fire and windy conditions, the City of Eugene Parks and Open Space Division has closed both the entire Ridgeline Park System as well as Skinner Butte Summit in downtown Eugene through Thursday morning. Hendricks Park is considered part of the Ridgeline Park System so it will be closed as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
      That is awful bad hammy. Nothing scarier to me in nature than a wildfire. Hope it slows down and snuffs out before more damage is done.
      Growing up in earthquake country, earthquakes never worried me much, but I was also within a few miles of the Oakland Hills most of my life. Until the 1991 fire I never gave fire much of a thought. That's certainly changed.

Conor, at 47 crow-fly miles, is about eight miles closer to Blue River than I am, but then for all I know some dummy a few doors down from me is having a gender reveal party today, so you never know. We have friends in Marcola, 30 miles away from Blue River, who just received the official "be ready to evacuate with no notice" notice. This morning Walterville was the "be ready" line, now they're evacuating.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        In the RG ...

Due to the nearby McKenzie Fire and windy conditions, the City of Eugene Parks and Open Space Division has closed both the entire Ridgeline Park System as well as Skinner Butte Summit in downtown Eugene through Thursday morning. Hendricks Park is considered part of the Ridgeline Park System so it will be closed as well.
        Begs the question "who in their right mind would want to be out hiking today"?

Comment

No one...no one walking around here. I've been out a few times for a couple of minutes. The smoke is overwhelming.

Comment

From an acquaintance...part of Springfield now.

I have friends on Leaburg Dr and Greenwood Dr off McKenzie. One
            evacuated at midnight and the other at 4 AM. At least they are safe-I'm
            hoping for the best for their homes, though it's not looking great. Even
            my nephew south of 48th and Main in Springfield was told earlier that he
            was under Evacuation level 2.

Comment

From the Lane County Government Facebook page, from an hour ago:
              Lane County: Level 2 BE READY Evacuation for all residents in the entire Marcola/Mohawk Valley, including Camp Creek and Upper Camp Creek to Linn County line.

Level 2 means being prepared to leave at a moment’s notice.

Comment

Marcola is 20 miles from here.

Comment

Satellite video of the smoke..

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOE...OLOR&length=24

Comment

meanwhile, a coupla blocks over from Hayward Field

Wild Duck Cafe
                    tuStpo8nmsofred ·
                    We have closed due to emergency evacuations with employees. We will keep you updated.

Comment

Eugene cam

https://www.kezi.com/weather/weather...ntown%20Eugene

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                        meanwhile, a coupla blocks over from Hayward Field

Wild Duck Cafe
                        tuStpo8nmsofred ·
                        We have closed due to emergency evacuations with employees. We will keep you updated.
                        Curious what that is all about. There are no evacuation warnings for Eugene as of now. Or even Springfield. Evacuation center is Thurston High School in Springfield. Could be employees who live in level 3 areas which are only 15 miles away.
                        Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-09-2020, 01:57 AM.

Comment

hokey-smokes! As of 19:52 tonite, Eugene's air-quality index is 463!

Comment

I believe it. Its really bad. But 463 is something else. 300 is Hazardous.
                            Last edited by Conor Dary; 09-09-2020, 03:00 AM.

Comment

and now I'm told than an hour ago the downtown reading was 609!

Comment

Working...
                              X