Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knew all the politicians and Fauci and Roberts the only ones worth knowing. And how many know who Ursula von der Leyen is with more power and influence than a thousand celebrities combined.

And who cares about the rest. Yo Yo Ma a great musician but who cares what he says unless he said something like Mozart was way over rated and a loser.

The others are people who say buy A instead of B.

All pretty silly.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-01-2020, 09:45 PM.

Comment

So if Nicki Minaj begat Cardi B who begat Megan Thee Stallion, shouldn't Nicki Minaj be the one on the most influential list? I am familiar with the 1st two but did not know about the product of Cardi B's begatting (wasn't paying attention the past week or two).

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
        All pretty silly.
        I tend to take the approach of Atticus, which is to say that rather than focus on who was included or not on of a list of influential people, a compilation like this is simply a starting point to learning a little bit more about the world.

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

I tend to take the approach of Atticus, which is to say that rather than focus on who was included or not on of a list of influential people, a compilation like this is simply a starting point to learning a little bit more about the world.
          Indeed....how vacuous and trivial it is.

Comment

Indeed....how vacuous and trivial it is.
            You keep forgetting to add "to me"; the cardinal sin of all geezers. Bah, humbug.
            There are 100s of millions of people who are interested in their share of people you dismiss. And think the people you deem significant as . . . nothing . . . in their lives.
            I too am a geezer and wonder what the attraction is of many of those people, but the very fact that Time included them signifies an ignorance on my part of what the rest of America is thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
              So if Nicki Minaj begat Cardi B who begat Megan Thee Stallion, shouldn't Nicki Minaj be the one on the most influential list?
              Tempus fugit! She WAS . . . ain't no mo. The other two are riding higher because they evolved and owe their popularity to harnessing many power streams in pop culture.
              Isaac Newton stood on the shoulders of giants, but their influence on him does not make them greater (to go waaay over the top in an analogy!).
              Last edited by Atticus; 10-02-2020, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

Isaac Newton stood on the shoulders of giants, but their influence on him does not make them greater (to go waaay over the top in an analogy!).
                Yeah, Juice Newton would be a more appropriate analogy.

Comment

All pretty silly.
                  Agree. And yet, TIME devoted an entire issue to it.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post

Agree. And yet, TIME devoted an entire issue to it.
                    ...and has for years and it can't be appropriate because anyone recognizes the names in years past and now inappropriate when those same people don't. Chances are it is the reader who has changed and, in particular, aged.

Comment

I recognized 30 FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
                        So what do they really men when they say "influential"? I mean, if no one have ever heard of most of these people, well............
                        The only meaning I can find is that Time really wants you to be influenced by them now.

Taking Time's writers seriously, that is, actually believing that they have told you who the world's 100 most influential people are with this list is, to say the least, wildly naive.
                        Last edited by user4; 10-02-2020, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Klingon View Post
                          So what do they really men when they say "influential"? I mean, if no one have ever heard of most of these people, well............
                          The reason why we've never heard of most of them is because most aren't Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

The reason why we've never heard of most of them is because most aren't Americans.
                            I identified 43 as non-American. Four of whom were among the 17 I recognized.

Comment

They were cited as influential, not well-known.

Comment

Not even as "most influential". I guess each of them has influence in certain circles.
                                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                                X